Java users, please check out my ebuild for JRockit
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mghumphrey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 11:20 pm    Post subject: Java users, please check out my ebuild for JRockit Reply with quote

I posted an ebuild for the JRockit JVM from BEA/WebLogic. This JVM was supposedly developed by BEA because of stability and performance issues from the Sun and Blackdown-developed JVMs. It is designed for enhanced stability, performance, and managability.

I've posted an ebuild for it to Bugzilla. If you are at all interested in this JVM, you can help get it included in the Gentoo repository by trying out the ebuild and posting your comments to Bugzilla.

Here is a link to the Bugzilla "bug" (#16206) that contains the ebuild:

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=16206

Also, I'm interested in any feedback you have on the JVM itself. We're currently trying to move our Java apps off Solaris and onto Linux, and so far have been somewhat put off by the poor stability of the JVMs.
Skydive
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't usually use custom-made ebuilds so I may have done something wrong. Here's what I did:

Code:

emerge /root/ebuilds/jrockit/jrockit-8.0.ebuild

The result:

Code:

Calculating dependencies \emerge: create(): aux_get() error on ebuilds/jrockit-8.0; aborting...

Oh, and am I going to have to register somewhere in order to be able to download the JDK?
mghumphrey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I did to use:

Put the entire directory (ebuild plus other assorted files) in /usr/local/portage/dev-java/jrockit.

Edit make.conf and uncomment/edit this line:

PORTDIR_OVERLAY=/usr/local/portage

This tells portage that you keep your own ebuilds underneath /usr/local/portage.

Then do this:

# emerge jrockit
Skydive
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, that seemed to work. The ebuild worked fine and I left a comment at Bugzilla (as lwillems). I too am having stability problems with the some of the JDK's (Sun's JDK and Blackdown's JDK).
I mainly have problems when running GUI applications, though. I've never had any problem with a J2EE application.
I'll be testing JRockit over the next few days (never used it before) and I hope it works well.
mghumphrey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please post any feedback (positive or negative) you might have here.
Vancouverite
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Your ebuild works great for me. I don't have many programs to test this JVM on (at home) so please post some results of your testing. Currently I only have JCDSee from here which is a nice image viewer. It seems to work faster using Sun-J2SDK but tough to tell.
Skydive
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me JRockit was slower than any JDK I have ever tried. In fact it was so slow that I'm forced to give up on it, my productivity dropped significantly. It may be that it's more stable than the other JDKs but it's just too slow.
Note that I've only used it to do GUI-heavy stuff (check my sig for the project that I'm developing for). When I launched JSwat (a respected debugger) it took ages to launch the application that I was trying to debug, at first I even thought JSwat had crashed.
(my system is an Athlon T-bird with 512 MB DDR RAM so that's certainly not the cause of the slowness)
mghumphrey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I should have mentioned that it is designed for server usage, not to run GUIs.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: