Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
dependencies problem & nvidia-kernel
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sphexn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 12:31 pm    Post subject: dependencies problem & nvidia-kernel Reply with quote

Hi!

I have a problem with my new installed gentoo... after installing it, I had no problems, i could install kde and the nvida-kernel and nvidia-glx by merging it and it worked... Then I megred some other packages (doesn't know wich one's exactly) and now it tells me on startup that he could't caluclate the module dependencies and the nvidia-drivers don't work anymore... I had to switch to the normal drivers in XF86Config, and now it works again.
Now I tried to use the original Nvidia-drivers, so I loaded the source packages (no rpms) to compile it manually. When I'm installing the kernel (The NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2960.tar.gz from today) with make install, he tells me:

ld -r -o NVdriver Module-linux Module-nvkernel size NVdriver

text data bss dec hex filename
824576 52820 52364 929760 e2fe0 NVdriver
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r7/kernel/drivers/video/NVdriver

make: *** [package-install] Error 1

Now I don't know how to solve this problem and I worry I have to reinstall all from the beginning... do someone know this problem?

I still know I merged gnome after installing kde and the nvidia-drivers...

greets & thx,

sphex
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you build the kernel using the correct method:

cp .config ../
make mrproper
cp ../.config ./
make dep Clean bzImage && make modules modules_install
mount /boot
cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage-?????
<change grub if needed.>
<reboot>
update-modules
emerge nvidia-kernel

You can check the builddate of the kernel with dmesg | less (first line). Many people reboot using an old kernel.

Btw. modules are build using /usr/src/linux , this is where you build your kernel and it should contain the right .config file and make dep should be run.

Cya lX.
sphexn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 2:40 pm    Post subject: hm, don't understand Reply with quote

hm, I does't understand what you want to tell me... the install-instructions of the nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx says, that I should untar them and then run on both dirs the "make install"... then I get the described message.

when I make update-modules he tells me
"depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r7/kernel/drivers/video/NVdriver" again

and why should i compile a kernel, I thought this nvidia-kernel is a packet for building the driver, although it's named "kernel", or did I get it wrong? there is no instruction for that in the readme, so I don't know...

greets, sphex
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the compiling that lx was talking about refers to your linux kernel.

maybe you can try UNemerging your currently installed nvidia drivers.

run both of these:

emerge -C nvidia-glx
emerge -C nvidia-kernel

then do an
emerge rsync (in case there are newer packages)

and then
emerge nvidia-glx (that will install both the glx and the kernel)

make the changes in your XF86Config file
change driver value from "nv" to "nvidia"

make sure you add
load "glx"
and that you remove
load "dri"
and
load "GLcore"

see how you go.. good luck!
sphexn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 4:00 pm    Post subject: thx! Reply with quote

hm, now it works, don't know what I did wrong the times before, but it works now! thanks to everyone!

greets, sphex
sphexn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 4:40 pm    Post subject: again problem Reply with quote

now I know when the problem appears... it appears right after I emerged the alsa-sound drivers... (they don't work either till now *g*)... I compiled a new kernel with the sblive 1024 module and put this module (emu10k1) in the modules.autoload... and after the next restart the nvidia-drivers don't work anymore... I have to unmerge en remerge the nvidia-glx and then it works again... does anyone know this problem?

btw. how can I get alsa work? I emerged the drivers, made a kernel with sblive 1024 module und oss module... i can modprobe the emu10k1 module, but there is no oss module... that's funny, but I can hear the sound in kde *G* some tipps?

thx & greets, sphex
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: