MythTV working, how to convert .nuv
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noff
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 5:44 am    Post subject: MythTV working, how to convert .nuv Reply with quote

I've been reading all the documentation on how to convert the Nuppelvideo files mythtv creates and convert them to something small. I can't seem to get any of the programs, exportvideo, mpeg2-movie, or mpeg2tools to compile. I think the main one I need is exportvideo. My goal is to convert them to realvideo or at least divx.

Another solution, is there a way to get mythtv to record not in .nuv?

I tried vcr, but was annoyed by the flipping. Mplayer thrashed the signal when I used it to flip it.
What Larry was saying is that if you make it too easy for programmers, then poor programmers will be able to do things best left to good programmers, and will inevitably do them poorly. Everyone will suffer in the long term as a result." - Tom Chance
zypher
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try avidemux, it should be able to handle nuppel.
I never tested it, though.
noff
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, it doesn't want to open the file. If I can get it into something avidemux can use I will be using that to cut out commercials.
What Larry was saying is that if you make it too easy for programmers, then poor programmers will be able to do things best left to good programmers, and will inevitably do them poorly. Everyone will suffer in the long term as a result." - Tom Chance
mean
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's strange, avidemux can read .nuv

Could you post somewhere a really short sample ?
noff
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't post a file, it records at 50MB/min. I get an alert problem opening that file with avidemux. On my system Mplayer cannot play them either. Mythtv can play them, but that is it.
mean
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If mplayer cannot play it either, it is probably not a vanilla nuv file
noff
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 5:19 am    Post subject: Sorry for the RTFM Reply with quote

Sorry this was a case of RTFM. It appears that MythTV doesn't use standard Nuppelvideo, but there is a patch for use with mplayer/mencoder. If anyone is interested http://dijkstra.csh.rit.edu:8088/~mdz/mythtv/mplayer-0.90pre10+mythtv.patch

It would be nice if that got incorporated into the mplayer codebase. I'm recompiling mplayer now, and it hasn't had any problems yet. If it works I post, since I think there are a fair amount of people out there who are trying mythtv, and maybe impatient like me.
noff
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok if anyone is curious, the myth path allow you to play on mplayer and use mencoder. However I can't seem to get the video stream to come up. I just get a blank screen and sound. Oh and the patch only works if you use rtjpeg not mpeg4 with myth. So I am at least part of the way there.

I get this error when I try to play video in mplayer before it starts up
Code:
Could not find matching colorspace - retrying with -vop scale...

the it starts. Maybe someone with more experience with mplayer knows what that means.
mean
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you put up a 5 seconds sample of the weird nuv format somewhere i believe i could add support for it to avidemux.

I already did it as avidemux can read also the non-standard nuv generated by nuppel_gatos which use Xvid as encoder.
kf0yn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had any trouble using the patched mplayer to handle the MPEG4 .nuv files that MythTV creates. Mostly I use mencoder to convert it into an AVI file, so that I can ultimately make a DVD out of it, though.
knox
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you guys post the steps you took to apply the patch and get mplayer working with the mythtv Nuppel files.

The best I have been able to get is this:

Code:
Playing /home/knox/mythtv/recordings/1007_20030217003500_20030217010500.nuv
NuppelVideo file format detected.
Detected MythTV stream, reading extended format information
FOURCC: XVID

thanks.
panix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the patch to mplayer only seems to work for the nuv files encoded with the mpeg4 encoder. rtjpeg doesnt work.

The conversion to divx worked great for me. Only problem I had was when I would convert from divx to mpeg2 or mpeg1. I had audio/video sync problems. Never solved that problem.
knox
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anyone supplied an ebuild that adds the patch?
knox
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am strill trying to get this patch working properly with mplayer. I have tried applying the patch to both the latest rc4 package and the pre10 package the the patch was originally coded for and they both yield the same error.

Code:

Playing 1054_20030127220000_20030127223000.nuv
Cache fill:  0.00% (0 bytes)    NuppelVideo file format detected.
Detected MythTV stream, reading extended format information
FOURCC: XVID

MPlayer interrupted by signal 8 in module: demux_open

Looks like the format is being correctly determined, but then its just crashing. I know some ppl said that this only works with mpeg4 and thats all I use.

Can anyone offer a reason why this would still be failing?
panix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the following to convert to an avi file from nuv file.

You must have the mplayer patched with the mythtv nuv patch.

mencoder -ovc copy -oac copy filename.nuv

this will produce test.avi which you can further convert to other formats using mencoder (mencvcd to make vcd's, etc.). Doing it this way helps keep the audio/video synced.
knox
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually ... i could have posted my own response to this one.

I found out that recordings done WITHOUT mp3 compressed audio are not playable. So, you can't set "DontCompressAudio=1" if you want to do the conversions. This is a bummer because all of my recordings were done this way. I am not too sure why mplayer wouldn't be able to play the uncompressed audio, but I do remember reading something about mplayer not fully supporting libavcodec's audio stuff, so maybe thats why. Either that or the patch just doesn't include the code it needs to support it.

Anyways ... as soon as I started recording using mp3 compressed audio then everything worked fine.

I am trying to figure out some good settings for compressing the video's now. I usually record at 3300 kbit/s 720x480, but 1gb for a 30min episode is just way to much to actually archive, especially since it won't even fit on a cd. I also find that it becomes even more tricky when you are working with animation, which I have a lot of.
mean
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@noff:
Could you try building avidemux 0.9rc1 + the patch on this thread ? http://forum.media-video.com/index.php?act=ST&f=34&t=9936&
It should (may ?) add mythTV support

AFAIK there is no ebuild for rc1 (zypher ?) so build it from source.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: