patchy sound with ens1371
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jemmyw
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 5:54 pm    Post subject: patchy sound with ens1371 Reply with quote

It just seems that at some parts of songs the sound gets crackly, especially when there's a female singer. I thought at first it was just because I was playing mp3s from the command line, but then the problem persisted in X...
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: patchy sound with ens1371 Reply with quote

jemmyw wrote:
It just seems that at some parts of songs the sound gets crackly, especially when there's a female singer. I thought at first it was just because I was playing mp3s from the command line, but then the problem persisted in X...

Hmmm...what sort of sound card do you have and what driver are you using in your kernel config?

The thing with sound under linux is; it generally either works or it doesn't. If it's working for you, then I suspect the "crackly" sounds that you refer to are either a poorly-written driver or bum speakers.

--kurt
jemmyw
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a creative pci128. It works fine under windows and mandrake. the driver its using is es1731
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jemmyw wrote:
Its a creative pci128. It works fine under windows and mandrake. the driver its using is es1731

I'm assuming you mean es1371?

Have you verified that your card has the es1371 chipset? Some 128's came with the ensonique 1371 chipset while others came with the 1373.

--kurt
Princess Firefly
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 7:19 pm    Post subject: Es1370 Reply with quote

The older PCI 128's are Ensoniq 1370 (I'm using one).

After some struggling, I got mine to work with ALSA. (compile sound support as a module into the kernel **not built in! ALSA doesn't work if you build it in**, disable all the modules for specific sound cardsin the kernel, emerge alsa-utils, then try "modprobe snd-card-ens1370" or "modprobe snd-card-ens1371". ALSA makes it's own modules and this will load them. If the modules load fine, follow the instructions in the desktop config guide to have them autoload each time you boot)

If you need more detailed instructions ask, I'm just not sure if this is what you need to do anyway.
The Princess
jemmyw
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I've done all that except for trying the older driver. Maybe thats the problem, i shall see
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you try adjusting volume settings? sb128 is a very well supported card in Linux.
squanto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 12:26 am    Post subject: sound blaster 16 Reply with quote

My soundblaster 16pci uses the 1371 driver as well, and I notice that listening to mp3s and CDs that if I have the master volume up over about 80% and the PCM or CD up over 80% the sound get crakly. I notice this as well on my Macintosh G4, no matter what OS i run, so I think it is just that the sound card doens't do so hot turned all the way up.
I have support for my sound as a module and alsa works fine with it, also enable oss drivers, may help out a little, but can't hurt.

Andrew
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: