Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Promise Ultra 133 TX2
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Xaanin
n00b
n00b


Joined: 09 Jun 2002
Posts: 26
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 9:17 pm    Post subject: Promise Ultra 133 TX2 Reply with quote

Has anyone been able to get this controller card to work under gentoo?

I have compiled support for promise controller chipsets (the one which this card uses is included) but that didn't help anything. Also tried to load it by passing a line to the kernel at boot, though still nothing. So if anyone has gotten this card working please let me know how.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mellofone
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 13 Apr 2002
Posts: 286

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: Promise Ultra 133 TX2 Reply with quote

Xaanin wrote:
Has anyone been able to get this controller card to work under gentoo?

I have compiled support for promise controller chipsets (the one which this card uses is included) but that didn't help anything. Also tried to load it by passing a line to the kernel at boot, though still nothing. So if anyone has gotten this card working please let me know how.


What kernel sources [and version] are you using?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Xaanin
n00b
n00b


Joined: 09 Jun 2002
Posts: 26
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.4.19-gentoo-r7
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mellofone
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 13 Apr 2002
Posts: 286

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xaanin wrote:
2.4.19-gentoo-r7


I have the exact same problem with my Ultra TX2 100.

I couldn't get it working with any of the gentoo sources, but it works perfectly with the vainlla sources. There is a bug filed:

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2531

What kind of errors do you get when booting?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Xaanin
n00b
n00b


Joined: 09 Jun 2002
Posts: 26
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen any error at all when booting, just that it doesn't load. I can do a cat on /proc/pci and it will show up there, as:

Code:
 unknown mass storage controller: Promise technology inc. 20265 (rev 2)


20265 is the chipset number for the card.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mellofone
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 13 Apr 2002
Posts: 286

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xaanin wrote:
I haven't seen any error at all when booting, just that it doesn't load. I can do a cat on /proc/pci and it will show up there, as:

Code:
 unknown mass storage controller: Promise technology inc. 20265 (rev 2)


20265 is the chipset number for the card.


Are you booting from the card?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Xaanin
n00b
n00b


Joined: 09 Jun 2002
Posts: 26
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I am not. That's probably why I haven't seen any errors either =)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mellofone
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 13 Apr 2002
Posts: 286

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xaanin wrote:
No I am not. That's probably why I haven't seen any errors either =)


Heh. Bingo! :)

Try the vanilla sources, that's what solved it for me. I've tried every version of the gentoo sources (r1 -r7) and not one of them worked with my promise card. From what I have read, the 133 and 100 are next to identical...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Xaanin
n00b
n00b


Joined: 09 Jun 2002
Posts: 26
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol now it works with 2.4.19-gentoo-r7 kernel..

make mrproper
make menuconfig (select everything again)
make dep && make clean bzImage modules modules_install

Works perfectly now, kinda strange but I'm happy =)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mellofone
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 13 Apr 2002
Posts: 286

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xaanin wrote:
Lol now it works with 2.4.19-gentoo-r7 kernel..

make mrproper
make menuconfig (select everything again)
make dep && make clean bzImage modules modules_install

Works perfectly now, kinda strange but I'm happy =)


Hmmmm. I never did try mrproper....Maybe I should try that....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum