Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
X.org Lockups (part 2)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 1:07 am    Post subject: X.org Lockups (part 2) Reply with quote

Continues this thread.
ikaro
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xorg-x11- 6.8.99.5 seems to be working fine with the "nv" driver - however using the nvidia releases still locks everything.
linux: #232767
jdgill0
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran 2.6.11-gentoo-r7 with 4k stacks disabled for 58 hours before xorg crashed again. I am now going to try running xorg with DRI disabled in my xorg.conf file -- still using ati-drivers though.

This has to be the most irritating experience with Linux that I have ever had :!: ... If I could just jump to a console, be able to actually kill xorg, and then restart my desktop, as opposed to doing a hard reboot, it would be a lot more tolerable. :evil:
nemectic
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this has come up yet, but I noticed the other day that this bug only seems to happen when I'm highlighting text.
ie. I'm reading a long un-paragraphed message and highlight it via the mouse so i can easily see what part I've read up to.

Does this apply to anyone else, or just me?
jspeybro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I just thought I should I add my experience with this bug.

When I was running gentoo with kernel 2.6.11-gentoo-r6, and latest xorg (april 30st), I had no lockups.
Interesting things here were that I wasn't able to install QT or GTK+. However, I was using the nvidia driver. Because I wans't able to install gtk+, I wasn't able to install all kind of things like firefox, gimp, ... So I was only using mc,links,nano, aterm,... textbased stuff.

because of my problems with gtk and qt, I switched to debian sarge (testing).
On this installation, I'm using a default kernel (2.6.8-2-386). Debian still uses xfree86. I also installed the nvidia drivers here. I can thell you that I had lockups with xfree too. I then installed xorg-x11 (Ubuntu hoary binaries), but the lockups didn't go away. The lockups usually happen with firefox, but it happened also with konqueror. So it's NOT xorg-related I think.
Another thing that I found interesting is that when I used k3B, and tried to erase a cdrw. as soon as I hit the start-button, I had a lockup, however, k3b (actually probably the backend program) just started erasing the cdrw and finished it without any problems.

I'm thinking that it might have to do something with accessing the hardware.
I think this because k3b is accessing the hardware.
On the ubuntu forum, someone mentioned removing hdparm. again, this has something to do with access to the hardware.
and the next also makes me think in this direction:
If I enable Option "RenderAccel" in xorg.conf, I get a lockup as soon as the kde splash image apears.
If I disable this option, I get less lockups, but they still happen.
If I switch to the nv driver instead of the nvidia driver, it also seems to work better for me, but I cant' confirm yet if they went away, I'l have to test it a bit more. On the ubuntu thread (which was mentioned in part 1 of this thread, one of the last pages) there were also a few xorg.conf options that were mentionned. 1 was switching AGP to a lower rate (1X instead of 2x, 2x instead of 4X,...), again, hardware related.

My guess is that somewhere a link between the software and the hardware isn't behavin properly which is causing a problem in all sort of programs
maybe a note in response to earlier questions about gkrellm, I don't have that installed, but I do have torsmo.
Then again, gkrellm also displays hardware info! (but torsmo does too, and it also freezes during a lockup).
for framebuffer, I have vesafb.

I hope my thoughts are of any help in solving this big mistery.
Once I've posted this messege, I'll take a look at my log-files to see if there is anything interesting in it. (I just don't want to risk a lockup and having to type all this again :?

Johan
http://counter.li.org - Registered Linux user #295636
John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nemectic wrote:
I don't know if this has come up yet, but I noticed the other day that this bug only seems to happen when I'm highlighting text.
ie. I'm reading a long un-paragraphed message and highlight it via the mouse so i can easily see what part I've read up to.

Does this apply to anyone else, or just me?

No haven't had that. What I can't work out - is why some people get this frequently and others less so, I've been going for a good while now without a lockup, last one was whilst viewing a dvd using Xine.
jspeybro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that some people have more lockups than others, maybe these people tweaked there computer more, and thus making more use of there hardware capabilities (dma, 3D accelleration, more specific drivers). If it is indead related to what I stated above, this could more or less explain the difference.
Another thing that I noticed, It always seems to be related to graphics and drives, but never sound. or did I miss something on that...

So far, I have been able to erase cdrw without a problem, swithc tabs, scroll pages, select text without any poblems. Hope I'm released from the bugs. (I think in my case the solution was switching back to the nv-drivers and without all the 3D accelleration tweaking).
[edit]
:cry: another lockup, this time with firefox and konqueror in the background, an maximized aterm and it happened while doing an apt-get update...
[/edit]
Johan
nemectic
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another thing....for me at least, I tend to be away on work quite a lot, and when I am I never get lockups...

I bring this up because I'm only online when I'm at home, though I still use all the same apps (including firefox)
when I'm at work, so for me at least, these lockups only happen in X while im online.
And possibly only when I'm highlighting text, have stopped that since I noticed though, I'll post back whether it's
a lasting solution or just luck...

AndyH
scooper
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: AGP aperture possibility? Reply with quote

I tried setting my AGP aperture in the BIOS to 32 MB. It was 64 MB. I couldn't crash the same Gentoo system running simultaneous large glxgears windows and banging around Firefox in a way that reliably crashed things before. Of course nothing is proven until I live with it for a week or so. Unfortunately I was a naughty debugger and changed two things simultaneously, because I also reduced the AGP speed to 2x (it was 4x).

I'm only contributing this post because I hadn't seen the AGP aperture mentioned. General advice is that too large an aperture can contribute to instability. Of course something new in our software is also contributing. Perhaps Xorg is more aggressively using video memory and accessing the system RAM through the aperture? Just a wild guess, but maybe it's worth a try. Is there a way to monitor how video RAM is used? I'm running a P4 system with an SIS chip set, an NVidia GeForce GTS w/32 MB , and Gentoo 2004.3 with the latest stable xorg and kernel. Sorry, I'm on Windoze right now and can't supply the exact versions. :?

Cheers,
Steve
dpshak
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

Well, I'm back home and figured I would update on what has occurred. I started all over from scratch on the AMD machine - stage 1 tarball, minimal drivers, and USE= X kde alsa dvd cdr. After all was compiled and running, I emerged Xorg-X11 6.8.2-r1. This morning, after all was complete - with no errors, I configured X, using xorgconfig with the "nv" driver and did startx. Same problems as I mentioned previously! (Mind you NO high end windows managers i.e. KDE).

So I decided to fiddle with the settings in xorg.conf. I started by commenting out the nvidia related device and using the generic vga device.(I also changed the driver under the screen to standard vga) Of course that failed - only because it doesn't support a DefaultDepth of 24. I changed the default depth to 8 and lo and behold no problems. Obviously the resolution wasn't very good but it was a start. So then I tried uncommenting the nvidia stuff, commenting out the vga stuff (possible conflict?) and did startx. Same problems as before. So I thought well I will try installing the "official" nvidia driver. That didn't work initially either. Now it gets a little foggy. I set nvidia to autoload and according to dmesg it did but now I'm not certain if it did. After rebooting, I did startx and it returned an error saying that the nvidia driver wasn't found. So I played around a little bit and kept getting the same error. I then thought let's see what other nvidia stuff is available. So I emerged nvidia-settings-*. Tried to run that but got an error that it couldn't start. I figured that had to do with the fact that X wasn't running. So I did startx and the nvidia splash page popped up, then xdm popped up. I tried shutdown->immediately and by gosh it worked! So then I tried nvidia-settings, and IT worked! I exited out of there, tried nano /etc/rc.conf in xterm and it worked flawlessly! I tried changing resolutions (ctrl-alt-+) - perfect. Finally I mashed shutdown->immediately again and once again X shutdown. So the foggy part is I don't know if while playing around trying to get the nvidia driver to work that it actually started working - or if something that was installed while emerging nvidia-settings-* made it work. (I got sidetracked - had to take the wife shopping javascript:emoticon(':(') )

So here's where I'm at. Xorg.conf has all the vga related device stuff commented out, using the official nvidia driver with the appropriate settings and as I write this that machine is emerging kdebase for further testing. Seems like too simple a solution... I"ll post the results for kde when it is done.
dpshak
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

Just a quick update kdebase 3.4 is up and running... It hasn't missed a beat yet!
fotisaueb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By switching to AGP 2x instead of 4x I have managed to keep the system up for 5days .Until now reducing of AGP clock is the best solution. I hope that I wont come up with another lockup
MalachiX
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Well Well Well... Reply with quote

Out of frustration, I just back up my stuff and reformated the entire harddrive. Then I installed Gentoo again. Turns out I still got the random freeze even after all that. So I just want to advise people if you think reinstalling the Distro from scratch will fix your problem your sadly mistaken. Instead of doing that just try to figure out and resolve the problem.
jspeybro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an idea.
to help new people encountering this problem, is anyone interested in making a 'little' summary of all the suggestions that have been submitted, and things that were shown not to be the cause of the problem.
Just so that not everyone has to read those 30 pages of posts...

Johan
Nerdanel
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't feel up to re-reading all those pages, but here's from memory.

- The problem appears normally in connection with a quick succession of redraw events. In many cases user interaction is required in the form of the system responding to keyboard or mouse clicks, but freezes can also be caused by video playback or in the most serious cases nothing more than the GUI loading.

- It's not KDE, Gnome, Firefox, etc. problem, but comes from a deeper level common for all.

- Both xorg and xfree are affected. Downgrading has proven unsuccessful.

- It's not an ATI or nVidia problem. nv is affected to a lesser degree than the closed-source nvidia. In some cases nv may be perfectly stable where nvidia is not. vesa is the only driver not affected, apparently because it is so primitive. The problem either comes from a deeper level or results from a common thing every advanced graphics driver does.

- It's not about overly aggressive compiler flags in xorg. It's not even about -fomit-frame-pointer. Xorg compiled with -march=something -O2 is enough to trigger lockups.

- Experiments with different versions of gcc have been fruitless.

- Downgrading glibc hasn't helped.

- Recompiling/reinstalling various programs or the entire system has had no effect.

- The problem isn't related to some specific kernel option being on or off and appears in multiple kernel versions. Downgrading to a formerly stable kernel (with no changes to the config) didn't make the system stable for the one person who tried it.

- The potential fault of Gentoo's newer profiles or baselayouts hasn't been properly researched. However it isn't just a Gentoo problem.

- Slightly incompatible/flaky hardware may have something to do with it. However the problem is not limited to one type of motherboard or graphics card.

- Various people have reported success with miscellaneus things like like setting noapic on the kernel's command line, nolapic, adjusting the AGP value, uninstalling hdparm... Other people have reported that these things were not successful for them. More research is needed to sort through the complexity.
muttijay
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: is this because of bios / nvidia / agp conflicts Reply with quote

I thought i would be wise to swith to my old runnin' debian system - alwas 'stable' .....

experienced a same problem while installing themes for my boxs:

the lockup happend when the fan - or some other hardware was accessed- the noise level levered ....

so this morning i checked the debian mailinglist, end e viola : there was this thread, funny anyways:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-amd64/2005/05/msg00110.html

so lets see whats commin from there....

prostataaa

its like the one night stand of operating systems,
you feel cheap after using it...
dpst
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: AGP aperture possibility? Reply with quote

scooper wrote:
I tried setting my AGP aperture in the BIOS to 32 MB. It was 64 MB. I couldn't crash the same Gentoo system running simultaneous large glxgears windows and banging around Firefox in a way that reliably crashed things before. Of course nothing is proven until I live with it for a week or so. Unfortunately I was a naughty debugger and changed two things simultaneously, because I also reduced the AGP speed to 2x (it was 4x).

I'm only contributing this post because I hadn't seen the AGP aperture mentioned. General advice is that too large an aperture can contribute to instability. Of course something new in our software is also contributing. Perhaps Xorg is more aggressively using video memory and accessing the system RAM through the aperture? Just a wild guess, but maybe it's worth a try. Is there a way to monitor how video RAM is used? I'm running a P4 system with an SIS chip set, an NVidia GeForce GTS w/32 MB , and Gentoo 2004.3 with the latest stable xorg and kernel. Sorry, I'm on Windoze right now and can't supply the exact versions. :?

Cheers,
Steve

I can confirm this helped, already running 2 days without a crash, I have P4 with VIA chipset, Nvidia GF4MX w/ 32MB, nvidia's driver, X.org 6.8.2 and 2.6.11-ck7 kernel. AGP aperture was 64MB, after setting it to 32MB it's rock solid.
Gergan Penkov
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First setting AGP apperture to 128 or 32 (64 is default) didn't help at all in running kde, this means there will be lockup some time later, sorry::((
I have a new idea - I'm using nvidia driver without RenderAccel and it is rock stable, kde starts, no lockups in gnome with firefox and so on. But today I found some new problem, I have had the perl rebuilder started in terminal, after some time I switched from X back to the terminal and it has gone in some powersaving mode (console blanking) or sth like that from which it could not wake up, I could go back to X with ctrl+alt+f7, but I don't have terminals ::(( no one...
And earlier I have found out, that with RenderAccel option I could start kde from the terminal if I switch back to terminal right after the nvidia logo. (no I don't have any splashes nor fb-compiled in).
This leads me to think that the problem is somewhere in console blanking,agetty or init - accordingly kernel, util-linux ot sysvinit.
Could someone try if the lockups persist if he uses qingy (for example) for all terminals (I don't have time right now).
Be glad you finally walked away or you may have not lived another day."
Godsmack
scooper
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been running qingy when I've had the lockups. I forgot if running the console in non-framebuffer pure text mode is a work-around?
Jimmy Jazz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xorg (part 1) was locked. Sorry for the delay :)

@MalachiX

IO-APIC is not Local APIC. Via-Rhine should work with Local APIC.

@Gergan Penkov

i think you get the message
Code:

NMI watchdog NMI appears to be stuck!

because /proc/interrupts returns always zero for NMI.

There is something misconfigured in your kernel. If it is still zero, your processor isn't compatible with the actual nmi code.

You need IO-APIC or Local APIC support in your kernel if respectively you processor is or isn't with an IO-APIC.

Local APIC (nmi_watchdog=2) doesn't work on 64bit Intel family. You can enable NMI watchdog with nmi_watchdog=1 boot parameter instead. I don't know if it work with athlon64 CPUs.

You can read more about APIC in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/nmi_watchdog.txt.

Jj

+----+----+----+
|    |::::|    |
+----+----+----+

motto: WeLCRO
WritE Less Code, Repeat Often
fotisaueb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 6 days of uptime Xorg crashed again so AGP clock has nothing to do with xorg lockups....:?
Are we ever going to find a solution on this?
Jimmy Jazz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@fotisaueb

emerge memtest86 and add it in grub.conf then check your ram modules :!:
Code:

title=Memtest86
root (hd0,0)
kernel /memtest86/memtest.bin

Of course, you need to adapt it at your needs!

I suggest you to downgrade xorg, firefox and nvidia or ati driver with a more older stable one to check if the new combination of softwares give you better results :(

Don't activate DRM, framebuffer (fbsplash) and DRI in your kernel and configure opengl with
Code:

opengl-update xorg-x11
only.

Last but not least, verify if your power supply and your motherboard voltage settings for your RAMs, AGP, CPUs work well. Otherwise try to increase them. In my case, i do have to increase RAM voltage to make my motherboard more stable. But, the counterpart you could damage them and ... peraphs your motherboard too (for the price of a new motherboard that does certainly not matter ;).

emerging lm_sensors could help you to find out if the voltage and the temperature didn't exceed the motherboard and CPU specifications.

If you cannot isolate the problem, i really don't have any idea what is going on :(

Jj

+----+----+----+
+----+----+----+

motto: WeLCRO
WritE Less Code, Repeat Often
DaMightyWhightyMan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres my experience, I install gentoo, emerge xorg.. configure x with nv driver. Then i can run X without noticable lock ups. Then i emerge blackbox, startx (using blackbox wm) when i launch Xterm, system locks up but mouse still works (can't switch to other consoles though). I hard restart. Now whenever i launch X in the default wm (don't remember what it's called) System freezes. So for me it has to do something with emerging blackbox. Thats just my computer though...
jdgill0
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back again, with better news -- sort of.

I have been running without a crash/lockup for over 81 hours now -- just under 3.5 days. I am using ati-drivers-8.12.0, xorg-6.8.2-r1, and gentoo-2.6.11-r7. I am using the same kernel config as I have always used, includes adding back the 4K stacks that I reported removing in my last post.

Unfortunately, the "fix" (so far) has been to comment out the Load "dri" line in my xorg.conf file. This seems to me a better solution (if it actually is one and you absolutely don't need dri) than changing to 2X, reducing the agp apperature size, etc ... I suppose time will tell if I continue without problems.
Sars
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this kind of lockup for weeks now. When using the nvidia driver xorg starts normally. But after Login when this KDE splash screen appears X crashes. This happens always and not randomly. If i use the nv driver there is no Problem, no crash at all.
As reported elsewhere i can't use keyboard and mouse but ssh in an kill X.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 1 of 37

Jump to: