Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
wolfenstein doesnt get focus - fakey-window mode?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tba
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 6:59 am    Post subject: wolfenstein doesnt get focus - fakey-window mode? Reply with quote

when i run wolfenstein (though not quake3) it appears to open normally, but in fact its only occupying the upper left portion of my desktops which can be accessed by moving the mouse to the extremeties of the screen.

in other words its like when you ctrl+alt+ - your desktop to a resolution where you can only see part of the screen and use youre mouse to slide around. but it doesnt get the focus so the mouse doesnt actually open the "setup" menu for instance. wolfenstiens mouse just sits at the top left of the window dead. the sound and intro graphics work i just cant use it.

incidentally, when x starts up the kdm or gdm screen also starts in 640x480 slidey mode but thankfully i can use it :)

ive been readng the faqs but they dont help.

thanks in advance
mb
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is rtcw running in fullscreen mode ?? there should be a checkbox somewhere in graphic settings.....

#mb
tba
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 7:49 am    Post subject: fullscreen Reply with quote

w/ the radeon i always had it set it fullwindow mode and it would do this only every now and then (always when running it from an icon/quick launcher, sometimes from bash). now i installed the nvidia card, and i can only assume its in fullwindow mode (can linux do a non-full window of quake/wolfenstien?). the problem is the mouse cursor,being kde's and not wolfenstein's, wont open up the setup menu in wolfenstien anyway. or do anything else. i have to kill it with ctrl+c
mb
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yepp... non-fullscreen is possible with some openGL cards (e.g. nvidia)....

check ~/.wolf/main/config.cfg and search for seta r_fullscreen "1" (should be 1 for fullscreen)

#mb
tba
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 8:49 am    Post subject: fullscreen Reply with quote

i checked and it is...

i also noticed that if i run a straight-up xserver and a xterm i can run it fine. This leads me to believe the problem is with kwindow manager or something kde related
T2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geforce (and banshee I had before) can render opengl windowed, but this depends on opengl drivers,(emerge nvidia-kernel & nvidia-glx) you probably can't do such things in m$win. Sometimes I play windowed and while "waiting for reinforcement" quickly jump to icq client ;)
Just make sure you are using window manager that doesn't eat you all your precious ram. I'd keep away from kde, wolfenstain needs all memory you have and more. Some maps are really huge(and realistic I must say) Currently I'm using windowmaker but I also recommend fluxbox, icewm and similar.
have fun
T2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, yeah, a while ago I was using special quake3 session, that would just run Xserver and q3 client. But again I had k6-200 and now I have TB900@980 so I don't bother anymore.
mb
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@T2

do you have a script / binding for switching between full/window mode ??

#mb
T2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mb wrote:
do you have a script / binding for switching between full/window mode ??b

hm, no, I use system menu, but you may try vid_restart after setting fulscreen/windowed variable, I'm sure it would work.
tba
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 3:18 am    Post subject: re: wolfesntein Reply with quote

sorry its taking so long to reply but i was at work all day.
T2,
i can play in windowed mode in windoze by hitting alt-enter or ctrl-escape or by setting it to 960x720. The wolfmp-config file shows that it is set to full screen and it does open to a full screen, but wolfenstein's mouse just sits in the topleft, and kde's mouse slides me around to the rest of the desktop.
the problem is kde's mouse wont interact with the wolfenstein window and i cant play.
T2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tba:I've read your first post again and I think I know what's your problem. Somehow you have virtual mode enabled, that the one where you have larger desktop than your screen and you scrool to other edges with mouse. You might check your XF86Config file to disable anything "virtual". Check also that your primary resolution isn't 640x480. If you have this case
Modes "640x480" "800x600" "1024x768"
then you'll have 640x480 resolution, but virtual desktop will be 1024x768. Try with
Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
ie with your favorite resolution at the beginning of modes line.
Tell me if it helps.
tba
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 9:31 pm    Post subject: update <<Mouse doesnt work in WOlfenstein?? Reply with quote

i've messed around with the seta r_fullscrean option in the cfg file and set it to run in a window mode on startup.

i now think a better title for thread would be "mouse doesn't work in wolfenstein." once again it opens normally (now, in a window), however now i have some keyboard support which is broken at best and cant get to the point of actually playing the game.

I could never get a window mode with my old VooDoo 3, and wrongly assumed linux couldnt run it in window mode. Im glad to see it can, cuz linux quake 3 used to be too much commitment :)

i took your advice about screwing w/ my XF86Config, and now i startup in 1280x1024 instead of 640x480 so thats a small victory :). I couldn't however find anything about virtual desktop, which i kinda though might have something to do with it.

this only happens in kde, but not using kde is not really an option, at least until E17.
T2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then this is probably kde's wm problem. You'll just have to switch to another one while playing wolf.
tba
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 8:15 pm    Post subject: fluxbox Reply with quote

it doesntr work in fluxbox either... now that i know what im doing im goiong to simply re-install gentoo. im sure i did something wrong the first time.. alot of things dont work quite right

should i backup my homedir and copy it over my new home dir when im done?
T2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you do that and also etc. If you get blank screen after copying wolfenstein dir just update from 1.32 runscript and try deleting your .wolf dir

You can fetch&build&install new gentoo from your current gentoo, as long as you have say 2GB empty partition. If you need any help just ask.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: