PCMCIA wireless network
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaba
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 2:11 pm    Post subject: PCMCIA wireless network Reply with quote

I want to set up a wireless network based on 2 PCMCIA wireless networking cards.
Add one more to the gateway, and one in my laptop. The gateway allready has one PCMCIA wireless NIC, wich is connected to a antenna (my internet connection). In addition to the PCMCIA card i have to use a (ISA)adaptor since this is not a laptop with PCMCIA slots.

All the equipment are the same, ORiNOCO SILVER PCMCIA wireless nic and the 2 adaptors in the gateway.

What i'm wondering is how i should set this wireless network up?

If my description of the situasion was fuzzy, ask me for more info...
Thanks for all replies :)
chadh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: PCMCIA wireless network Reply with quote

It really should not be that hard to set this up. I have heard that the ISA PCMCIA adapters are well supported, and the Orinoco Silver cards are definitely supported. If you don't know about IP masquerading, then I suggest looking for some howtos on how to do that (via iptables). That will tell you the general setup for using 2 interfaces on the gateway box (i.e., forward packets coming on on eth1 to eth0).

As far as getting the wireless cards to work, I recommend just going with the kernel drivers. Just configure in "PCMCIA/Cardbus Support" and select as modules all the orinoco and hermes stuff. After you have configured your kernel, emerge pcmcia-cs and 'rc-udpate add pcmcia default'
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: