Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
KDE 3.1 upgrade: Unknown protocol 'file:', nothing works..
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trick
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 6:31 pm    Post subject: KDE 3.1 upgrade: Unknown protocol 'file:', nothing works.. Reply with quote

When selecting KDE 3.1 (in kdm), kde starts, but absolutely nothing works. I get an error message about "unknown protocol 'file:'" (!), and there's no links anywhere, and the K menu is blank. No KDE programs work.

This happened after upgrading to the 3.1 ebuild from the GRP-install of KDE (after getting some time to let the pc compile).

Btw, KDE 3.0.4 still works perfectly.

I tried moving all the .kde* files in my home dir to a different location so that KDE could create new ones, but it didn't work - same problem.

Anyone know how to fix this ?
mrnice
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 8:02 pm    Post subject: Same problem over here.... Reply with quote

Same problem over here. I had planned to do some work in my freshly compiled desktop environment. But alas.
Guess it's going to be another night of trouble shooting.
dutchdabomb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 8:29 pm    Post subject: Same here Reply with quote

If I run "startkde" from a failsafe xterm session I get lots of errors on the console:

Quote:

kio (KSycoca): ERROR: No database available!
kdecore (KLibLoader): WARNING: KLibrary: /usr/kde/3/lib/libkdecore.so.4: undefined symbol: init_kcm_kicker
kdecore (KLibLoader): WARNING: KLibrary: The library kcm_kicker does not offer an init_kcm_kicker function
kio (KSycoca): WARNING: Found version 49, expecting version 60 or higher.
kio (KSycoca): WARNING: Outdated database found
kcmshell: ERROR: ERROR 3: couldn't create slave : Unable to create io-slave:
klauncher said: Unknown protocol 'file'.
kcmshell:
kdecore (KLibLoader): WARNING: KLibrary: /usr/kde/3/lib/libkdecore.so.4: undefined symbol: init_kcm_kicker
kdecore (KLibLoader): WARNING: KLibrary: The library kcm_kicker does not offer an init_kcm_kicker function
kcmshell: ERROR: ERROR 3: couldn't create slave : Unable to create io-slave:
klauncher said: Unknown protocol 'file'.
kcmshell:

I don't understand since it worked so well on another Gentoo box I have.
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh...
From the last post, it looks like the 3.1 version is trying to load libraries belonging to an 3.0.x version.

Code:

kio (KSycoca): WARNING: Found version 49, expecting version 60 or higher.
kio (KSycoca): WARNING: Outdated database found

How about trying to do an env-update, then try to restart KDE?

It sure does look like the path points to the correct directory, but not the dynamic linker that loads the shared libraries.

Make sure that you have both /usr/kde/3 and /usr/kde/3.1 directories if you have both 3.0.x and 3.1 installed.

Erik
trick
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 9:26 pm    Post subject: SOLVED! Reply with quote

Solved the problem!

It wasn't the library problem with me, but startkde popped up a lot of 'missing database' lines. Did env-update, restarted kde, same problem - then, thanks to ebrostig, i got an idea and took a look in /etc/env.d - there, the env entries for kde 3.0.4 was mingled with the kde 3.1 ones, so i moved the 3.0.4 entries to a different place and rebooted just to be sure. That fixed it!
mrnice
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 9:39 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Thanks for that trick, trick :wink:
It also works for me!
bzugda
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After exactly the same problem, I looked in /etc/env.d and found there was an entry missing from the kdelibs-3.1 file for KDEDIRS which existed in kdelibs-3. After manually updating this file, everything works again.
I had the whole "file not a protocol" and nothing working thing. Looks like it couldn't find the kde 3.1 directories.

The weird thing was that before I found that ommission, I could run "startkde" as root and it worked without problems. Presumably root has it's own entry for KDEDIRS somewhere or makes an educated guess.
al
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bzugda - Hey thanks for that.

I had the same problem,but after manually editing the kdelibs file like you said kde3.1 now runs like a dream!
turi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now, for the slow ones like me, once again:

Add the line

KDEDIRS=/usr/kde/3.1

to the file /etc/env.d/49kdelibs-3.1 (the number in front could be different) and then (as root) run "env-update". Now you should be ready to go.

BTW I love gnome's nested login window, you can change KDE options and retry without having to restart X.
[smeagol]
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you guys know what the pattern to the numbers before the files are?

I don't even have a kdelibs file there :(
bzugda
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No in a word, I don't know the pattern or the meaning but I can tell you that the numbers on mine are 49kdelibs-3.1 and 56kdedir-3.1.
kappax
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fixed my problem with the help of andee on #gentoo :) thanks andee

2 things to do to make 3.1.1 work for me

fist run

kbuildsycoca

then

REMOVE or UNemerge all in

/usr/kde/3 :) and that fixed all my problems :)
Distro: Gentoo
kernel: 2.6.0-test9-mm2
----------------------
vi makes me :wq in word pad :(
Endolf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 4:56 pm    Post subject: Fixed for me too Reply with quote

I had the unknown protocol file, and the kde 3.0 instead of kde 3.1 splash screen, removed 65kdelibs-3.0.5a and 50kdedir-3.0.5a from /etc/env.d , ran env-update and restarted x, all solved.

Cheers

Endolf
gurdyleete
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bzugda wrote:
After exactly the same problem, I looked in /etc/env.d and found there was an entry missing from the kdelibs-3.1 file for KDEDIRS which existed in kdelibs-3. After manually updating this file, everything works again.
I had the whole "file not a protocol" and nothing working thing. Looks like it couldn't find the kde 3.1 directories.

This worked for me, too, basically. But if I log in with kdm to kde 3.1.1, sound doesn't work, XMMS won't play etc. If I log in with kdm to kde 3.1, sound works, XMMS plays, etc. Any ideas about what might cause the problem in kde 3.1.1 and not in kde 3.1?
bzugda
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gurdyleete wrote:

This worked for me, too, basically. But if I log in with kdm to kde 3.1.1, sound doesn't work, XMMS won't play etc. If I log in with kdm to kde 3.1, sound works, XMMS plays, etc. Any ideas about what might cause the problem in kde 3.1.1 and not in kde 3.1?

I haven't upgraded to 3.1.1 yet (mebbe tonight) so I can't really comment on the state of the files mentioned previously here. But I'd suggest, if it's /just/ sound you're having a problem with, this is an unrelated issue. Perhaps you should check out whether artsd/esound/whatever is having a fit. I'll let you know though if I get any similar probs when I upgrade.
anz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 7:58 am    Post subject: a very, very thank you to all you wizards! Reply with quote

I only wanted to update my k3b - and kdebase 3.1.1 was installed too (because of the emerge -u app-cdr/k3b) - with resulting in the error messages written above.
There was also no xxkdelibs-3.1.1 in the folder /etc/env.d/
A file 49kdelibs-3.1.1 was created (I took the same number as my xxkdelibs-3.1.1 has), the string KDEDIRS=/usr/kde/3.1 written in it - and KDE restarted. After the same error messages and a mental breakdown, I recognized something with an env-update ...
... after that magic word, everything is working ...
... except some nervous twitches ... :wink:

So all to you: thank you, thank you, thank you!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: