frame buffer, new kernel and restarting
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nick58b
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 9:39 pm    Post subject: frame buffer, new kernel and restarting Reply with quote

Hello,

I have been running Gentoo on my laptop (acer travelmate 340T) for a while now and have been pleased with everything. I have been running with at frame buffer at 800x600 resolution on the 2.4.19-r10 kernel with no problems. I recently started using the new kernel (2.4.20-r1), and now I cannot boot when using my framebuffer.

After installing the new kernel, I copied the .config file from the linux-2.4.29-gentoo-r10 directory into the new kernel directory, changed the link (linux -> linux-2.4.20-gentoo-r1/) checked the config (make menuconfig) then recompiled. I copied the new kernel to the boot drive, and set it up in grub. I used the same framebuffer settings as with the 2.4.19 kernel.

Whenever I choose the new kernel from grub, it starts to load, but before I can read any of the kernel messages, the computer reboots itself. If i cut all the framebuffer stuff out of the grub.conf file, it will boot fine without a frame buffer.

-I have tried changeing the framebuffer settings, getting rid of mtrr, ywrap, etc. and changing the resolution
-I have checked the kernel, it is configured exactly as it was before, exactly as is should be according the the frame buffer how-to

The only thing I can think of is that using the old .config file messed something up. Is this possible? Should I not be using the .config between different kernel versions?

Thanks for any help with this,
nick58b
hielvc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont know if this is going to help you, but check out this bug # 12813

hiel
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: