Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Stage 1/3 Installation Support - Gentoo 2004.3 & GCC 343
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
powderific
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentium-M support appears to have been added between stable gcc and gcc3.4, thanks for pointing me in the right direction
kamisama
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished this install method with complete success a little over a week ago as far as I remember, just had to come back and share the success I "definately" could not have with you.

Kimchi_sg

You will be shocked to hear that not only did I complete this installation method using genkernel, but my system runs great. And I did run into that perl bug stopping emerge -e system from completing. And somehow, even though I don't compile my own kernel, I manage to fix that without any trouble, manually editing the file which had references to previous kernel versions, commenting out 3 lines did the trick. After what you said about genkernel users being inept fixing that perl bug made me feel like a super genius.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruach wrote:
'm leaving for pycon tomorrow, but if you thought we might be able to get this working, and you thought that there would be a good performance advantage to using 3.4 and ntpl I would be willing to give it another shot. If you want I'd be willing to give you a logon so you (bob P) can see what is happening.

Let me know what you think

hmmm. there have been lots of reports of problems with the glibc-2.3.4.20050125-r1 ebuild. did you try compiling an older version of glibc as you had thought about doing? to do that, you could just make the glibc line in package.keywords look like this:
Code:
=sys-libs/glibc-2.3.4.20050125

that would force your system to use the version of glibc that is currently the penultimate version of glibc in the portage tree. its the equivalent of adding the current -r1 version to the masking file.

just a thought...

btw, if i were working on that box right now, i'd set the makeopts value to j3.
Timdog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have another problem. This time I did read through the thread and did a search to see if anything came up. I'm sorry for my previous post. :/

I'm at the part where you have to cd /usr/src/linux. When I do this it says that there is no such file or directory. However, if I do ls /usr/src/linux, it says it is there, and if I do mkdir /usr/src/linux, it says that the file already exists. Gentoo seems to be contradicting itself here, and I'm not sure what I should do.:?:
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timdog wrote:
I have another problem. This time I did read through the thread and did a search to see if anything came up. I'm sorry for my previous post. :/

I'm at the part where you have to cd /usr/src/linux. When I do this it says that there is no such file or directory. However, if I do ls /usr/src/linux, it says it is there, and if I do mkdir /usr/src/linux, it says that the file already exists. Gentoo seems to be contradicting itself here, and I'm not sure what I should do.:?:

What is the output of
Code:
ls -l /usr/src/linux
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamisama wrote:
After what you said about genkernel users being inept fixing that perl bug made me feel like a super genius.

Apparently, not enough of a "genius" to know your own hardware. Or simply to write down the output of lspci and lsmod and use these to make a kernel. :roll:

So the score is still kimchi_sg 1, kamisama 0 :D

Last edited by kimchi_sg on Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Timdog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimchi_sg wrote:
Timdog wrote:

What is the output of
Code:
ls -l /usr/src/linux

It's lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 Mar 20 22:53 /usr/src/linux -> linux-2.6.10-gentoo-r2
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timdog wrote:
kimchi_sg wrote:
What is the output of
Code:
ls -l /usr/src/linux

It's
Code:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 Mar 20 22:53 /usr/src/linux -> linux-2.6.10-gentoo-r2

You don't have an actual /usr/src/linux-2.6.10-gentoo-r2 directory.
Do an
Code:
ls -l /usr/src
and see what is the actual kernel source directory.

One of the lines in the output should look similar to the following (XX and Y are numbers).
Code:
drwxr-xr-x  19 root root 1248 Mar 21 09:00 linux-2.6.XX-gentoo-rY

Then based on the about output, remove the broken /usr/src/linux symlink and create a new one to the actual kernel directory that you have.
Code:
rm /usr/src/linux
ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.6.XX-gentoo-rY /usr/src/linux

Remember, XX and Y are to be replaced with the actual numbers based on the "ls" output.
Timdog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help, got it working. ;)
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimchi_sg wrote:
Apparently, not enough of a "genius" to know your own hardware. Or simply to write down the output of lspci and lsmod and use these to make a kernel. :roll:

ooh. use genkernel, get spanked. 8O
hielvc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As curtis119 would say "Harder Harder":lol:
IcEr3K
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I happen to encounter an error when rebuilding the system toolkit (step 7.2.4).
Code:

Swap cache: add 0, delete 0, find 0/0, race 0+0
Out of Memory: Killed process 2469 (cc1).
make[2]: *** Deleting file `/var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.4.20050125-r1/work/build-default-i686-pc-linux-gnu-nptl/iconvdata/iso-2022-cn-ext.os'
{standard input}: Assembler messages:
{standard input}:84968: Warning: end of file not at end of a line; newline inserted
{standard input}:86615: Error: suffix or operands invalud for `mov'
make[2]: *** [/var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.4.20050125-r1/work/build-default-i686-pc-linux-gnu-nptl/iconvdata/gb18030.os] Terminated
make[2]: *** [/var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.4.20050125-r1/work/build-default-i686-pc-linux-gnu-nptl/iconvdata/iso-2022-cn-ext.os] Terminated
make[1]: *** [iconvdata/others] Terminated
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.4.20050125-r1/work/glibc-2.3.4'
make: *** [all] Error 2

This is the second time i've tried to compile glibc.
Please let me know if you guys need any additional information.
hielvc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post the output of
Code:
 df -h            <and>
free

Timdog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly do the dnsdomainname and nis.domainname settings do? Also, what does the hostname do? I semi understand that the hostname is what the comp will appear as on the network. I have a router with DHCP, and I can ping google.com, I'm just wondering why I have to set the dnsdomainname when I already have set my DNS servers in the resolv.conf file? Should I even worry about setting these?
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
kimchi_sg wrote:

ooh. use genkernel, get spanked. 8O

Come on... here we just need to write the output of a command on a piece of paper then read it back when doing the kernel config. :lol:

Last edited by kimchi_sg on Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:23 am; edited 1 time in total
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timdog wrote:
What exactly do the dnsdomainname and nis.domainname settings do? Also, what does the hostname do? I semi understand that the hostname is what the comp will appear as on the network. I have a router with DHCP, and I can ping google.com, I'm just wondering why I have to set the dnsdomainname when I already have set my DNS servers in the resolv.conf file? Should I even worry about setting these?

Actually, you can skip the dns and nis domain name setup. Not the hostname though.

But if your ISP does not assign you a domain name via DNS, it will be set to something ugly like "localdomain", which is the reason you should set one. NIS domain name is purely unnecessary if you do not know what NIS is. ;)
curtis119
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Toledo, Ohio,USA, North America, Earth, SOL System, Milky Way, The Universe, The Cosmos, and Beyond.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hielvc wrote:
As curtis119 would say "Harder Harder":lol:

:wink:

@Bob P, Now Bob we both know that genkernel isn't that bad.

Ok, well it is bad but still.... :arrow:
kamisama
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So the score is still kimchi_sg 1, kamisama 0

I didn't know we were keeping score.

And if we are I'm curious as to how I'm the one with the working gentoo system you said I would "Definately" never have.

"Go back to the standard installation handbook"

If thats what gentoo users have to say to people to score points than I'd rather not score any.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/* yawn */
torchZ06
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] Reply with quote

ok, i was going for my 3rd successful 1-on-3 when something went bad... the first emerge of gcc 3.4 (step 7.1) failed. here is the error:
Code:

/var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.4.3.20050110-r1/work/gcc-3.4.3/gcc/libgcc2.c: In function `__ashrdi3':
/var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.4.3.20050110-r1/work/gcc-3.4.3/gcc/libgcc2.c:485: internal compiler error: Illegal instruction
Please submit a full bug report,
with preprocessed source if appropriate.
See <URL:http://bugs.gentoo.org/> for instructions.
Preprocessed source stored into /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.4.3.20050110-r1/temp/ccflgCEi.out file, please attach this to your
bugreport.
make[3]: *** [libgcc/./_ashrdi3.o] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.4.3.20050110-r1/work/build/gcc'
make[2]: *** [libgcc.a] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.4.3.20050110-r1/work/build/gcc'
make[1]: *** [stageprofile_build] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.4.3.20050110-r1/work/build/gcc'
make: *** [profiledbootstrap] Error 2

!!! ERROR: sys-devel/gcc-3.4.3.20050110-r1 failed.
!!! Function gcc_do_make, Line 1165, Exitcode 2
!!! make failed with profiledbootstrap
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status message.

the only thing different this time is i'm building this on a P4 but targeting a via 586 class chip (with mmx and 3dnow) and i guess that could be the cause since a P4 does not support 3dnow but rather sse. only reason i didn't immediately suspect that was it compiled linux26-headers, gcc-config, glibc and binutils just fine before it blew up doing gcc itself.

here are more details:
Code:
livecd / # cat /etc/make.conf                                                                                             
# ppk 3/21/05                                                                                                             
# machine: advantech 9575                                                                                                 
# from stage1-on-3 with robmoss's CFLAGS                                                                                 

CHOST="i586-pc-linux-gnu"                                                                                                 
# gcc 3.4.x cflags                                                                                                       
#CFLAGS="-Os -march=c3 -ftracer -pipe"                                                                                   
#CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -fvisibility-inlines-hidden"                                                                         
# gcc 3.3.x                                                                                                               
CFLAGS="-Os -march=c3 -pipe"                                                                                             
CXXFLAGS=${CFLAGS}                                                                                                       
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"                                                                                                     
PORTAGE_TMPDIR=/var/tmp                                                                                                   
PORTDIR=/usr/portage                                                                                                     
DISTDIR=${PORTDIR}/distfiles                                                                                             
PKGDIR=${PORTDIR}/packages                                                                                               
PORT_LOGDIR=/var/log/portage                                                                                             
PORTDIR_OVERLAY=/usr/local/portage                                                                                       
GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://ftp.ussg.iu.edu/linux/gentoo http://gentoo.osuosl.org http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo"                                                                                                                 
SYNC="rsync://desiderata/gentoo-portage"
RSYNC_RETRIES="3"
RSYNC_TIMEOUT=180
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PORTAGE_NICENESS=3
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
FEATURES="sandbox ccache distlocks"
CCACHE_SIZE="512M"
RSYNC_EXCLUDEFROM=/etc/portage/rsync_excludes
USE="-gnome -kde 3dnow alsa acpi ithreads mmx nptl pam pthreads python readline ssl tcpd"

Code:

livecd / # emerge info                                                                                                   
Portage 2.0.51-r2 (default-linux/x86/2004.3, gcc-3.3.4, glibc-2.3.4.20050125-r1, 2.6.9-gentoo-r1 i686)                   
=================================================================                                                         
System uname: 2.6.9-gentoo-r1 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.80GHz                                                     
Gentoo Base System version 1.4.16                                                                                         
Autoconf: sys-devel/autoconf-2.59-r5                                                                                     
Automake: sys-devel/automake-1.8.5-r1                                                                                     
Binutils: sys-devel/binutils-2.15.92.0.2-r1                                                                               
Headers:  sys-kernel/linux26-headers-2.6.8.1-r2                                                                           
Libtools: sys-devel/libtool-1.5.2-r5                                                                                     
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"                                                                                                     
AUTOCLEAN="yes"                                                                                                           
CFLAGS="-Os -march=c3 -pipe"                                                                                             
CHOST="i586-pc-linux-gnu"                                                                                                 
COMPILER=""                                                                                                               
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/kde/2/share/config /usr/kde/3/share/config /usr/share/config /var/qmail/control"               
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/gconf /etc/terminfo /etc/env.d"                                                                 
CXXFLAGS="-Os -march=c3 -pipe"                                                                                           
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"                                                                                         
FEATURES="autoaddcvs autoconfig ccache distlocks sandbox sfperms"                                                         
GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://ftp.ussg.iu.edu/linux/gentoo http://gentoo.osuosl.org http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions
/gentoo"                                                                                                                 
MAKEOPTS="-j2"                                                                                                           
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"                                                                                           
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"                                                                                                 
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"                                                                                                   
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage"                                                                                     
SYNC="rsync://desiderata/gentoo-portage"                                                                                 
USE="x86 3dnow X acpi alsa apm arts avi berkdb bitmap-fonts crypt cups emboss encode font-server foomaticdb fortran gdbm g
if gpm gtk gtk2 imlib ipv6 ithreads jpeg libg++ libwww mad mikmod mmx motif mp3 mpeg ncurses nls nptl oggvorbis opengl oss
 pam pdflib perl png pthreads python qt quicktime readline sdl spell ssl svga tcpd truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts xml
2 xmms xv zlib"   

i'm going to try doing the install on the target machine itself to see if it makes any difference, but it might take awhile as its a 800MHz via ezra.

btw my other 1-on-3s are working great and fast as hell!

[SOLVED]
OK, i tried doing the install on the actual machine instead of a compile-surrogate P4 and it worked fine.... started it last night and now its successfully completed step 7.1! took a lot longer, but it worked.

Last edited by torchZ06 on Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

torchZ06 wrote:
ok, i was going for my 3rd successful 1-on-3 when something went bad... the first emerge of gcc 3.4 (step 7.1) failed. here is the error:
Code:
internal compiler error:

the only thing different this time is i'm building this on a P4 but targeting a via 586 class chip (with mmx and 3dnow) and i guess that could be the cause since a P4 does not support 3dnow but rather sse.

building on one machine for a totally different architecture isn't covered in the guide, so i'm going to have to give you an answer of "unsupported." actually, this flag is so wildly deviant from the Guide that i should give you a penalty flag on this one. :wink:

your flags are wrong if that's what you're trying to accomplish. this question really deserves its own thread.
hielvc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im on a 899 via c3 samuel 2 right and if you figure out make this as snapy as my athlon-xp 2000 Id be real happy :)

And as to tit for tat " sticks and stones may brake my bones but words will never hurt me cuz I cant read :!: or ninnnnner ninnner
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hielvc wrote:
Im on a 899 via c3 samuel 2 right and if you figure out make this as snapy as my athlon-xp 2000 Id be real happy :)

And as to tit for tat " sticks and stones may brake my bones but words will never hurt me cuz I cant read :!: or ninnnnner ninnner

"HIEL, BACK AWAY SLOWLY FROM THE KEYBOARD!"
IcEr3K
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if the entry to the one below my previous one is in reply to mine or not, but df -h gives me:
Code:
df: cannot read table of mounted filesystems: No such file or directory

as for free, it tells me that my total memory is 126016, with 51032 used, and 74984 free. 0 is shared, 17744 is buffers, and 19248 is cached.
the -/+ buffers/cache has 14040 used and 111976 free.
0 for all on swap.

so i got through the initial emerging of glibc by removing some cflags in my make.conf.

but, it happens again, and i get the exact same error message about being out of memory or something.
note that this is a pentium 3 laptop with 128MB of ram. i know, its not much, but i didn't think i would need that much.
this will be the third time that i will emerge -e system, and this time i will get the exact error message.[/code]
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IcEr3K wrote:
df -h gives me:
Code:

@Bob P:

Please, please include the cp /proc/mounts /etc/mtab step from the standard Installation Handbook into your tutorial. It is the cause of the silly error message quoted above.
Code:
# mv /etc/mtab /etc/mtab.bak
# df
# mv /etc/mtab.bak /etc/mtab
# df
Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda2             39149200   3819160  35330040  10% /
udev                    452696       532    452164   1% /dev
none                    452696         0    452696   0% /dev/shm

In summary, the arguments FOR and AGAINST including this step are:

Arguments FOR including "cp /proc/mtab /etc/fstab":
  1. It is in the original Gentoo Installation Handbook.
  2. It prevents possible boot errors on some SATA, SCSI and maybe even IDE drives.
  3. It prevents annoying "Can't create lock file /etc/mtab~623" error messages from being shown when booting on ALL systems.
  4. It prevents df from bombing out with the error message quoted above.

Arguments AGAINST including said command:
  1. We want to be as different from the original Gentoo Installation Handbook as possible. Hopefully Sven Vermuellen will notice us and incorporate this into the Alternative Installation HOWTO.
  2. We want all those silly people running SATA drives not to be able to boot when following this tutorial. The tutorial is written based on a Pentium classic with IDE drives after all. Who told these chaps to burn themselves trying the latest and greatest unsupported hardware?
  3. We love scaring n00bs with scary-looking "Can't create lock file" messages. This is an advanced installation tutorial after all, so those n00bs better keep their hands off.
  4. We want people to stop checking the free space on their mounted filesystems using df. In order for linux to look like a typical powerful OS straight from the '70s, all users must use a calculator to sum up the total size of each and every file, then deduct this from the size of the filesystem to get the free space on each one.

Have I driven my point across? :P
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 8 of 12

Jump to: