Gentoo/OS X Dual-Boot Install - PPC
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDave
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Gentoo/OS X Dual-Boot Install - PPC Reply with quote

Hi all.

Just encountering some more problems with the above install.
After getting through everything and configuring yaboot with no apparent problems and kernel configured as per the handbook, I encountered one issue.
After running ybin -v the handbook suggests exiting and then unmounting as per the following:

Code:
/gentoo  ybin-v
/gentoo  exit
/  unmount /mnt/gentoo/proc /mnt/gentoo/dev /mnt/gentoo
/  reboot

Now, no problem with that - it makes sense (yes, I follow it that far...), but when typing exit I get taken back to the first announcement when you start the install (about SSH etc) and it goes to /root rather than / as I would expect. Also when I then try running unmount I get the bash error that the command doesn't exist/is not recognised. I tried a few times and tried to check the help but received no real clue other than to try unmount2 - same thing.
Failing all else I chose to try the reboot anyway at which point (after hitting an error unmounting LMV volumes) it asks me for a root pass (not yet set) for maintenance or pressing CTRL-D. Pressing CTRL-D continued to reboot the system.
On reboot, All my options are there in yaboot (Linux, Max OSX, CD) and going into Linux brings up a white screen with the following:

Code:
...ok
openingdisplay /pci@f0000000/ATY,JasperParent@10/ATY,Jasper_B@1_

And thats it...no more, no less. After waiting 10 minutes (with no firther responses coming from the machine) I rebooted and tried to see if the OSX partition still worked. Choosing it simply flashed the screen (as though it was trying) and then returned me back to the yaboot screen.
Repeated attempts on this also failed.
Now, I'm unsure about what I screwed up with the OSX side of things, and my initial guess for the whitescreen is maybe that I screwed something up in the KernelConfig that didn't detect until later? Not sure if that was possible and able to affect this scenario but just a thought.
As for the unmount - I'm at a complete loss.

Any and all ideas are welcome.

For a list of my previous problems/work in progress on the install, can be found at
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-37708.html

Decided to post the further questions here as its more specific.

Thanks
Dave

PS: Running on Apple Alumnium Powerbook G4 1GHz, 512Mb RAM, Airport Extreme (I know, it won't work...), 2xFirewire, 2xUSB2.0, Superdrive
loki99
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wouldn't it be better, to ask this question in the Gentoo on PPC forum?

-------------------------
cheers, loki99
TDave
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:oops: Good point...hadn't spotted that yet.

Apologies.

If mods want to delete this thread, go right ahead, moving to appropriate forum..

Dave
Maedhros
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo.
JDCentral
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first thoughts:
if you type 'exit' and it brings you back to the 'normal' ssh thing (and you EXPECTED to bring it back to root), you might not have been chroot'ed correctly. Try booting off of the gentoo CD, again (which is the nice thing about the gentoo install...you can usually resume from where you left off), and make sure everything checks out on your hard-drive (mount /dev/hda4 /mnt/gentoo, or whatever).

Then, restart the installation from where you installed and configured yaboot. Also - I would recommend NOT editing the yaboot.conf file after runnnig yabootconfig, if you can avoid it. Make sure that the linux partition boots correctly before trying to add in any dual-boot features.

P.S.- whenever I rebooted when I had booted off of the gentoo LiveCD, I got an error about umounting LMV Volumes - and my install works just fine).

Athlon XP-Mobile Barton 2600+ @ 200x12.5
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe. rev 2.0
1GB OCZ Performance PC3200 RAM
Sapphire X1650 Pro 256MB GDDR3
2x120GB Seagate 7200.1 IDE Drives
1x320GB Seagate SATA Drive
n2kra
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:26 am    Post subject: shared /usr & /var/tmp - /portage ? Open Darwin ? Reply with quote

When you get that far, and if you want portage OS/X, how to share (like NFS) ?

? ext2fsmanager ?

---

and has anyone figured how to .dmg on OpenDarwin? to get portage going there?
Eldomir
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not looking at the handbook right now, but the first time I screwed up the PPC install it was because I only did ybin -v, and NOT mkofboot (which is only needed the first time, not when you update yaboot later on). Did you do that too?
TDave
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm not looking at the handbook right now, but the first time I screwed up the PPC install it was because I only did ybin -v, and NOT mkofboot (which is only needed the first time, not when you update yaboot later on). Did you do that too?

No, I didn't do that. Damn.

To give a brief update though, I ran round 4 and I think I came out slightly better on performance, I think...ie my MacOSX partition still works from the bootloader.

However, still encountered errors with Gentoo part.

I shall try the suggestions here in round 5 today. Just to be sure, mkofboot needs to be done just before ybin -v - correct?

Thanks for your help

Dave
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: