Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
reiser4 2.6.11 out
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Jowilly
Guru
Guru


Joined: 22 Jun 2002
Posts: 319

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reiser4 for kernel 2.6.11 is completely unstable.

I have huge filesystem corruptions with gentoo-sources-2.6.11 and the 2.6.11 reiser4.

I cannot emerge big packages. I.ex emerge mozilla-firefox: it downloads the file, starts the compile and will break somewhere. When I start the merge again, the downloaded archive is corrupt (but it was ok the first time). Same with openoffice-bin: it installs fine, but when I start oowrite it segfaults; then I unmerge it and try to merge again -> the archive is now corrupt; etc...

I then did a reiser4 check and had corruption all over the drive (but this is not seen at boot !).

I am now back on kernel 2.6.10, which has been rock stable for a long time.

PS: if someone knows where I can file a bug report I will. But unfortunately there is no information on this at namesys.com, and I don't want to go through the trouble of subscribing to a mailing list for that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
firephoto
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 29 Oct 2003
Posts: 1560
Location: +48° 5' 23.40", -119° 48' 30.00"

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The patches for .11 and .10 are different and .11 got updated yesterday again.

I haven't done much with reiser4 but I suspect you working off of a partition that was created before the new changes in 2.6.11 version?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jowilly
Guru
Guru


Joined: 22 Jun 2002
Posts: 319

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

firephoto wrote:
The patches for .11 and .10 are different and .11 got updated yesterday again.

I haven't done much with reiser4 but I suspect you working off of a partition that was created before the new changes in 2.6.11 version?


Yes, its my root partition and it was created several months ago. It was working rock stable until reiser4 for 2.6.11 (I'm now back on 2.6.10 and everything is fine again).

I have launched fsck.reiser4 with --rebuild-fs, it fixed everything but then the same errors happened again.

Do you mean that a reiser4 partition created with a version prior to 2.6.11 is not compatible with 2.6.11 ?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
firephoto
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 29 Oct 2003
Posts: 1560
Location: +48° 5' 23.40", -119° 48' 30.00"

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jowilly wrote:

Do you mean that a reiser4 partition created with a version prior to 2.6.11 is not compatible with 2.6.11 ?

I'm not saying that but from reading the little blurb in the changelog there must of been some big changes if there "could be" a speedup on some systems.

What kernel are you using? Vanilla?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jowilly
Guru
Guru


Joined: 22 Jun 2002
Posts: 319

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

firephoto wrote:
Jowilly wrote:

Do you mean that a reiser4 partition created with a version prior to 2.6.11 is not compatible with 2.6.11 ?

I'm not saying that but from reading the little blurb in the changelog there must of been some big changes if there "could be" a speedup on some systems.

What kernel are you using? Vanilla?


gentoo-sources
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
StifflerStealth
l33t
l33t


Joined: 03 Jul 2002
Posts: 955

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Now I wonder if I should update. I think my root partition was created back on a 2.6.8.1 kernel with reiser4 patched in and that would be the reiser4 tools version 1.0.1. Did you use all those patches, or just the Reiser4 only patch. I remember I once tried all the patches that were included with mm and there were a lot of errors. I eventually gave up and tried the Reiser4 Only patch and everything worked. That was awhile ago though. However, those patches are from the mm sources and they seem to roughly be the same as the ones back when I tried them before. So, to make a long story short. Just try the Reiser4 only patch and see if you have issues.

Cheers.
_________________
Nothing to read in this sig. Move along.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jowilly
Guru
Guru


Joined: 22 Jun 2002
Posts: 319

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StifflerStealth wrote:
Hmm. Now I wonder if I should update. I think my root partition was created back on a 2.6.8.1 kernel with reiser4 patched in and that would be the reiser4 tools version 1.0.1. Did you use all those patches, or just the Reiser4 only patch. I remember I once tried all the patches that were included with mm and there were a lot of errors. I eventually gave up and tried the Reiser4 Only patch and everything worked. That was awhile ago though. However, those patches are from the mm sources and they seem to roughly be the same as the ones back when I tried them before. So, to make a long story short. Just try the Reiser4 only patch and see if you have issues.

Cheers.


I have used the reiser4 only patch for kernel 2.6.11 from ftp.namesys.com (as I did for kernel 2.6.10).

I am using gentoo-sources, not mm-sources.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
StifflerStealth
l33t
l33t


Joined: 03 Jul 2002
Posts: 955

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jowilly wrote:
I am using gentoo-sources, not mm-sources.
I know, but all those other files in that folder on Namesys FTP are from the mm sources. Sorry if I wasn't too clear on that.

I will admit that I have found Reiser4 to be highly unstable for compiling and extracting large files. My /var/tmp is mapped to an ext3 partition. I did that after a tip in these forums about compiling PHP. Before that, everything got corrupted. You can always try using all the patches in that broken out dir.

EDIT: I will be trying the 2.6.11.6 kernel with reiser4, gentoo, ac, and ck patches aka shadow-sources here in a few. I will let you know if I have similar issues.
_________________
Nothing to read in this sig. Move along.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jowilly
Guru
Guru


Joined: 22 Jun 2002
Posts: 319

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StifflerStealth wrote:

EDIT: I will be trying the 2.6.11.6 kernel with reiser4, gentoo, ac, and ck patches aka shadow-sources here in a few. I will let you know if I have similar issues.


Great, I'll be waiting for your findings :)

(try to merge several big packages at the same time)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
StifflerStealth
l33t
l33t


Joined: 03 Jul 2002
Posts: 955

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went searching on the Internet and I found a fix, but I don't know if it is for your issue. I Dled it and had to change a few things for it to apply correctly. I found it in the mm broken out directory. You can try it if you want, to see if it fixes your issue. You can get it Here. If it doesn't apply cleanly, then you can try the original Here.

It will still be awhile before I can tell you, so if you are anxious, then you can try that out. I will compile first without the patch and if there are issues, I will compile with that patch. *crosses fingures*
_________________
Nothing to read in this sig. Move along.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
firephoto
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 29 Oct 2003
Posts: 1560
Location: +48° 5' 23.40", -119° 48' 30.00"

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to apply all the patches, not just the one that says reiser4. If they weren't needed they wouldn't be there.

Is this when you had trouble when you didn't have all the patches?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DL8
n00b
n00b


Joined: 27 Jul 2004
Posts: 54
Location: Israel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patched, now I'm compiling for my Ubuntu (on triple boot with Gentoo and WinXP). Reports later (if I remember this thread)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fallow
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 08 Jan 2004
Posts: 2206
Location: Poland

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also as btw. I dont see any problem in using latest version for mm from namesys ( ftp://ftp.namesys.com/pub/reiser4-for-2.6/2.6.12-rc1-mm3/ ) with vanilla 2.6.12-rc1 . It requires only 3 trivial rejects correction in includes and reverse memory_backends from r4 code. I'm on it now and this working pretty.
2.6.12-rc1 is also interesting because of SECCOMP and Randomization in vanilla now for ex.

if somebody is too lazy to roll a patch from 2.6.12-rc1-mm3 version from namesys for 2.6.12-rc1-vanilla , this is ready diff -> http://vivid.dat.pl/fallow/pub/index.php?path=reiser4_for_vanilla/

cheers.
_________________
"Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived" J-L. Picard ;)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
superstoned
Guru
Guru


Joined: 17 Dec 2004
Posts: 430

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fallow wrote:
also as btw. I dont see any problem in using latest version for mm from namesys ( ftp://ftp.namesys.com/pub/reiser4-for-2.6/2.6.12-rc1-mm3/ ) with vanilla 2.6.12-rc1 . It requires only 3 trivial rejects correction in includes and reverse memory_backends from r4 code. I'm on it now and this working pretty.
2.6.12-rc1 is also interesting because of SECCOMP and Randomization in vanilla now for ex.

if somebody is too lazy to roll a patch from 2.6.12-rc1-mm3 version from namesys for 2.6.12-rc1-vanilla , this is ready diff -> http://vivid.dat.pl/fallow/pub/index.php?path=reiser4_for_vanilla/

cheers.
I'd be afraid to run this :D
reiser4 has had quite some patches in 2.6.12-mm, and they're working heavilly on it. I think reiser4 is getting in better shape, but I read about quite some problems lately. is it still running smooth for you?

I just read the 4k/8k stacks problem will get fixed in a few weeks, that's great isn't it :D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fallow
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 08 Jan 2004
Posts: 2206
Location: Poland

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

superstoned wrote:
fallow wrote:
also as btw. I dont see any problem in using latest version for mm from namesys ( ftp://ftp.namesys.com/pub/reiser4-for-2.6/2.6.12-rc1-mm3/ ) with vanilla 2.6.12-rc1 . It requires only 3 trivial rejects correction in includes and reverse memory_backends from r4 code. I'm on it now and this working pretty.
2.6.12-rc1 is also interesting because of SECCOMP and Randomization in vanilla now for ex.

if somebody is too lazy to roll a patch from 2.6.12-rc1-mm3 version from namesys for 2.6.12-rc1-vanilla , this is ready diff -> http://vivid.dat.pl/fallow/pub/index.php?path=reiser4_for_vanilla/

cheers.
I'd be afraid to run this :D
reiser4 has had quite some patches in 2.6.12-mm, and they're working heavilly on it. I think reiser4 is getting in better shape, but I read about quite some problems lately. is it still running smooth for you?

I just read the 4k/8k stacks problem will get fixed in a few weeks, that's great isn't it :D


Yeah , Am on it with vanilla kernel now - everything is ok , this version is also for love as update.
In 2.6.12-rc1-love1 was first version from 2.6.12-rc1-mm1 - noone reported a problem , next with update01 was new version for 2.6.11 from namesys ( with oopsing fix ) , now is available also update to this new code (25-03-2005-namesy-for-2.6.12-rc1-mm3 ) . also no-one reported any problem .

I am on it still . :)

cheers.
_________________
"Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived" J-L. Picard ;)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
StifflerStealth
l33t
l33t


Joined: 03 Jul 2002
Posts: 955

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallow, I downloaded all the broken out patches for 2.6.11 and 2.6.12 and did a diff on all of them. There are not many changes at all. Some files are even the same. The diff between the reiser4-only.patches is the line number change and that's about it. The only file that really changed any at all was reiser4-perthread-pages.patch. However, I didn't see anything that would help with this guy's corruption problem. So, updating to the 2.6.12 patches may not really help him. He only used the Reiser4-only.patch, and like I said, virtually no difference at all. That one small difference may help him, but it doesn't look like it will. Sorry. Who knows, that small change may help. *shrug*

I don't know what else can be done.

Later.
_________________
Nothing to read in this sig. Move along.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fallow
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 08 Jan 2004
Posts: 2206
Location: Poland

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@StifflerStealth : Yeah , In did , but my post was only a btw about using latest mm version on vanilla :P :)
fallow wrote:
also as btw. I dont see any problem in using latest version for mm from namesys ( ftp://ftp.namesys.com/pub/reiser4-for-2.6/2.6.12-rc1-mm3/ ) with vanilla 2.6.12-rc1 .


cheers
_________________
"Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived" J-L. Picard ;)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum