Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
2.6.11.5-vividserv1: We do it on a server!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
predatorfreak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:39 am    Post subject: 2.6.11.5-vividserv1: We do it on a server! Reply with quote

Yo folks, as promised, here's 2.6.11.5-vividserv1. Release notes/patchlist/diff link follows.

/* 2.6.11.5-vividserv1
* Release created by: predatorfreak
* Comments: This is my first vivid server release, I tried to make sure I nailed most major bugs.
* Please test it out and report back. Also, on why I didn't include a custom CPU scheduler, theres
* no need to because O(1) works perfectly for server useage. Apply OVER 2.6.11, not 2.6.11.5
* Highlights: Lots of clean ups and bug fixes, more hardware drivers and some other things.
*/

patch-2.6.11.5.gz | 2.6.11.5
2.6.11-kj.patch.gz | Kernel janitors patchset, lots of code clean ups
sk98lin_v7.09_2.6.11_patch | SK98Lin updates, Improved hardware support and some bug fixes mostly
bk-scsi.patch | SCSI code updates, mostly bug fixes
bk-audit.patch | Some clean ups and fixes
bk-ide-dev.patch | IDE code updates, again mostly bug fixes
bk-ntfs.patch | NTFS code updates, more bug fixes
cant-unmount-bad-inode.patch | Fix bugs where bad inodes prevent unmounting
blockdev-mnt-racefix.diff | Some blockdev race fixes which caused mount/unmount problems
clean-up-and-unify-asm-resourceh-files.patch | Clean ups to the ASM resource headers
execshield.diff | execsheild-nx for enhenced security
copy_pte_range-latency-fix.patch | Some latency fixes
fbdev-cleanup-and-fix.diff | FBDEV clean ups and fixes
mm-fixes.diff | Fixs for some files in mm/ (mostly taken from -mm)
genetic-lib-2.6.10-gl4.patch | Genetic library 0.4
genetic-as-sched-2.6.10-gl4.patch | Genetic AS IO scheduler (0.4)
genetic-io-sched-2.6.10-gl4.patch | Genetic IO scheduler base patches (0.4)
oom-vm-changes.diff | Changes to OOM/VM related things (Mostly taken from -mm)
oops-fix.diff | Some oops fixes from -mm
irqpoll.patch | Fixs some IRQ problems
openbsd-netrand.diff | OpenBSD Style TCP ISN Randomization (default == good && openbsd-netrand == better)
properly-share-process-and-session-keyrings-with-clone_thread.patch | More fixes from -mm
readahead-cleanups.diff | Some clean ups from -mm
run-softirqs-on-proper-processor-on-offline.patch | Again, fixes from -mm
vmlinux-fix-physical-addrs-all.diff | hmm, this is becoming too common, more fixes from -mm
smpbootc-cleanups.patch | Some clean ups from -mm
swapspace-layout-improvements.patch | Swap Space layout improvements
sys_setpriority-euid-semantics-fix.patch | -mm fixes
tty-output-lossage-fix.patch | -mm fixes again...

diif link: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/vivid-sources/patch-2.6.11.5-vividserv1.diff.bz2?download

Ok, fixed up the posting problems.

Edit: the bk-ntfs included is at least 3 weeks old, so it is not effected by the recent problems in bk-ntfs.
fallow
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, we have officially new release uploaded to sf.net ? hmm is good to know.

so if I must post here directly about it then I can do this.

server(s) = small home / lan servers etc. ;)

* mm fixes for the server ? not so good idea for me
* bk-drivers is also not good idea for servers imho
* a clean up patches ...
* for genetic anticipatory is required J.Moilanen`s usb-oops-deplug.stuff fix . I don't see it here .. ? -> http://vivid.dat.pl/fallow/pub/love-sources/2.6.11-love2/2.6.11-love2-usb-oops-fix1.diff

for me server edition SHOULD avoid mm/unstable/untested patches , gives stability and only really needed stuff.

and grsec/rsbac/qnet or ohter features ?

cheers.
"Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived" J-L. Picard ;)
predatorfreak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fallow wrote:
hmm, we have officially new release uploaded to sf.net ? hmm is good to know.

so if I must post here directly about it then I can do this.

server(s) = small home / lan servers etc. ;)

* mm fixes for the server ? not so good idea for me
* bk-drivers is also not good idea for servers imho
* a clean up patches ...
* for genetic anticipatory is required J.Moilanen`s usb-oops-deplug.stuff fix . I don't see it here .. ? -> http://vivid.dat.pl/fallow/pub/love-sources/2.6.11-love2/2.6.11-love2-usb-oops-fix1.diff

for me server edition SHOULD avoid mm/unstable/untested patches , gives stability and only really needed stuff.

and grsec/rsbac/qnet or ohter features ?

cheers.

Fallow, the changes I have from mm are perfectly stable with no noted side-effects (I've been testing them in dark-sources for awhile), on qnet that will come in due time, as for grsec I have execsheild-nx in there, which is better in my experiance then grsec, for RSBAC I'll check that out. I'll include the USB oops fix in the next release, keep in mind I just got home from vacation :).

Edit: Also, I'm going to remove the bk patches in the next release.
Edit 2: In the next release I'll also add the libata patch I've been using in dark-sources, I would consider it stable enough for production use because I have had no problems with it here........
fallow
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

predatorfreak wrote:

Fallow, the changes I have from mm are perfectly stable with no noted side-effects (I've been testing them in dark-sources for awhile)

If all will be stable and tested , then will be in vanilla not in mm .
predatorfreak wrote:

on qnet that will come in due time, as for grsec I have execsheild-nx in there, which is better in my experiance then grsec, for RSBAC I'll check that out.

www.grsecurity.net wrote:

* An intelligent and robust Role-Based Access Control (RBAC) system that can generate least privilege policies for your entire system with no configuration
* Change root (chroot) hardening
* /tmp race prevention
* Extensive auditing
* Prevention of entire classes of exploits related to address space bugs (from the PaX project)
* Additional randomness in the TCP/IP stack
* A restriction that allows a user to only view his/her processes
* Every security alert or audit contains the IP address of the person that caused the event

If You want to do a final release AS vivid-sources then please be in contact with me.
Is not so easy to have project with other poeple . Look at sf.net/projects/vivid-sources . There not only me in vivid-sources. It requires a compromises etc. If You want to release a something without even final talking with others - You can`t release it as our project - vivid sources , You always can release it as dark-sources :P

cheers.
predatorfreak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fallow wrote:
predatorfreak wrote:

Fallow, the changes I have from mm are perfectly stable with no noted side-effects (I've been testing them in dark-sources for awhile)

If all will be stable and tested , then will be in vanilla not in mm .
predatorfreak wrote:

on qnet that will come in due time, as for grsec I have execsheild-nx in there, which is better in my experiance then grsec, for RSBAC I'll check that out.

www.grsecurity.net wrote:

* An intelligent and robust Role-Based Access Control (RBAC) system that can generate least privilege policies for your entire system with no configuration
* Change root (chroot) hardening
* /tmp race prevention
* Extensive auditing
* Prevention of entire classes of exploits related to address space bugs (from the PaX project)
* Additional randomness in the TCP/IP stack
* A restriction that allows a user to only view his/her processes
* Every security alert or audit contains the IP address of the person that caused the event

If You want to do a final release AS vivid-sources then please be in contact with me.
Is not so easy to have project with other poeple . Look at sf.net/projects/vivid-sources . There not only me in vivid-sources. It requires a compromises etc. If You want to release a something without even final talking with others - You can`t release it as our project - vivid sources , You always can release it as dark-sources :P

cheers.

I'm sorry If I caused any problems releasing this under vivid-sources project on sourceforge, but as I understood it when I started on this project I had full freedom to create the patchset as I saw fit, if this has changed please tell me so that I may change vividserv to darkserv and release it under my darkpatches project.
fallow
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

predatorfreak wrote:
I'm sorry If I caused any problems releasing this under vivid-sources project on sourceforge, but as I understood it when I started on this project I had full freedom to create the patchset as I saw fit, if this has changed please tell me so that I may change vividserv to darkserv and release it under my darkpatches project.

No reason to changing existing release into other sources . But If You want to do it fell free ;)
Yes of course You have free hand , but I expect a minimum before final release - consulting with the other members before , if You want to have ONLY your idea in all project - You have own dark-sources.
I also doing a love-sources but we are consulting overall priorities etc.

cheers.
predatorfreak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fallow wrote:
predatorfreak wrote:

No reason to changing existing release into other sources . But If You want to do it fell free ;)
Yes of course You have free hand , but I expect a minimum before final release - consulting with the other members before , if You want to have ONLY your idea in all project - You have own dark-sources.
I also doing a love-sources but we are consulting overall priorities etc.

cheers.

As I've told you before fallow, I'll consult you and troll from now on before I release a vividserv release (else I'll call the unconsulted release a darkserv release :).

Edit: also, as I've stated before, I'm sorry about my quick actions and not consulting you first.
Edit 2: I'm off to bed since I've been up all night.
PLum
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okey nice work,
but one question - why there is no imq patch included, in this release ?
and other stuff like account, and other patch-o-matic futures
i know i can always put them by my self - but it would be nice to got the almost all needed stuff in one place
predatorfreak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PLum wrote:
okey nice work,
but one question - why there is no imq patch included, in this release ?
and other stuff like account, and other patch-o-matic futures
i know i can always put them by my self - but it would be nice to got the almost all needed stuff in one place

This was a quickie release, After I consult fallow on the next release (Which is likely to include qnet, lids (NOT GRSEC) and other things.), I will release that version.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: