Adding a Printerdriver to Cups
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Becks
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 7:24 pm    Post subject: Adding a Printerdriver to Cups Reply with quote

Ok,
i installed cups and found out how to install a printer using the webinterface. But when i had a look at the list of supported drivers my printer (Hp 2200D) was missing. On hp.sourceforge.net i found a solution for redhat and mandrake using their way to upgrade the system and the pure printer drivers (ending on .ppd).
So what next ? I didn't find a hint how i could update the database of drivers so i di it the dirty way:

1) Install a printer on cups
It doesn't matter what kind of printer you choose, simply take one and install it the normal way.

2) Open a shell and change to /etc/cups/ppd
You'll find a file there with the same name you have chosen while installing it in 1). Simply replace this file with the printer driver you have found somewhere else (like on hp.sourceforge.net).

3) restart cupsd

4) Open the printer configuration panel of cups (localhost:631/printers -> configure) and change the settings (f.e. paper size) to your own needs.

That's all and it worked for me when installing a HP 2200D on my machine.

Alex
darktux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hpijs-1.3.1.ebuild wrote:

einfo "To use the hpijs driver with the cups spooler, you will need the .ppd file"
einfo "for your printer. You may obtain it from:"
einfo "http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_driver.cgi?driver=hpijs"
einfo "Install it in /usr/share/cups/model. After restarting cups you should be"
einfo "able to use the new driver."
else
einfo "To use the hpijs driver with the PDQ spooler you will need the PDQ driver file"
einfo "for your printer from http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_driver.cgi?driver=hpijs"
einfo "This file should be installed in /etc/pdq/drivers"

www.tuxslare.org - My reborn website :P
Ka6aH
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is another way to add drivers to cups. In my example I install drivers for Lexmark Optra S series printer (there is no driver for it in gimp-print & cups packages)

First, going to http://www.easysw.com/printpro/software.php, accepting license (if you accept terms & conditions of this license, of course), choose operating system (Linux 2.4 Intel glibc 2.2 in our case), "continue download software" and choose vendor of our printer (Lexmark in our case).

After download we have file printpro-lexmark-4.3.tar.gz.
Code:
cd /tmp
mkdir printpro
cd printpro # create temporary directory for our drivers
tar -zxpvf /path/to/drivers/printpro-lexmark-4.3.tar.gz # unpack archive
tar -xpvf printpro-lexmark.ss # unpack drivers
su - # switch to super user
cp -a /tmp/printpro/usr/share/cups/model/en/ /usr/share/cups/model/ # copy drivers to cups
/etc/init.d/cupsd stop # "hard" cups daemon restart
/etc/init.d/cupsd start
rm -rf /tmp/printpro # cleanup

After this step cups have needed driver. Now go to http://localhost:631/ and configure cups as usual.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: