Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Setting up a network. One Windows, one Gentoo.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FMC
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:28 am    Post subject: Setting up a network. One Windows, one Gentoo. Reply with quote

Well, currently I have my DSL modem running through my hub, which in turn has my laptop and PC connected to it. What I'm wondering, is if it is possible to perhaps share the connection in this manner (in Windows, it says it is not).

If not, what other methods should I go about getting my desktop to share the connection with my laptop?

I was perhaps thinking, I could set up a server on the desktop, then 'emerge' from the desktop's location. However, I can only get an 'lo' specified on the laptop (eth0 is working, just not configuring it's inetaddr, et cetera).

I'm pretty new to Gentoo, and NIX as a base all around. So, any help is greatly appreciated, and if I can clear up anything I've stated, or mis-stated, please don't hesitate to let me know. Thanks all!

FMC
PowerFactor
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easiest way would be to install a second nic in the desktop and connect that directly to the modem. then you could share the connection on the other nic. If you had linux on the desktop I suppose you could use ip aliasing to share the connection through a single nic. But really, grab the second nic. It's $10, it's easier, it's more secure, and you'll be hapier in the long run. The other easy option is to replace your hub with a router but that will run at least $50.
FMC
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 4:46 am    Post subject: Many thanks. Reply with quote

That's also what I had thought about.

So, ISP to desktop to hub to laptop right?

Then I simply set the desktop to share the connection (and list it as the default gateway)?

Again, thanks. I've not dealt with many network configurations before, so my knowledge is somewhat limited. I believe I can handle this however.

FMC
WarMachine
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's only 1 other computer you could just run a crossover cable directly from that 2nd NIC in the gateway to that machine. The setup wouldn't be different at all but if you already have all your hub stuff just do it that way.

Yes, enable the NAT on that desktop (PLENTY of threads on this). If you're not using DHCP you'll need to give the other machine its own IP for the network and also a DNS (if not in place now)
thehyperintelligentslug
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an old box lying about (a pentium 120 with 16mb) so I made it into a firewall using a distro such as Clarkconnect or Smoothwall. There are plenty more out there but these are the ones I know about, of course if your feeling endeavourus you can build your own with Gentoo!!

My setup goes:

Code:

cable modem -> Firewall Box -> Hub -> computer 1, 2 ,3 etc

Just another suggestion...

Neil.

---
http://www.thehyperintelligentslug.co.uk

Last edited by thehyperintelligentslug on Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
digitalnick
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

which box is your windows box?

its pretty easy to just turn on ics in windows and connect you internal nic to either the hub or to the laptop throught a crossover cable. if your desktop is the gentoo box then you shoudl check out the masq howto
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: