YOUR DOCS need work
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ftg888
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 9:39 pm    Post subject: YOUR DOCS need work Reply with quote

I really love your os and setup. And your irc users are quite helpful.
But your docs need a lot of work.

K.

ps: finally got my netra running... mostly :-)
bsolar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: YOUR DOCS need work Reply with quote

Can you provide some more "constructive" critic?
:roll:
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please assist in improving the docs you've had troubles with by filing corrections/additions/etc. at https://bugs.gentoo.org.

Thanks.
gilesc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 10:17 pm    Post subject: He probably means the sparc install document Reply with quote

I have to say I ran into some problems.

For instance after extracting the stage-1 tarball for Sparc I found that I could not mount /proc... it was a simple problem in the end (the proc mount point did not exist).

It's easier if you have installed Gentoo on a x86 machine before you venture to attempt the Sparc install.

If I had time I would put some effort into improving the document, although as I'm only equipped with a lowly Ultra 5 that's now more or less installed anyway there's little scope for me to help at this time.

If I have to re-install at some point I'll make some notes to submit to improve the Sparc documentation.
Blademan
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree. I have had issues in the past (attempted to use 1.1 iso, no networking, use debian other issues, get networking but not when i chroot) which I have posted in the forums and some bugs as well. So I gave up on the Sparc install for some while and then came back to it after I saw the following:
Quote:
and Sparc/UltraSparc installation documentation have all been updated to reflect the changes in 1.4_rc3.
on the homepage http://www.gentoo.org/.

I don't see any differences in the install docs, and the only iso is still the same 1.1, a bunch of the problems are still there today:
- ifconfig works on ramdisk, but not on chroot
- no mention of mounting /proc or /dev
- no mention of formatting partitions

A more recent iso would be a giant step in the right direction, rather than pointing to debian startup discs. A 1.4rc3 image is all well and done, but you have to be able to get that far to be able to use it.

Just my $.02.

Updated: Get onto irc and onto the #gentoo-sparc channel. Lot's of helpful folk, just be patient. Also, check out this thread, lot's of suggesitons/fixes: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=39064

Last edited by Blademan on Wed Mar 05, 2003 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

We're working on the docs. We're also working on a new cd image, upon which some of the document is dependent. So once the CD is done we can update the docs to something a little more useful.

In the meantime, feel free to keep pointing out errors/bug/suggestions like
Blademan007 has been doing. Especially when it comes to documentation, the more eyes the better. I''ll be keeping an eye on the forums to help when I can.

Thanks for helping out and using Gentoo :)
kluzz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any way I can try the new sparc-iso that is being worked on? I have a blade 1000 I'd like to see running gentoo in the future. Previous attempts have failed because neither gentoo, debian nor suse were able to boot a kernel and detect enough of the hardware to even reach stage1.

Suse boots, but does not see disks, gentoo (the 1.1a image) won't even load the kernel and debian locks up after starting the kernel.
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, you can find the latest rev of the iso at http://cvs.gentoo.org/~manson/iso

There are some instructions there about how to roll your own too.
thewalledcity
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 6:41 pm    Post subject: So this is offically dead? Reply with quote

So the push to make a new iso has died? There are *no* links anywhere on the Gentoo site that show a new Sparc ISO. The documentation doesn't mention it anywere. How am I supposed to boot a tarball?
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sparc ISO is still in the works. You should be seeing information about it appearing this week. Sorry for the delay
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can download the ISO of your choice (sparc or sparc64) from http://cvs.gentoo.org/~weeve/iso/1.4_rc4/gentoo-sparc-1.4_rc4.iso.bz2 and http://cvs.gentoo.org/~jmorgan/iso/gentoo-sparc64-1.4_rc4.iso.bz2 respectively.
duggy_92127
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 11:33 pm    Post subject: Question! Reply with quote

So, I have a question about these ISOs. I'm trying to get a sparc box up and running, but it has no CD-ROM drive. I've got RARPD and TFTPD servers running on a machine on my network, and I can get them to serve the sparc box an IP and a boot image.

However, using the Debian Linux image that's referred to in the Docs, when I get to the chroot part where I'm supposed to enter my new Gentoo install and continue the configuration from the inside, I get "your kernel is too old." I can only assume this is because the Debian image kernel is 2.2.20, and something or another inside the Gentoo install needs a newer kernel to work.

So, I downloaded the ISO referenced just above in this thread. I've mounted it on my server via loopback, with the intent of pulling out the kernel image to use to remotely boot my sparc. So... which file is it? I tried 'vmlinux-smp' from '/boot/sparc', but it reports "The file just loaded does not appear to be executable."

So... which file should I have TFTPD send to the sparc to boot it with? Any help would be much appreciated, and if you need more info about my machine or setup, just ask. Thanks! It's a SPARCstation 10.

Doug
Blademan
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So... which file is it? I tried 'vmlinux-smp' from '/boot/sparc', but it reports "The file just loaded does not appear to be executable."

So... which file should I have TFTPD send to the sparc to boot it with? Any help would be much appreciated, and if you need more info about my machine or setup, just ask. Thanks! It's a SPARCstation 10.

The SMP kernel does not work as yet, at least on sparc64.
Your best bet, and the most current and highest level of support can be found on the IRC channel: irc://irc.freenode.net/gentoo-sparc
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason this dies is because the kernel itself is not a proper tftpboot image. We are in the process of making tftpboot images for sparc, and I'll post in the forum when they are ready.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: