Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Setting up an internet connection with a Wireless LAN Card.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zaron
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it interesting that nobodly else has posted for a long time. our conversation must make someone have somthing to say about the situation.
maybe they are done with us Meto. they've given us thier help, and since it didn't solve our problem, we are on our own. Although I must say it was nice of them to try. I do appreciate it.

For all those who might be reading this that helped: THANK YOU! (for your time, help, skill, knowlegde, ect...) and just a big THANK YOU in general.
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not that I haven't been following your conversation, it's that I live in Maryland (GMT - 5 hours) and I need to sleep once in a while! :roll: Anyway, I'm glad you guys are attracted to "cool" factor of linux, however it does take some work to get started, and most of all it requires you to RTFM (read the f@&$!ing maunual). That can involve reading the man or info pages on your computer, or just googling arround for answers.

@MEtoLinuxNoob
Code:
#This command
iwconfig wlan0 essid
# Should be this command
iwconfig wlan0 essid any
Reading man iwconfig will give you more information on how to set up your interface using iwconfig. Both of you could also look into native linux wireless support with either linux-wlan-ng or with madwifi. Both are in portage, however both are also marked "testing", so you'll need to run echo net-wireless/<package_name> >> /etc/portage/package.keywords before emerging.
MEtoLinuxNoob
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MEtoLinuxNoob wrote:
Zaron wrote:
well, Meto, we have 2 easy options. we can either use the universal CD and follow the guide to do a network install without a network connection from stage 3, or we can install Ubuntu Linux instead. I strongly suggest doing whatever you have too to NOT use windows ME. I and several of my friends have had really bad experiences with ME. it's slow, it crashes often, ect. or get windows XP home or pro. (Pro strongly suggested).

I'm on an XP right now. It's just the computer in my room I'm trying to introduce to Linux.

That's the problem though! I have read the handbook step by step but whenever I get to the installing kernel part it always looks for the files off of the internet. It's very stressful to hear that you CAN do a networkless intallation when I find that is impossible.

I don't know what Ubuntu Linux is, but does it work on 64mb RAM? (I'm getting more RAM soon but soon can be 1-2 weeks depending on shipping)...

Code Listing 14: Copy over source code

# mkdir /mnt/gentoo/usr/portage/distfiles
# cp /mnt/cdrom/distfiles/* /mnt/gentoo/usr/portage/distfiles/

Are you sure you did this? After many days of struggling with this step I finally reilized that I was skipping this. If the first code does not work put a "-p" in it like this,

Code:
 # mkidir -p /mnt/gentoo/usr/portage/distfiles

And then continue with the second command, which should take a minute or so. And *BAM!* you can emerge EVERYTHING from a CD. No more internet.
MEtoLinuxNoob
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zaron wrote:
Ubuntu is here http://ubuntulinux.org/. I don't know if it can run on 64mb of ram or not. I never had to worry about that so I didn't read into it. you should though.

DON'T GIVE UP! I've found the solution. It's the last code on step 5-f. I posted it above! You don't need an internet connection. I'm installing it networkless right now!!
BDickson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:34 am    Post subject: Have you tried the handbook? Reply with quote

[Deleted]

Last edited by BDickson on Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
frozenJim
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grrr.....
Tinksmartbstupid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, I'm not that new to linux, I have been using slackware to a while, and I've decided to give gentoo a try.

I've got all the appropriet wireless drivers installed (ndiswrapper) and the kernel modules (although I'll try again)

I have no wlan0 device, and none of my other devices (eth0, lo) have wireless extensions. what's going on? I modprobed it, and no problems at all.

WTF?
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinksmartbstupid wrote:
hey, I'm not that new to linux, I have been using slackware to a while, and I've decided to give gentoo a try.

I've got all the appropriet wireless drivers installed (ndiswrapper) and the kernel modules (although I'll try again)

I have no wlan0 device, and none of my other devices (eth0, lo) have wireless extensions. what's going on? I modprobed it, and no problems at all.

WTF?
What happens when you run:
Code:
iwconfig wlan0

Tinksmartbstupid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It says:

Wlan0 No such device

The only thing I can think of, is maybe the propper module isn't configured in the kernel, so I'm going to try and rebuild it tonight, see if that makes a difference or not. I'll let you know in the morining

*edit*

I lied, it's not the kernel. I've got the modules compiled in it, and it still doesn't change the outcome

*edit*

whoops....I guess that's what I get for taking the mini pci card out and not putting it back in correctly. :lol:
all better, now that I feel this big *puts fingers about an inch apart*
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: