Xbox hard drive in PC
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bitwaba
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 3:03 am    Post subject: Xbox hard drive in PC Reply with quote

I'm trying to do a softmod on my Xbox without purchasing any additional hardware. The Xbox is like 3 years old, so i dont mind taking it apart.

Everywhere i've looked in the net gives guides for softmod without taking the xbox apart which is
cool except for the fact that i'm a broke college kid who doesnt have any money to buy a thumbdrive or xbox mem card.

Which brings me to my problem:
I followed the xbox-linux wiki on how to do the hotswap:
http://www.xbox-linux.org/Hard_Disk_Hotswap_HOWTO

i was able to get the xbox-sources gentoo kernel running on my pc with the FATX module installed

the drive shows up in booting, but when i try to mount it with:
Code:
mount -t fatx /dev/hdb /mnt/xbox

all i get back is: bad superblock.

I have tried hotswapping the hard drive on many different timmings from when the xbox is powered on, and i keep getting this error. I am pretty sure the drive is getting unlocked, just not sure on how to mount it.

Thanks
chunderbunny
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure the drive is showing up as /dev/hdb and not /dev/hdc? Devices on the secondary IDE channel are usually labelled hdc and hdd. Also, you might need to mount an actual partition on the disk, try mounting hdc1.

Secondly, what happens if you don't specify a filesystem type when trying to mount the disk?

If that fails, try running cfdisk (or fdisk if you know what you are doing) to see if Linux can at least read the partition information on the drive.
Voorhees51
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could also try
Code:
 dmesg | grep hd
and see what that shows for hard drives to determine where it is located at
Bitwaba
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, i am sure it is /dev/hdb . i have it connected to the same ide cable as my gentoo drive which is /dev/hda. My cdrom is the master on the second ide channel and it is /dev/hdc.
I also tried mounting everything from /dev/hdb1 through /dev/hdb15. But since the only entry labeled hdb* in /dev was "hdb" itself, i figured that it was the only reasonable thing to mount.
If i do not specify a filesystem type, i get the same error as with "-t fatx"

as the hotswap HOWTO says, the drive will show up as a hard drive with an unreadable partition table. I will try out fdisk when i get home, but i'm thinking it wont work.

Thanks
chunderbunny
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the output from dmesg would be helpful here, if it spits out errors from not being able to read the partition table then we know that the disk has not been unlocked by the time you plug it into the PC.

Edit: I just had a thought, the drive might be configured to only work as a master device. Try unplugging your CD drive and connecting the Xbox drive to the secondary IDE channel instead.
Bitwaba
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the kernel says manytimes during boot that the partition table can not be read.

I always thought that i was getting the drive unlocked, but I guess this would be the only reasonable explination in this situation. I just didnt think it possible because the guide says
Quote:
The hard disk will be detected as /dev/hdc with an unknown partitioning scheme.

Good thought with the ide master, I'll be sure to try it out when I get home
Nate_S
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stock xbox hard drive has no partition table (it is "assumed" by the xbox kernel.) I believe that the partitions show up as /dev/hdx51, through /dev/hdx55 and so on (at least they do on mine.) You might look for Xboxhdm, a livecd containing an xbox enabled kernel, as well as all the hard drive locking and unlocking tools you'll need.

-Nate
Bitwaba
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanky much,

sounds like a useful disk
safeness
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to install xbox-sources and just build the fatx module for use with another kernel? I'm intrigued by the increased transfer speed, but don't want to use xbox-sources on my non-xbox desktop. :)
Voorhees51
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that it would work, because the module would be compiled with the aspects related to the x-box sources, not nessicarily build the same as another set of kernel source.

It would be like compiling a 64bit kernel module for the AMD64 and wanting it to work on an x86. Or like compiling the module with the xbox-sources and wanting it to run on a SPARC chip or somthing. The architectures are different and it probably will not work.

thats just my look on it.
safeness
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The xbox is just a p3 and my desktop is a p4, so it's not that different. I do see your point about the different sources having different aspects though. Anyways, I was thinking that it would be super sweet if there was an ebuild for just the fatx kernel module much like the ones for emu10k1 or ati-drivers, etc. How would one start a project like this?
johntramp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitwaba,
Code:
# fdisk -l
will show you the partitions on the harddrives in your computer. From what I have seen it will not show anything from that tho, I think the problem is more than just the fatx filesystem. I have tried using dyne:bolic (a live distro which works both on a pc and a modded xbox) with the xbox harddrive in my pc and that didn't detect it even tho it was visable from the same distro and harddrive in my xbox.

If you install a cheap chip like an aladdin xt you will save yourself a lot of hasstle and they are very cheap. Personally I think you are pushing sh't uphill with what you are trying to accomplish, but then again, you may get it going with persistence.

Good luck :)
Nate_S
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should be able to patch your kernel with the fatx driver from xbox-linux.org and compile that.
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A picked up some cheap Apple mod chips for $12.

Save yourself the trouble and scrounge up the money. Works much easier than the trouble of doing a soft mod.
I found the soft mod method too troublesome, (it does work though), and too easy for users to mess up after. Then it's a hassle fixing.

Or borrow a flash drive from someone, it's only needed for a minute, and flash the onboard TSOP. It's a simple solder job even for new solders and works perfect with no cost. :-)

That's how I do all older XBOXs now.
safeness
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, doing a softmod is MUCH easier than doing a mod chip install. All you have to do is create 2 jumpers on the xbox mobo and then load a hacked game save which lets you install a dashboard and flash your bios. If you're going to go with a cheapmod anyways, just save the money and use an exploit to flash your bios. That's been my experience at least, so YMMV.
rounz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

safeness wrote:
In my experience, doing a softmod is MUCH easier than doing a mod chip install. All you have to do is create 2 jumpers on the xbox mobo and then load a hacked game save which lets you install a dashboard and flash your bios.

installing a mod isnt hard and saves you flashing the xbox` core bios with hacked firmware,if it involves soldering, might as well chip it imo :)
sebv
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can install a temporarly patched kernel for xbox on your PC there is no problem if it run on x86 arch, i do this and it work fine. I remove this kernel after flash the Xbox.

You can't access to hd partition simply,so i made a backup of this partition on my PC (with dd) and i mount them with loop option to modifie them (you need a pathed kernel for xbox) and i put them on xbox-hdd and it work fine, you have the commands to backup partitions here : http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/Hard_Disk_Backup_HOWTO
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: