Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Newbie (sorry) with No Such File or Directory Errors . . .
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank.Rizzo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:55 am    Post subject: Newbie (sorry) with No Such File or Directory Errors . . . Reply with quote

Hello,

I am installing Linux for the first time and downloaded a SPARC LiveCD that I used to begin installation on a Sun Ultra 60 machine. I was following the Gentoo Linux Documentation and actually made it all of the way to the beginning of Chapter 7 before I started having problems:

1) When asked to enter # "ls /usr/share/zoneinfo" to set the time, I got the message "no such file or directory" and now when I type "time" I get "bash: syntax error near unexpected token 'newline' "

Because I really wanted to finish this installation, I ignored this error and tried to start installing the sources in order to build the kernel.

2) I used the command "emerge sparc-sources" and it looked like a script was running. As suggested, upon completion, I typed "ls -l /usr/src/linux" and got the error "no such user directory" again.

Could someone please let me know what I am doing wrong?

Thanks!
egberts
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you misread the installation steps, perhaps skipping from Stage1 to Stage3....

Or
# emerge world
Frank.Rizzo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

egberts wrote:
Sounds like you misread the installation steps, perhaps skipping from Stage1 to Stage3....

I used the command "tar -xvjpf /mnt/cdrom/stages/stage3-<subarch>-2004.3.tar.bz2" for a Stage3 installation from the LiveCD and was able to proceed all the way through the installation procedures, including extracting the tarball, downloading the latest portage snapshot, unpacking the portage snapshot, and updating the portage tree sucessfully before I got stuck . . . does that make sense?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: