Compiling kernel fails on Sparc64/Ultra5
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ligthert
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Compiling kernel fails on Sparc64/Ultra5 Reply with quote

Hi forum,

I have followed the manual to the letter to install Gentoo on my Ultra 5 , but...
The make of the kernel gives errors as it exits

Quote:
/usr/src/linux-2.49-spark/arch/sparc64/math-emu

Once it starts the "ld -m elf64_sparc -T etcetc" command it errors and reveals the following error.

Quote:

drivers/net/net.o(.text+0x31dd4): In Function 'hp100_start_xmit';
: undefined reference to 'isa_memcpy_toio'
drivers/net/net.o(.text+0x31dfc): In Function 'hp100_start_xmit';
: undefined reference to 'isa_memset_io'
drivers/net/net.o(.text+0x32244): In Function 'hp100_rx';
: undefined reference to 'isa_memcpy_fromio'
drivers/net/net.o(.text+0x32290): In Function 'hp100_rx';
: undefined reference to 'isa_readl'

(I am sorry I can't copy'n paste it all for you, my typing skills is the best I have got.)

But did anybody of you had similar experiances and do you have any hints and/or suggestions how to fix this error?

Thanks,

Sacha Ligthert
Ligthert
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removing the HP* drivers from compiling seemed to have fixed it.
ciaranm
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Various weird "won't work in sparcs anyway" drivers will give you issues. Turn off anything you're not using.
GenTimJS
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good general rule when compiling for a sparc box is to "start from scratch" somewhat with the kernel ...

overlooking seemingly innocent drivers, like some of the you-wont-need-it network stuff or firewire drivers or whatever, can cause a sparc kernel to fail compilation very quickly.

When I got my first sparc and threw gentoo at it, it took me about 5 or 6 passes through make menuconfig to finally get all the trash out and make the kernel build ok.
oldan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenTimJS wrote:
A good general rule when compiling for a sparc box is to "start from scratch" somewhat with the kernel ...

overlooking seemingly innocent drivers, like some of the you-wont-need-it network stuff or firewire drivers or whatever, can cause a sparc kernel to fail compilation very quickly.

When I got my first sparc and threw gentoo at it, it took me about 5 or 6 passes through make menuconfig to finally get all the trash out and make the kernel build ok.

I want to second that, Ligthert, and suggest that you fall back and punt (if you're a football kind of guy) and use the sparc kernel sources first. I know they're 2.4.x but they work much more gooderly out of the box than trying to sparc-ize the 2.6 kernels. After getting my Ultra10 up and running 2.4.29, I spent three days going through the 2.6 menuconfig (well, not really three WHOLE days, but three evenings - as much as my lovely wife would allow) making sure I had deleted everything I didn't need and adding in only what I did need to get the first 2.6 kernel boot. Once I got it to boot the first time (what a pleasant surprise THAT was!), I went back through and added drivers and framebuffers one at a time so i could back out quickly if I made a teensy tiny mistake. :)

--Oldan
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: