OS/2 and eComStation
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brendaniabbatis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: OS/2 and eComStation Reply with quote

I am beginning a port of Gentoo to OS/2 and eComStation. Any reason I cannot or should not do this? Any other interest?

(Besides flames about whether an OS has a soul or the mathematical meaning of /2. Not interested - and my avatar has a lightsaber and knows how to use it.)
Redhatter
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say go for it. How good is the POSIX environment in OS/2? This IMHO would be the deciding factor -- no POSIX environment, no Gentoo.

Why...? because you'd end up rewriting 99% of portage just to make it work, not to mention porting all the other apps.

I don't see Gentoo OS/2 being an overwhelming sensation, given OS/2's popularity at the moment... but it would be interesting nevertheless.

Gentoo/MIPS Cobalt developer, Mozilla herd member.
brendaniabbatis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redhatter wrote:
I'd say go for it. How good is the POSIX environment in OS/2? This IMHO would be the deciding factor -- no POSIX environment, no Gentoo.

Thanks. As a start, I'm in the process of evaluating just how "good" the POSIX environment is. It's certainly better than "no POSIX." Python is completely current, and a fairly large number of apps, including XFree86, have been ported. So it seems to work, with some patching. I believe that a port of Gentoo will make it easier to keep the apps current, and easier, with USE variables, to compile in specific features such as Everblue (which puts X on the OS/2 desktop).
Redhatter
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the sounds of it... it's a better POSIX system than the Interix subsystem that I'm trying to get Gentoo ported to. ( see the GeNToo thread ;-) )

Certainly, let us know how it goes. Some of the issues I've had to deal with (i.e. hacking Portage to recognise the "Interix" OS, and compiling portage in the first place) certainly would also be issues on OS/2, but certainly these are not severe blockages.

Some of the problems I'm striking with Portage on Interix, seem to be similar to ones I've hit using Gentoo/MIPS with a 64-bit (n32) userland.

Hrmm, I see myself throwing OS/2 back on a machine before long. ;-)
Let us know how it goes. :-)

The DF MB2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:25 am    Post subject: OS/2 EMX? Reply with quote

Isn't EMX a POSIX environment for OS/2? You could try that. What version of OS/2 (eComStation) are intending to develop this for? I may be able to test as I have an installation of Warp 4 FP15.

Simon Vannarath.
brendaniabbatis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: OS/2 EMX? Reply with quote

The DF MB2 wrote:
Isn't EMX a POSIX environment for OS/2? You could try that. What version of OS/2 (eComStation) are intending to develop this for? I may be able to test as I have an installation of Warp 4 FP15.

Yes EMX is the set of libraries needed for the POSIX environment in OS/2. There are a number of outdated web sites around making claims about the latest version, but apparently it is really 0.9d, fix 4. It can be downloaded from Hobbes.

I am using eComStation 1.1, but all you need is EMX which should work on OS/2 2.0 and up.

Edit: Many POSIX commands require UCONV.DLL, which is provided by fixpaks. I am not sure if OS/2 v2.0 has such a fixpak. Also using Portage is pretty pointless without networking, so Warp 3 Connect or higher would be required unless you have a licensed networking add-on package such as the client for Warp Server.

Last edited by brendaniabbatis on Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
brendaniabbatis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Howto: OS/2 POSIX Reply with quote

After hunting around and weeding out old information I found how to create a build environment on OS/2. For those also interested in trying here is how I did it.

Edit: Updated instructions 12/4/2006.

Start with a version of OS/2 at a fixpak level that includes UCONV.DLL. Best to use the latest fixpak level. There is a neat utility for creating updated install disks here, with instructions and some info on latest fixpak levels.

I strongly suggest using a dedicated HPFS partition for Gen/2. If you want to share data with a Linux installation use EXT2. Does not work with eComStation.

The updated build environment setup, from Mozilla for Warp (Warpzilla).
gcc-3.3.5-csd1.
libc-0.6.1-csd1.
Docs for gcc.
(unsupported) build tools.

As I find newer versions of the tools I will continue to modify this post.

Last edited by brendaniabbatis on Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:44 am; edited 6 times in total
The DF MB2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Howto: OS/2 POSIX Reply with quote

brendaniabbatis wrote:
...snip...

The next step is to patch Portage to recognize OS/2, build it, install it, and run 'emerge info'. We'll see what happens....

Hi, it's been a little while... I've had a small holiday and now back into my studies, and was curious on what success you're having up to this point (ie. patching Portage). I'm hoping to follow your instructions on building the environment in the coming week.
brendaniabbatis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Howto: OS/2 POSIX Reply with quote

The DF MB2 wrote:

Hi, it's been a little while... I've had a small holiday and now back into my studies, and was curious on what success you're having up to this point (ie. patching Portage). I'm hoping to follow your instructions on building the environment in the coming week.

Sorry for taking so long. Been using all my time for a job search, and now I'll be working on setting up Fedora at home gearing up for my new job. Once that's done I'll resume working on Gen/2. I don't think patching Portage is going to be too much. Something similar to what Redhatter is doing on NT above.

Be sure you have the latest version of my instructions because I have been revising them as I learn more about the process. If you have any problems you can post here or PM me and we can put our heads together.

Thanks for sharing interest. I'll have some news soon!
The DF MB2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 6:36 am    Post subject: Gen/2? Reply with quote

Hey... Gen/2? That name ain't half bad!!! :D :D Succinct and to the point! But then, what else would you have called it?

Simon

Edit: spelling.
brendaniabbatis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Gen/2? Reply with quote

The DF MB2 wrote:
Hey... Gen/2? That name ain't half bad!!! :D :D Succinct and to the point! But then, what else would you have called it?

Yeah but I can't take credit for it. It was stonent, in response to a mention of this project in the BeOS post.

Uh... did I imply that what Redhatter is doing isn't much? Rather I meant I would just follow his procedure. Still haven't had time to try anything yet, but I will!

Last edited by brendaniabbatis on Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:53 am; edited 2 times in total
Redhatter
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... after some arguing with my machine this afternoon... I managed to get OS/2 to play nice with QEMU. I'm just getting peripherals going such as SVGA video, audio and network... but so far so good.

So first question, whereabouts do I download the required packages? I'm sorta familiar with OS/2, but not the nitty gritty of things like POSIX emulation.

brendaniabbatis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So first question, whereabouts do I download the required packages? I'm sorta familiar with OS/2, but not the nitty gritty of things like POSIX emulation.

I was hoping you would join me in this. What version of OS/2 are you using?

The HOWTO I linked to above gives a good description of how to set up the POSIX environment. http://www.os2site.com is a good source. Basically you need the latest fixpaks from IBM for your version of OS/2 (which I can help with if you need it), EMX 0.9d, fix 4 with gcc, and the Innotek libc/gcc.

Other than what I have already posted, what else can I help you to find?

Last edited by brendaniabbatis on Fri May 05, 2006 10:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
The DF MB2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:37 am    Post subject: Slight problem... Reply with quote

Uhhh, I lost my OS/2 partition... hard drive's dead (no essential data though)! All I need is a new laptop hard drive and then I'll try to get back up to speed soon. For the time being now I'll be trying my luck installing Gentoo on an IBM RS/6000 43P-140. I had this machine for ages now, been dying to put something in it. Hey, I may be able to get OS/2 Warp 4 to work, albeit in QEMU PPC.

Redhatter, I did see your post in the QEMU forums, I actually was looking up OS/2 host support (which alas, doesn't exist as far as I am aware) when I came across it.

Simon
Redhatter
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it boots, but it doesn't go so nicely... Video is only VGA16 for one, and networking is totally b0rked... I brought it up on the QEMU forums (which appear to be down at the moment)... but basically, this was the result of my efforts.

It's OS/2 Warp 4.0... I'm not sure exactly what version though.

The DF MB2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redhatter, if you have Warp 4 you have version 4.0 :) Unless you have installed Convenience Packages (4.51, 4.52) which aren't worth getting IMO since eComStation 1.x provides a better deal.

Simon
brendaniabbatis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redhatter wrote:
Well, it boots, but it doesn't go so nicely... Video is only VGA16 for one, and networking is totally b0rked... I brought it up on the QEMU forums (which appear to be down at the moment)... but basically, this was the result of my efforts.

It's OS/2 Warp 4.0... I'm not sure exactly what version though.

Looks to me like there are some compatibility issues with QEMU. Don't panic over all those ugly error messages. I would not install LAN PEER - just TCP/IP to keep it simple. You'll need to update to the 32-bit TCP/IP stack though.

For what it's worth, the QEMU forum has moved.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: