Gnome 2.0.2 update broke my sound?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arker
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 2:07 am    Post subject: Gnome 2.0.2 update broke my sound? Reply with quote

A couple of days ago I upgraded to the newer version of Gnome2 using the portage system and after successful compile and an X restart, the Gnome sounds are gone!

I can hear mp3s in xmms and I can play .wav files no problem, I just can't get the Gnome sounds to play. I've gone into the control center and the settings (Enable sound server startup, and Sounds for events) are checked as they were before the upgrade. Even when I select a sound in the Sound Events tab and click the play button I hear nothing... And those are just wav files as well... I can play those files by 'play /usr/share/sounds/name.wav just fine.

I'm stumped again. Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Arker.
snr.mckay
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 2:59 am    Post subject: Same prob Reply with quote

I have the same problem...still investigating.

On the lighter side of things, Gnome2 is fast and gorgeous!
Arker
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll keep looking as well.. If ya find the culprit, please post it here... I'll do the same.

Cheers,
Arker.
berhr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had similar symptoms myself, up until a day or two ago - although I don't think the Gnome 2.0.2 upgrade broke anything on my system.

Turned out that, in my case, the Enlightened Sound Daemon (esd) was not starting up correctly. The sound server was set to start up with Gnome, but when I did
Code:
ps -A | grep esd
there was no result. I tried manually starting esd, and got an error related to ALSA. Since I use the built-in OSS kernel module for my sound card, I looked into my USE flags - and sure enough, ALSA was in there. So I changed my USE flags to have -ALSA, and then I remerged esd.

Since then, esd has worked fine, and I can preview the Gnome sound events. (I'm still working on a different problem with esd and mpg123, but I won't go into that in this thread.)
pawling
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 5:07 pm    Post subject: Same symptoms, different solution Reply with quote

I had the same problem. I could use XMMS, etc without any problems, but sound events would not play. In my case it was a matter of using the wrong configuration tool. After the update, I went to the menu Applications -> Sound & Video -> Sound, which brought up the Gnome Control Center. Everything appeared to be set correctly, but no sounds would play. I discovered that I should have went to the menu Applications -> Desktop Preferences -> Sound, which brought up the new configuration tool for sound. After enabling the sound server and sounds for events here, event sounds would again play.
wouzer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, this helped me a lot! I didn't realise dat I don't need Alsa when I compiled my sounddriver into the kernel. Also that other configure tool was a good one, but isn't that strange? It should be the same thing, or am I wrong? I had the same kind of problem with my pda settings. Is Gnome control center broken or something?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: