Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Stage 1/3 Installation Support - 2005.0 & GCC 3.4.3
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 22, 23, 24  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ats2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
ats2 wrote:
For the tarball, I'm afraid I don't understand : I followed the guide you provide, then (see above) ran emerge --update and emerge replaced the packages given above by the ones given above also.

its a very simple question actually -- what tarball did you wget when you did the install.

Oh, that one ! I thought you were talking about updating from a tarball. :lol:

Here are the two tarballs I used :

portage : portage-20050419.tar.bz2
stage 3 : stage3-pentium4-2005.0.tar.bz2

Both md5 checksums were correct.
southpaw
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Sith,
Thanks for your reply, however, I won't be able to try your suggestion until later tonight for I too many arron's to run today on this manic monday. Now after I read your post I got to thinking about the command you told me to try and it made me wonder about my current install as opposed to my prior install that posted about on page 16 I think. Anyway, what I wanted to ask you before I start rambling too much is, do you think that this issue has anything to do with a funky binutils ebuild for the pentium3 architecture? Now me being a noob and all, I don't know if the ebuilds are written as architecture specific or are they written as one for all, for example binutils-2.15.92.0.2-r2 for all x86 (i686, pentium3, pentium4, and so on..)??
Just a thought, I didn't mean to go too off topic if I was, I just thought I'd ask.
thanx
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

southpaw wrote:
Hey Sith,
Thanks for your reply, however, I won't be able to try your suggestion until later tonight for I too many arron's to run today on this manic monday. Now after I read your post I got to thinking about the command you told me to try and it made me wonder about my current install as opposed to my prior install that posted about on page 16 I think. Anyway, what I wanted to ask you before I start rambling too much is, do you think that this issue has anything to do with a funky binutils ebuild for the pentium3 architecture? Now me being a noob and all, I don't know if the ebuilds are written as architecture specific or are they written as one for all, for example binutils-2.15.92.0.2-r2 for all x86 (i686, pentium3, pentium4, and so on..)??
Just a thought, I didn't mean to go too off topic if I was, I just thought I'd ask.
thanx
If emerging with -strict fixes the problem, then the problem is a result of a bad ebuild combined with a recent major change in portage: that is making strict checking the default. If that fixes it you should file a bug report about it, since the change in portage neccesitates fixing bad ebuilds.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i have seen that problem too. for those who may not be aware of it, there is a sticky thread about it in Portage and Programming:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-325007.html

i would expect that if portage's new default of strict features checking were the problem, then he might have gotten a digest verification warning. unfortunately, the error that he's listed is kind of sketchy. :?
southpaw
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,
thanks for the heads up on that bug report Bob, I had a funny feeling once I seen the FEATURES="-strict" command that Sith tipped me off to, that it had something to do with bad ebuilds. That seems to happening all too often lately, anyway I'm about to dive back in here. I already made my adjustment in my make.conf so I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
thanx again
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

southpaw wrote:
Hey guys,
thanks for the heads up on that bug report Bob, I had a funny feeling once I seen the FEATURES="-strict" command that Sith tipped me off to, that it had something to do with bad ebuilds. That seems to happening all too often lately, anyway I'm about to dive back in here. I already made my adjustment in my make.conf so I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
thanx again
That might not be the solution though, so just be prepared for it not to work. :(
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

realistically, speaking, changing the features checking in portage to strict hasn't caused ebuilds to go bad -- its just thrown up a brick wall that stops some of the bad ebuilds from compiling. the problem isn't really that ebuilds are suddenly going bad -- the problem is that some ebuild maintainers have always been lazy and sloppy, and their ebuilds have always been bad, but they've gone undetected for a long time. the absence of strict features checking in portage has allowed the shoddy ebuild maintainers to get away with shoddy maintenance. the implementation of strict features checking in portage is designed to stop these people dead in their tracks and compel them to fix their ebuilds. ultimately, i think its a good idea, but its definitely a speedbump right now.
ats2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm. Okay.
Back to gcc 3.3.5 I guess.

Cheers.
southpaw
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again,
I just thought I'd let you guys know that disabeling strict under FEATURES worked fine, however, a couple of steps later in the guide where it says to enter:

# gcc-config -l

...the output shows this:

[1] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.5-20050130 *
[2] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.5-20050130-hardened
[3] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.5-20050130-hardenednopie
[4] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.5-20050130-hardenednossp

I'm a little confused here, because I haven't done anything out of the ordinary other than
FEATURES="-strict"
and i don't think that would do cause the problem, but then again how would I know...
Let me know what you guys think,
thanx
southpaw
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,
I'd like to apologize about my last post, I made a mistake and for some odd reason I figured out how to fix it.
I didn't realize at first that when I entered the command:

gcc-config -l

and I got the out that I showed you was directly affected by /etc/portage/package.keywords
heres how I had it originally:

sys-devel/gcc~x86
sys-devel/gcc-config~x86
sys-libs/libstdc++-v3~x86
sys-libs/glibc~x86

...and then this is how I changed it:

sys-devel/gcc ~x86
sys-devel/gcc-config ~x86
sys-libs/libstdc++-v3 ~x86
sys-libs/glibc ~x86

unfortunately I was a little thrown by the guide because of the way my printer printed it up, it looked as if there wasn't supposed to be a space before ~x86, but last night I started browsing "portage & programming" and I saw a thread where they were disscussing errors due to incorrect keywords which made me think about how I had entered the text. Anyway, this isn't the first time I've made this mistake but it is the first time I figured out how to correct it and just in case any other nOOb's made the same mistake they can see this post and realize how to correct it without going to the lengths that I've gone through to correct it.
thanx again
southpaw
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally,
well, I just finished with the install and I'm in the process of installing my desktop environment, the system is running great. Once again I'd like to thank you guys for helping me out I really appreciate your comments and suggestions.
thanx
starrbuck
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

southpaw wrote:
well, I just finished with the install and I'm in the process of installing my desktop environment, the system is running great.

The first time you fire up Gentoo and see how much faster than other distros it is, you become a believer. :-)
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uh... i think he was referring to how much faster the Stage 1/3 install is than out-of-the-box Gentoo. :wink:
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
 _   _              _            _                 _
| |_| |__   ___    (_) __ _  ___| | ____ _ ___ ___| |
| __| '_ \ / _ \   | |/ _` |/ __| |/ / _` / __/ __| |
| |_| | | |  __/   | | (_| | (__|   < (_| \__ \__ \_|
 \__|_| |_|\___|  _/ |\__,_|\___|_|\_\__,_|___/___(_)
                 |__/

/\          /\
                         ( \\        // )
                          \ \\      // /
                           \_\\||||//_/
                            \/ _  _ \
                           \/|(O)(O)|
                          \/ |      |
      ___________________\/  \      /
     //                //     |____|
    //                ||     /      \
   //|                \|     \ 0  0 /
  // \       )         V    / \____/
 //   \     /        (     /
""     \   /_________|  |_/
       /  /\   /     |  ||
      /  / /  /      \  ||
      | |  | |        | ||
      | |  | |        | ||
      |_|  |_|        |_||
       \_\  \_\        \_\\

_                 _                 _          _ _
| |__   __ _ ___  | | __ _ _ __   __| | ___  __| | |
| '_ \ / _` / __| | |/ _` | '_ \ / _` |/ _ \/ _` | |
| | | | (_| \__ \ | | (_| | | | | (_| |  __/ (_| |_|
|_| |_|\__,_|___/ |_|\__,_|_| |_|\__,_|\___|\__,_(_)

Official Release Announcement:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-334276.html
Taevin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently got a new system and I decided to take the old one and wipe Windows from it, replacing it with Gentoo. I had heard good things about the Stage 1 on 3 installation method so I figured I'd give it a shot this time instead of starting from Stage 1. Everything went great with the install until trying to change compilers from 3.3.5 to 3.4.3.

Code:
emerge gcc-config glibc binutils gcc
completed with no errors.

Code:
gcc-config 5
 * Switching to i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3-20050110 compiler...              [ ok ]

* If you intend to use the gcc from the new profile in an already
 * running shell, please remember to do:

*   # source /etc/profile

So it seems to work but even after I did a:
Code:
env-update && source /etc/profile

it still lists i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.5 as my default compiler:
Code:
gcc-config -l
[1] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.5 *
[2] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.5-hardened
[3] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.5-hardenednopie
[4] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.5-hardenednossp
[5] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3-20050110
[6] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3-20050110-hardened
[7] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3-20050110-hardenednopie
[8] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3-20050110-hardenednossp

gcc-config -c
i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.5

So... am I doing something wrong here?

Stage 3 tarball used: stage3-pentium4-2005.0.tar.bz2
emerge --info:
Code:
emerge --info
Portage 2.0.51.19 (default-linux/x86/2005.0, gcc-3.3.5, glibc-2.3.5-r0, 2.6.11-gentoo-r3 i686)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.11-gentoo-r3 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
Gentoo Base System version 1.4.16
Python:              dev-lang/python-2.3.4-r1 [2.3.4 (#1, Mar 11 2005, 17:34:27)]
dev-lang/python:     2.3.4-r1
sys-apps/sandbox:    [Not Present]
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.59-r6, 2.13
sys-devel/automake:  1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.5, 1.4_p6, 1.6.3, 1.9.4
sys-devel/binutils:  2.15.92.0.2-r7
sys-devel/libtool:   1.5.10-r4
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.8.1-r2
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CFLAGS="-O3 -march=pentium4 -fforce-addr -momit-leaf-frame-pointer -fomit-frame-pointer -ftracer -pipe"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu -fvisibility-inlines-hidden"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/kde/2/share/config /usr/kde/3/share/config /usr/share/config /var/qmail/control"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/gconf /etc/terminfo /etc/env.d"
CXXFLAGS="-O3 -march=pentium4 -fforce-addr -momit-leaf-frame-pointer -fomit-frame-pointer -ftracer -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="autoaddcvs autoconfig ccache distlocks sandbox sfperms strict userpriv usersandbox"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://mirrors.tds.net/gentoo http://mirrors.tds.net/gentoo http://gentoo.osuosl.org http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="x86 X alsa apm arts avi berkdb bitmap-fonts crypt cups emboss encode foomaticdb fortran gdbm gif gnome gpm gtk gtk2 imlib ipv6 jpeg kde libg++ libwww mad mikmod motif mp3 mpeg ncurses nls nptl oggvorbis opengl oss pam pdflib perl png python qt quicktime readline sdl spell ssl svga tcpd truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts xml2 xmms xv zlib userland_GNU kernel_linux elibc_glibc"
Unset:  ASFLAGS, CBUILD, CTARGET, LANG, LC_ALL, LDFLAGS, LINGUAS
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've run into this problem during the development of the Jackass! Project (which I highly recommend you use instead of doing a Stage 1/3 Install). Try running emerge -P gcc to unmerge the older gcc 3.3.5, and see if that fixes the problem.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a documented problem with some verisons of gcc-config that are broken. if you prune the older version of gcc off of your system using "emerge -P gcc", that may fix the problem.

edit: dammit sith! :P
Taevin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply. However, the emerge -P gcc did not fix the problem :( I just get this instead:
Code:
/usr/bin/gcc-config: line 1: /etc/env.d/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.5: No such file or directory
 * /usr/bin/gcc-config: Profile does not exist or invalid setting for /etc/env.d/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.5
:P

Anyways, I'll probably just try your Jackass! Project or go back to a Stage 1 install that I have experience with.

Thanks again!
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll you could also try re-emerging gcc-config after pruning gcc, but Jackass! is another good option. (I'm not biased in any way :wink: )
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taevin wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply. However, the emerge -P gcc did not fix the problem :( I just get this instead:
Code:
/usr/bin/gcc-config: line 1: /etc/env.d/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.5: No such file or directory
 * /usr/bin/gcc-config: Profile does not exist or invalid setting for /etc/env.d/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.5
:P

Anyways, I'll probably just try your Jackass! Project or go back to a Stage 1 install that I have experience with.

Thanks again!

i'd recommend re-emerging gcc-config and trying again. if it doesn't work after doing that, then i would file a bug report with bugzilla, as it looks like it could be a broken ebuild.

just for grins, if it were my box i'd try removing strict userprivs and usersandbox from the features statement in make.conf. those features often break things in strange and mysterious ways -- hence, they were left out of the Stage 1/3 Guide on purpose. :wink: To be honest, I hadn't noticed them in your emerge --info until now, or I would have recommended removing them. Little, innocent deviations from the Guide like adding those have been known to cause their fair share of problems. :x

that's why i've always recommended to follow the Guide as it is written without deviating from it. most users just don't have the experience to know that seemingly innocent deviations from the Guide can b0rk their system.
macawgumbo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should think that adding
Code:
emerge --oneshot libtool
to the tutorial at the end is in order. I have needed to do this twice on both installs and with jpeg libs. By the way, great tutorial. I am using Reiser4 and have just killed my windows xp machine completely for gentoo. I love the Gentoo RR4 LiveDVD because I can be up and online while building my system. Thanks.
moocha
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macawgumbo wrote:
I should think that adding
Code:
emerge --oneshot libtool
to the tutorial at the end is in order. I have needed to do this twice on both installs and with jpeg libs.
You needed to do that even after running two emerge -e system in a row??

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- attributed to Benjamin Franklin
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In response to the people who keep sending me Private Messages requesting personalized support, I'd like to reiterate my Official Support Policy for the Stage 1/3 Guide:

Bob P wrote:
Please Note:

I will no longer repond to any Personal Messages requesting support for the Stage 1 on 3 Installation Guide. All Personal Messages sent to me requesting personalized support will be deleted without a reply.

Please post ALL support requests in the Support Thread, where everyone can benefit from the answer!

Thanks, and have fun!
:wink:

flipnode
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Private Messages and Same problems with 1/3 Tutorial Reply with quote

Okay, sorry bob about that Private Message I sent today. I just got to the end of this help forum and noticed your last post. There seems to be some small minor wording issues with the 1/3 Tutorial.

I will list the Two I have found so far.

Code:
(6.6.2 Package Keywords - Enabling GCC 3.4.3 in the Stable Branch)
- mentions nothing about having to make this file yourself, if you do a # cat /etc/portage/package.keywords ; the file isn't there

Code:

(6.7.1 Activate the userlocales USE flag for glibc)
- mentions nothing about having to make this file yourself, same problem as above

Code:

(6.7.2 Specify the user locales to build. )
- in this section you actually say "Create the /etc/locales.build file with your favorite editor" and I actually know
to create the file.

Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know, if you hadn't told everyone that you were the guy that sent me the PM, nobody would have ever known! :o

with regard to the Stage 1/3 Guide not specifically mentioning that the user has to create the configuration files themselves -- you're right -- the user has to manually create those files using a text editor. when i wrote the docs i specifically avoided the issue of teaching a neophyte how to use a text editor, and assumed that everyone using the Guide was an advanced/expert user and would know: 1) how to use a text editor and 2) that a Gentoo user is typically expected to create/edit configuration files.

as the Stage 1/3 Guide is an advanced/expert method, i never considered that such extensive documention would be necessary. i just thought it would be simpler to just use the "cat" command to display the output of what the file would look like when you're finished. in doing that i assumed that most people familiar with basic gentoo file editing skills would have realized that they would have needed to create the files. so far i've had several thousand of people download the Stage 1/3 guide, and you're the first person who's notified me of the problem.

at any rate, i'm glad to hear that you've figured out the problem. good luck with your install.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 19 of 24

Jump to: