Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGG \
GGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

another portage "enhancement": https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-2344587.html

mod edit: Split scream in the middle to make it not screw up page width :P --Earthwings
Sade
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
]AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

another portage "enhancement": https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-2344587.html

the post messes with the forum width on my screen, could u remove a few a's, r's g's h's or !'s???
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:

mod edit: Split scream in the middle to make it not screw up page width :P --Earthwings
So that's what the problem was, I'll have to keep my eye out for it then. Anyway, just some updates on the project, sorry for being "offline" for so long, I've been sick, and now I've got some tests to deal with. Anyway, we hope to have the Intel portion of the project finished and released very soon, hopefully by the end of this week, or sometime next week. Right now Bob and I are building the rc3 stages, and I'm putting the finishing touches on the livecd. This is the way it is going to work: Bob is building the PPro and PMMX tarball as we speak, he's going to put this tarball out for you guys to test. Once we've verified that this portage snapshot doesn't contain any ebuild quirks (a.k.a. PITA bugs), then we will probably end up releasing rc3 to the public on a bootable ISO. Sound good to everybody? :)
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, the recent changes to portage caused its behavior to dramatically change when emerging ebuilds. the old default for portage was "-strict", while the new feature implements "+strict" by default. this wouldn't cause any problems if all of the ebuilds worked according to specification. unfortunately, there are a large number of them that don't. :? evidently, not all of the ebuild maintainers managed to fix their ebuilds by the time that the change was implemented in portage.

i posted bug reports for three b0rked ebuilds, but i gave up being the Don Quixote of the portage tree -- as you know, you cannot "emerge --resume --skipfirst" after a break in "emerge -e system", so it was just too cumbersome to keep finding the errors, fixing the ebuilds, and restarting the emerge. in the long run, its much easier just to revert to portages "normal" behavior by setting "-strict" as a FEATURES statement during the emerge.

looking at the ebuilds, one of them (IIRC it was either gettext or gnuconfig) had files in the ebuild that were not listed on the manifest and were 2-3 years older than the rest of the ebuild. :!: this is just crappy maintenance on the part of the guy responsible for the ebuild. :evil:

The PentiumPro/i686 tarball and the Pentium-MMX tarball shouldn't take very long to get out. They'll definitely be out in a few days for testing. They would have been released today if the upstream devs for GLIBC hadn't released version 2.3.5 right after I finished building the PPro and MMX tarballs. Instead of releasing them, I had to start building them over again. :x

I'd still like to get the status bar and icons fixed during the boot cycle on the install CD if we can swing that. Assuming that we get the tarballs fixed and the ISOs fixed, I'm thinking that releasing Jackass! as a testing-branch CD may be right around the corner...
obsidianblackhawk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
I'd still like to get the status bar and icons fixed during the boot cycle on the install CD if we can swing that.
whats wrong with them?
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Jackass! boot CD is designed to mimic the bootup behavior of the Gentoo 2005.0 install CD. namely, as the system boots up with the silent splash screens, icons are supposed to illuminate and a blue status bar is supposed to be drawn across the bottom of the screen. we've been using the Gentoo Catalyst utility to create our install CD in the same way that the Gentoo install CD was created, so that our CD would have the same illuminating icons and the blue on purple status bar. unfortunately, there seem to be some problems with the most recent uptade to Catalyst so that the funtion of the bootsplash sometimes malfunctions.

all things considered, this is a Catalyst problem and not a Jackass! problem. the problems in Catalyst are causing cosmetic issues at boot and not a functionality issue with the install CD. if the problem can be fixed in Catalyst before the RC-03 tarballs are ready, we'd like to include the fix on the Jackass! CDs. but we're not going to hold up the release of Jackass! just because Catalyst is buggy and some of the boot-time eye candy is having problems. we'll relase Jackass! when Jackass! works, and not hold it up because Catalyst is broken.
outspoken
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:

ive sent an email to the webadmins/forum people (whatever email is at the bottom of this forum) about page width issues. its really a simple fix that needs to be added into the php of the site which determines the maximum page width and will not be auto-adjusted. i've had this done on my phpbb forum for years now.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attention Testers: The RC-03 tarballs are ready for the first round of testing.

Revisions from RC-02 to RC-03 include:

1. an Update to GCC
2. an Update to GLIBC
3. an integrated Portage Snapshot

These tarballs are expected to contain the final changes to Jackass! before we put it onto an Installation CD.

The 686 CHOST tarballs (aka Pentium-Pro, Pentium 2, Pentium 3 and Pentium 4) will feature the following toolkit components:

gcc-3.4.3.20050110-r2
glibc-2.3.5

The 586 CHOST tarballs (aka Pentium and Pentium-MMX) will feature the following toolkit components:

gcc-3.4.3.20050110-r2
glibc-2.3.4.20050125-r1

The difference in the toolkit between the 586-class tarballs and the 686-class tarballs is due to the fact that glibc-2.3.5 is not yet stable on 586.

For the first round of testing, we need to test the following tarballs:

1) the 686 CHOST tarball that it optimized for Pentium-Pro. this tarball is the basis for the P2, P3, and P4 tarballs.
2) the 586 CHOST tarballs that are optimized for Pentium or Pentium-MMX.

All testers are requested to send me a PM with a description of their available computers so that I can make tarball testing assignements.

Thanks!

Edit: GCC 3.4.3, not GCC 3.1.3. D'Oh! :oops:

Last edited by Bob P on Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:51 am; edited 1 time in total
obsidianblackhawk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey bob, did you ever get that last PM i sent you?
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, i have the one with your IP address, but late last night i realized that i have not completely configured my FTP server, and I haven't had a chance to work on that yet. :oops:

PM me with the arches of your test boxes, ok?
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
The 686 CHOST tarballs (aka Pentium-Pro, Pentium 2, Pentium 3 and Pentium 4) will feature the following toolkit components:

gcc-3.1.3.20050110-r2

Waitaminute. Do you mean gcc-3.4.3.20050110-r2?

Anyway, I PMed you as requested. I have one ready-to-go P3 laptop, and the old one that's also a P3 (that I had been using), but it might only intermittently work. Still, I might be able to take care of any tarball that's = or < P3 for the sake of trying.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i meant GCC 3.4.3. that was a typo. :oops:
obsidianblackhawk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay Bob my installs are now offically under way. Maybe i'll post a little later tonight.
siegefried
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about Jackass with 4.0? :)
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a chance. 4.0 is both unreliable and slower than 3.4.3. There's no point in it.
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

siegefried wrote:
how about Jackass with 4.0? :)
:lol:
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heya. Back in the install, and this time the files have downloaded properly, so thanks to Sith and Bob for that!

However, I notice that when I md5sum the stage, the .md5 looks for a file that matches the tarball except that it is missing the "-rc3-" bit of the filename. md5sum thus can't find the file, since the new rc3 tarballs have -rc3- after the processor designation, and the md5 is looking for just a "pentium-20050425" not "pentium-rc3-20050425". A minor point, but one I thought worth mentioning.

Also, as I still wasn't able to get my danged printer to spit out the .pdf, is there any way of getting a text-only version of the guide on the server? As this new tarball has, to the best of my knowledge, a couple of things in it that the official Gentoo tarballs don't (like a Portage snapshot), I am proceeding very reluctantly with the regular Stage 1/3 Guide. I assume that there were extra instructions in the .pdf that's hosted on Sith's server, so I sure don't want to miss those!

I'm ready to untar the freshly downloaded stage, but I'm thinking that there is probably some way I'm to go about extracting it to the right place AND move the Snapshot within the file to its own proper location. So I don't just want to proceed with the normal step 5.3 just yet; I figure the Jackass guide has a slightly different instruction. Or maybe that's just my extreme caution talking.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightmorph wrote:
However, I notice that when I md5sum the stage, the .md5 looks for a file that matches the tarball except that it is missing the "-rc3-" bit of the filename. md5sum thus can't find the file, since the new rc3 tarballs have -rc3- after the processor designation, and the md5 is looking for just a "pentium-20050425" not "pentium-rc3-20050425". A minor point, but one I thought worth mentioning.

when i made the tarballs, i didn't put the "rc03" designation in the filenames. i think that sith changed the filenames without changing the md5sums or making new md5sums to match the new filenames. this really isn't a big deal. as long as the md5sum of the tarball matches the md5sum that's in the file, everything is okay.

Quote:
Also, as I still wasn't able to get my danged printer to spit out the .pdf, is there any way of getting a text-only version of the guide on the server? As this new tarball has, to the best of my knowledge, a couple of things in it that the official Gentoo tarballs don't (like a Portage snapshot), I am proceeding very reluctantly with the regular Stage 1/3 Guide. I assume that there were extra instructions in the .pdf that's hosted on Sith's server, so I sure don't want to miss those!

you really need to install from the instruciton manual that goes with the tarballs. you have to use the PDF, as no other version of the documents is going to be made available.

Quote:
I'm ready to untar the freshly downloaded stage, but I'm thinking that there is probably some way I'm to go about extracting it to the right place AND move the Snapshot within the file to its own proper location. So I don't just want to proceed with the normal step 5.3 just yet; I figure the Jackass guide has a slightly different instruction. Or maybe that's just my extreme caution talking.

nope. just untar the stageball using the -xjpvf parameter and the file locations will take care of themselves. but don't assume that you can just follow the STage 1/3 guide. you really need to follow the Jackass! instructions.

hth.
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
nope. just untar the stageball using the -xjpvf parameter and the file locations will take care of themselves. but don't assume that you can just follow the STage 1/3 guide. you really need to follow the Jackass! instructions.

Yeah, I figured that was the case. I didn't want to proceed much beyond step 5.3. I guess I'll have to take a break, boot back into XP long enough to give it another shot. I know that interrupting an installation might not be the best thing, but even the Gentoo handbook says one of the benefits of this install is that I can resume it from where I left off; the files are still there. Near as I can tell, all I have to do is mount /mnt/gentoo and /mnt/gentoo/boot with their respective partitions, and I should be back in business. Or I can fire up my old laptop long enough to get the .pdf displayed; maybe Knoppix could do something with it. XP, FreeBSD, and FreesBIE sure couldn't find my printer the way they usually do!

Thanks, and I'll finish up later tonight with the test install (I think).
obsidianblackhawk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay i'm not sure what but i fu*ked something up last night. I have to start the pentium-mmx install all over again when i get home. :(
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm glad to hear that everything went well with the pentium-pro install. 8)

lemme know as soon as you find out what the problem was with your box using the pentium-mmx tarball. i want to be sure that there's not a problem in the tarball, so send me a PM as soon as you know what's up.
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obsidianblackhawk wrote:
Okay i'm not sure what but i fu*ked something up last night. I have to start the pentium-mmx install all over again when i get home. :(

Me, too, but in my case something happened with the regular pentium install. I finally managed to get Grub working and booting, but neither the boot option with framebuffer or without worked.

After selecting the kernel to boot, I saw the first few lines of bootup text scroll by, and then, when the screen should flicker, resize itself into 1024x768 resolution and kick in the framebuffer, it goes blank, and then a very, very slow, subtle color transformation washes over the entire screen. About every other pixel slowly shifts from a faint purple to a faint green. Rather pretty, but no text overlays it or anything. It's like watching an ambient visualization in WinAmp or XMMS. I think this means I need to select a different video driver, or something. Or is that the case? I mean, the Grub splash works just fine. But no command prompt comes up even after the hard drive spins down after booting.

I'll work on it later this morning; right now I'm not on my home computer, so I can't post my kernel config or anything. I've done many manual compiles by know, so I'm confident that it might only be the video driver I selected; this laptop has a built-in Intel graphics chip on an Intel chipset, so I know right where to go. And since I get an initial start on my / partition as well as /boot, I assume that my fstab is okay.

Other than this blocking error here, I had no trouble with the rest of the installation, though I did notice some messages flash by during parts of the splashutils emerge that seemed to say at least part of the package(s) were being compiled with the Fortran compiler--I think libpng used this. I was under the impression only gcc was used? Apparently not.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, i need to clarify something --

Jeremy has identified a problem with KERNEL INSTALLATION with the gentoo-sources 2.6.11-r6 kernel. Fwict, it is NOT a problem in Jackass!, as I had encountered the exact same problem yesterday on my development box that has never had Jackass! installed on it while performing a kernel upgrade using the same kernel version. i had considered it a fluke, but if other people are having the same problem, then its bugworthy.

Jeremy's oberserved the problem where the kernel correctly compiles, but fails to actually be installed in /boot. This seems to be a problem with the script improperly parsing the command:

Code:
make && make modules modules_install install

as i have already encountered the problem on a non-Jackass! system, I have initiated a bug report on Bugzilla:

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=90871

In my case, I observed that the kernel was properly compiled in the /usr/src/linux directory, but was never installed in /boot. repeating the kernel build/install command a second time resulted in proper kernel installation, so the bug appears to be intermittent. if anyone else is experiencing this problem with 2.6.11-r6 kernels, my recommendation would be to: 1) post your observations in the bug report, and 2) try forcing the installation of a previous version of the kernel and/or repeat the kernel install command.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightmorph wrote:
After selecting the kernel to boot, I saw the first few lines of bootup text scroll by, and then, when the screen should flicker, resize itself into 1024x768 resolution and kick in the framebuffer, it goes blank, and then a very, very slow, subtle color transformation washes over the entire screen. About every other pixel slowly shifts from a faint purple to a faint green. Rather pretty, but no text overlays it or anything. It's like watching an ambient visualization in WinAmp or XMMS. I think this means I need to select a different video driver, or something. Or is that the case? I mean, the Grub splash works just fine. But no command prompt comes up even after the hard drive spins down after booting.

this sounds like a kernel configuration problem to me. if you want to avoid kernel configuration problems, keep the kernels on your /boot directory when you reinstall. there's no good reason to blank your /boot volume just because you're testing a new tarball. :wink:

insofar as a kernel config problem isn't really related to Jackass!, we should pursue your troubles in personal messages or in independent thread if you find that you need help.

Quote:
Other than this blocking error here, I had no trouble with the rest of the installation, though I did notice some messages flash by during parts of the splashutils emerge that seemed to say at least part of the package(s) were being compiled with the Fortran compiler--I think libpng used this. I was under the impression only gcc was used? Apparently not.

well, that's an interesting observation, but fortan is used more often than you might think. its not anything that we need to focus upon in testing the reliability of the tarballs.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - you guys scared me into performing a test install of the pentium-mmx tarball onto my P3 box. i've just completed the install without any errors, and the toolkit appears to be compiling xorg just fine. so it seems that there aren't any problems in the tarball or its toolkit, just some user configuration problems/errors with kernels.

let me know if i'm wrong on this, but i don't think we've found any errors in jackass.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 28 of 30

Jump to: