Keyboard Mapping for 2005.0 Installation
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Keyboard Mapping for 2005.0 Installation Reply with quote

I installed the Gentoo Sparc 2005.0 on a plain jane Ultra-5 which worked very well. However, I can't get the keyboard to work in X. I've Googled and Searched, but cannot find an answer that works for me. I got X working with the 2004.3 install and saved the xorg.conf file, but it doesn't seem to like the keyboard with 2005.0. The kernel is Linux-2.4.29-sparc and xorg is version 6.8.2-r1 from the 2005.0 GRP CD. My keyboard mapping in rc.conf is KEYMAP="sunkeymap". My keyboard setup in xorg.conf looks like the following.

Code:
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "keyboard"
Option "XkbRules" "sun"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
Option "XkbModel" "type5"
EndSection

Any help appreciated.
ThorstenHirsch
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly the same xorg.conf setting that I was using with 2.4.29-sparc-r1.

So, maybe they already used some updates/patches for 2005.0 that I've just stumbled over when migrating to kernel 2.6.x: try using "XkbModel" "pc105". Maybe you need to remove "XkbRules", I haven't tried it with this setting so far.
gust4voz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "keyboard"
Option "Protocol" "Standard"
Option "XkbModel" "type5"
Option "XkbRules" "sun"
Option "XkbLayout" "en_US"
Option "XkbKeyCodes" "sun(type5)"
Option "XkbTypes" "types/complete"
Option "XkbCompat" "compat/complete"
Option "XkbGeometry" "sun(type5unix)"
Option "AutoRepeat" "250 30"
EndSection

This is what i'm using with a 2.4 kernel on my u5 and xorg-6.8.2-r1, type6 (same as type5 anyway) with US-layout.
What problem do you see with the keyboard?
Mikey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

It just seems that the mapping is off on the keyboard. I get different letters than the keys I type or I get junk. Specifically, I've noticed that the row of keys "a" through "l" are off by one character. If I type the "a" key I get a "s". If I type the "s" key I get a "d". It's that way all along that row of keys.

I'll try your setup and see what happens.
Mikey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gust4voz:

Your setup looks the same as Ferris McCormick's example. I tried this before and no joy. The mapping of the keyboard is still messed up.
rsborn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having this same issue since my last upgrade of Xorg. Here is my keyboard section of my xorg.conf file
Code:

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier  "Keyboard0"
    Driver      "keyboard"
    Option      "Protocol"      "Standard"
    Option      "XkbKeyCodes"   "sun(type5)"
    Option      "XkbModel"      "type5"
    Option      "XkbLayout"     "en_US"
    Option      "XkbTypes"      "types/complete"
    Option      "XkbCompat"     "compat/complete"
    Option      "XkbGeometry"   "sun(type5unix)"
    Option      "AutoRepeat"    "250 30"

EndSection

I have tried both Driver "kbd" as well as "keyboard" with the same results. I even tried pc105 as the type. Has anybody got this working.

This is an Ultra 10 with a type5c keyboard that has worked flawlessly until this upgrade

thanks,
Rick[/code]
Ferris
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please verify in your /var/log/Xorg.0.log file that you see these lines someplace very near the end:

(WW) *** WARNING the legacy keyboard driver "keyboard" is deprecated
(WW) *** and will be removed in the next release of the Xorg server.
(WW) *** Please consider using the the new "kbd" driver for "Keyboard0".
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse0" (type: MOUSE)

If you don't, you don't have the legacy (deprecated) keyboard driver build in, and (1) either the version of X you are running was built with a 2.6 kernel, or (2) For some reason it thinks it was.

It is not too clear to me whether this is a fresh install, or if you have just rebuilt X, or just changed profiles. If you just changed profiles, the only change from 2004.3 --> 2005.0 is that USE='font-server' is no longer a sparc default (at
least, that's what a file comparison shows).

If a fresh install, probably just rebuilding xorg with your kernel 2.4 should cure it.
If you do have those warnings in your Xorg log file, I am out of ideas.

Regards,
rsborn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ferris wrote:
Please verify in your /var/log/Xorg.0.log file that you see these lines someplace very near the end:

If you don't, you don't have the legacy (deprecated) keyboard driver build in, and (1) either the version of X you are running was built with a 2.6 kernel, or (2) For some reason it thinks it was.

It is not too clear to me whether this is a fresh install, or if you have just rebuilt X, or just changed profiles. If you just changed profiles, the only change from 2004.3 --> 2005.0 is that USE='font-server' is no longer a sparc default (at

OK Ferris, thanks
Here is some more info:
I do have those exact error messages at almost the very end of the file but I also have other errors farther up the file.

Code:

(II) LoadModule: "keyboard"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/modules/input/keyboard_drv.so
(EE) LoadModule: Module keyboard does not have a keyboardModuleData data object.
(II) UnloadModule: "keyboard"
(II) Unloading /usr/lib/modules/input/keyboard_drv.so
(EE) Failed to load module "keyboard" (invalid module, 0)

This seems to indicate a problem with the legacy keyboard driver.

This is not a fresh install, I originally installed on Christmas day (yah the wife wasn't very happy about that) everything was fine until I performed a emerge -u gnome about a week ago. This upgraded my xorg to the latest I believe. At first X wouldn't work at all but I realized that the paths for a bunch of things changed so I needed to update my xorg.conf file. Now X comes up but I can't log in because of the keyboard mapping.

I did see a bug in bugzilla about this but to be honest, it seems that involves the use of the deprecated keyboard driver which I think I am doing.

thanks for any insight you can provide

Rick
Ferris
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, those error indicators are misleading but normal and expected. It just means that it can't load the keyboard module. Later at the end of the log, it should indicate that it's falling back to the built-in keyboard driver.
I am running xorg-x11-6.8.2-r1, kernel=2.4.26-sparc-r2 on the system I am composing this on (U2, type5 clone kbd.) In relevant part, my xorg.conf is:

Code:

Section "InputDevice"
  Identifier  "Keyboard0"
  Driver      "keyboard"
  Option      "Protocol"    "Standard"
  Option      "XkbKeycodes" "sun(type5)"
  Option      "XkbModel"    "type5"
  Option      "XkbRules"    "sun"
  Option      "XkbLayout"   "en_US"
  Option      "XkbTypes"    "types/complete"
  Option      "XkbCompat"   "compat/complete"
  Option      "XkbGeometry" "sun(type5unix)"
EndSection

rc.conf says:
Code:

KEYMAP="sunkeymap"

As I said, profiles 2004.3 (which I am using) and 2005.0 are really the same. I am about of ideas, but have three more comments:
(1) Your keyboard is behaving as if you were specifying an XkbKeymap entry (which will not work); so
(2) Please check the first few lines of Xorg.0.conf to make sure you are loading the correct xorg.conf file;
(3) Do you see this only from gnome? If so, you should look at gnome bugs, too.

I don't know what version of xorg you upgraded from, but keyboard handling hasn't changed for sparc at all that I am aware of.

Sorry not to be of more help, but I just don't see what is going on for you.
rsborn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsborn wrote:
Ferris wrote:

OK Ferris, thanks
Here is some more info:
I do have those exact error messages at almost the very end of the file but I also have other errors farther up the file.

Code:

(II) LoadModule: "keyboard"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/modules/input/keyboard_drv.so
(EE) LoadModule: Module keyboard does not have a keyboardModuleData data object.
(II) UnloadModule: "keyboard"
(II) Unloading /usr/lib/modules/input/keyboard_drv.so
(EE) Failed to load module "keyboard" (invalid module, 0)

This seems to indicate a problem with the legacy keyboard driver.

This is not a fresh install, I originally installed on Christmas day (yah the wife wasn't very happy about that) everything was fine until I performed a emerge -u gnome about a week ago. This upgraded my xorg to the latest I believe. At first X wouldn't work at all but I realized that the paths for a bunch of things changed so I needed to update my xorg.conf file. Now X comes up but I can't log in because of the keyboard mapping.

I did see a bug in bugzilla about this but to be honest, it seems that involves the use of the deprecated keyboard driver which I think I am doing.

thanks for any insight you can provide

Rick

OK, nevermind, my bad. I had left a bunch of junk in the keyboard session that probably only worked with the newer driver, I removed all of those and now it works. The lines I removed were:
Protocol
XkbKeyKeyCodes
XkbTypes
XkbCompat

and changed the XkbLayout to us from en_US

Also added a XkbRules and XkbVariant line,

Not sure why it worked but I'm happy it did

Rick
rsborn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Ferris, we must have been responding at the same time.

Well I did not have a XkbKeymap but I did remove some lines that were not in my original file (see previous post)

Now I am really confused but happy it is working, you sample is exactly like mine was before making the changes (as a matter of fact I think I grabbed your sample when I first installed this).

One thing I failed to mention was that my keyboard is a Type 5c (genuine Sun) does the "c" make a difference?

Another strange thing was that the kbd driver seemed to load, it just messed up the mapping, is this what you have seen. I think when I have some spare time I will try to get a 2.6 kernel working on this, but I'd imagine that is a lot of compiling by the time you are done

Thanks for your help,

Rick
huseyin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsborn:

I had the exact keyboard problem with 2.4.29 kernel.
can you send the latest xorg.conf file .

What I did was, everthing was compiled and was working for 2.6.5 ( except sound). then I downgraded to 2.4.29 and emerged xorg again. Made the necessary changes to rc.conf, xorg.conf. Keyboard was working in text mode, but it failed on X (pressing s key outputs d etc..).

huseyin
rsborn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.rit.edu/~rsb4753/xorg.conf

I'm not sure this one is perfect, I think I should probably change the model to type5 instead of type5_unix. I'm sure there are other changes I should make but it works

Hopefully this works for you

Rick
ThorstenHirsch
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what shall I do when I'm trying to use kernel 2.6?
'Cause I've rebuilt xorg under kernel 2.6 and now I don't have these warnings about using the legacy keyboard driver anymore in my Xorg.0.log. :(

edit: Hey, since I'm using /dev/input/mouse0 instead of .../mice my mouse is working again and so with all the other different settings to kernel 2.4 my configuration is now usable under kernel 2.6.
Ferris
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At http://dev.gentoo.org/~fmccor/docs/xorg/xorg.conf/xorg.conf.html there are sample (working) xorg.conf files. One for kernel 2.4.xx, one for kernel 2.6.xx. The changes from 2.4 --> 2.6 for xorg are in the Keyboard and Mouse specifications. Everything else should be the same from one kernel to the other.

(My samples are for Creator/Elite graphics. If that is not what you have, keep what you are using now for that part of xorg.conf, of course. :wink: )
Mikey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday, I installed Gentoo 2005.0 for Sparc once again because I had been playing around with other distributions. Installing X from the GRP disk once again led to keyboard problems. This time all I did to fix the problem was compile the source code for xorg-x11. There seems to be something wrong with the binary on the GRP disk. I will check for a bug report and submit one if none exists for this problem.

I'm up and running with KDE!:D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: