View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Archangel_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Printing Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a SPARC Ultra 1, and a Lexmark (postscript-)Printer attached to it.
However, printing won't work.. I modprobe both the parport and parport_sunbpp modules
(dmesg output:
Quote:
parport0: sunbpp at 0x1ffec800000

)

then I load the parallel printer module, which says:
Quote:
lp0: using parport0 (interrupt-driven).

However, printing (via echo "..." >/dev/lp0) doesn't work, and also 'cat /proc/sys/dev/parport/parport0/devices/active' says "none"

Can anyone help me?
phygradmarko
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once asked the same question but never received a reply.

My U2 behaves identical to your observations; module loads correctly etc. but no printing...

I was always hopeful since the printer would go through an initialization process when I loaded the module. Unfortunately, I never tried to solve the problem after my initial attempt.
ibtim13
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went to hook my printer up to my Ultra2 today, fully expecting it to work, and I found I have the same problem as you.
My printer is an Epson Stylus Color 740i.
It has USB, Serial, and Parallel interfaces.
I have only ever used it under linux and it has always worked, usually without any configuration.
This is, however, the first time I've ever used it via parallel, since previous machines all had USB.

Now I'm in trouble. I need to get this printer back up and running on my network.
This box is really the only option I have atm, it has been serving everything else (smb, nfs, http, ftp, ssh, and svn)
for the past year+. Printing is the only thing that I had on a seperate machine because the printer had USB and I
didn't want to deal with parallel.

Does anyone out there know what the deal is with Sun parallel ports?
The modules load, seems like everything's fine, the printer does it's little init dance like the machine just booted, and
then nothing works.
I started trying this with kernel 2.6.9-r10, I've since tried 2.6.10-r6, and 2.6.11.
No change in parallel port functionality (or sound support...but that's a different problem)

There must be something I can do to get this working, so if anyone out there knows (or better yet, has something working)
please let me know.
oldan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phygradmarko wrote:
I once asked the same question but never received a reply.

My U2 behaves identical to your observations; module loads correctly etc. but no printing...

I was always hopeful since the printer would go through an initialization process when I loaded the module. Unfortunately, I never tried to solve the problem after my initial attempt.

I was having a similar problem on my Ultra10. I even had cat > lp0 working. But nothing came out to the printer. It looked for all the world like the printer wasn't even connected. So I shut down and prepared to dig into the motherboard. As I was unplugging all the cables, I noticed that there was another parallel port in a slot... not the one next to the ethernet port. "I wonder" says I. So I plug it all back in and boot her up. Sure enough... I had it plugged into the wrong port all along! Works a treat in the right place!

What I thought was a parallel port was in fact a 25-pin serial port. Check the SUN Documents. Look for the "//" symbol to be sure!

--Oldan
ibtim13
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately that is not the case for me. On the Ultra 2 the parallel port is obviously seperated from the serial ports. The parallel port is on the bottom, directly attached to the motherboard, and the serial ports are above the UPA graphics slot and connect to the motherboard via ribbon cables. I am pretty sure the ultra 10 has a PC-style parallel port while the Ultra2 has a Sun bi-directional parallel port. The PC style port is of course well supported, but I have not heard of anyone who has a sun parallel port working (although it is "supported" in the kernel, and it says that the driver loads and it detects the port, it even detects that I have a printer, but I cannot send anything to the printer.)
oldan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ibtim13 wrote:
Unfortunately that is not the case for me. On the Ultra 2 the parallel port is obviously seperated from the serial ports. The parallel port is on the bottom, directly attached to the motherboard, and the serial ports are above the UPA graphics slot and connect to the motherboard via ribbon cables. I am pretty sure the ultra 10 has a PC-style parallel port while the Ultra2 has a Sun bi-directional parallel port. The PC style port is of course well supported, but I have not heard of anyone who has a sun parallel port working (although it is "supported" in the kernel, and it says that the driver loads and it detects the port, it even detects that I have a printer, but I cannot send anything to the printer.)

Funny, the Ultra10 has the first serial port on the bottom and directly attached to the motherboard while the second serial and PC-style parallel port is in the PCI slots connected back to the motherboard via ribbon cables. :)

Good luck!
--Oldan
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: