View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cytux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: too long Reply with quote

stormer wrote:
Could you juste put importent stuff next time, that's not cool.

Hello,

shure. I thought you might copy and paste the .config all together, if you'd like. Sorry.

Regards
stormer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject: Missing funtionality Reply with quote

This coul be usefull if we could attach small files to our post. Though, have you say this config works or not ? Xorg do not detect my card. That's the worst ever, I wrote a patch, other use it and it works for them but not for me. Nightmare !

I try agpgart and i915 as module, in kernel and both time Xorg did not detect my card as an i810. For kernel part agpgard detect it properly and loading i915 automaticly load drm modules, which normaly mean that it is working. Where can I get more debugging output ? We got a Linux Install Fest in Sherbrooke University this Saturday, and it would be nice if I can make this card works. Lot's of new laptop come with that sort of card, and I don't like to install vesa driver to newbee since they can't even play tuxracer.

Thanks for any help!

p.s. I'm starting to consider a difference between Celeron board and Pentium M board for Inspiron 6000.
Klavs
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've put up my kernel config here: http://vsen.dk/delli6000

Klavs Klavsen
Denmark

Working with Unix is like wrestling a worthy opponent.
Working with windows is like attacking a small whining child
who is carrying a .38.
stormer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Sound Reply with quote

For sound, I use alsa with the snd_intel8x0 module. With correct modification of /etc/modules.d/alsa, every thing works great. Note that this card has only one channel, so it has to be combine with esd or artsd.
stormer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Fan control Reply with quote

Last night I tried i8k for fan control. Compile it in kernel, emerge i8k-tools, then try i8kctl fans - 0 to stop fan, i8kctl - 1 for half speed and i8kctl fan - 2 fo full speed. The symbole - is use because i8k was build for a two fan laptop.
Parabola
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need X.org from CVS for i915GM support.

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2617

I'm personally waiting for 6.8.3 (or whenever the patch is included in the ebuild) to give this a try again.

On the plus side, I got power management, fan control, sound, wireless (a/b/g card), etc all working. My only remaining issues were getting X working with the i810 driver, bluetooth and sleep states. Oh and my screen would never come back after shutting the lid and reopening it.
Sejam
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Still not working Reply with quote

I've tried using the kernel config that was presented earlier and also the xorg.conf. I can get X to work with the vesa driver, but I have no luck with the i810 driver.

I'm using xorg 6.8.2-r1 and kernel linux-2.6.11-gentoo-r2. Just says it can't find hardware for the 810 driver. Anybody else have an idea?
stormer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:56 am    Post subject: I'll wait too Reply with quote

I'm sur there is a board difference between Pentium M and Celeron. I'll wait for 6.8.3 too, I've pass enough time on this for now. But, I'll possibly give a try to Suse Xorg sources and patches i I have time.

For backlight I have the same trouble, switching to a TTY solve the problem if I'm not using FbDev in X. I'm searching for a tool to reset the card. Then, we could call it from acpid.
cytux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing funtionality Reply with quote

stormer wrote:
This coul be usefull if we could attach small files to our post. Though, have you say this config works or not ?

My .config leads to recognition of the Graphics card in lspci (as you can see in my posting). In Xorg part of it is recognized, part of it (video-bios) not. but it runs in Vesa Mode @1600x1200 pixels. The only thing that don't work ist DRI, because the native driver isn't working.

Quote:

I try agpgart and i915 as module, in kernel and both time Xorg did not detect my card as an i810. For kernel part agpgard detect it properly and loading i915 automaticly load drm modules, which normaly mean that it is working.

Are you shure to load the right kernel and modules at startup? Vesa isn't great, but better than textmode only. In the Xorg 6.8.2 the native driver isn't included, as stated in the changelog. In CVS it is included, but Xorg -configure don't work here.

Quote:

Thanks for any help!

Welcome! Thanks too!

Quote:

p.s. I'm starting to consider a difference between Celeron board and Pentium M board for Inspiron 6000.

Hmm, I suppose there mustn't be a difference to detect the card by the kernel. The bios (A3) seems also to be the same. The chipset is the same. But - well, I suppose, Dell sells different video cards for Pentium M or Celeron at their website.
Parabola
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing funtionality Reply with quote

cytux wrote:

Hmm, I suppose there mustn't be a difference to detect the card by the kernel. The bios (A3) seems also to be the same. The chipset is the same. But - well, I suppose, Dell sells different video cards for Pentium M or Celeron at their website.

My understanding is that there are no differences between the Celeron and the Pentium M motherboards. However, there are differences in motherboards between the 6000 and the 6000d.
Daredevil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta say thanks guys. That's answered my questions about my laptop too, a Toshiba A80, which has the same chipset. Guess we'll just have to wait for 6.8.3 and then try again.
And show us the passage of time.
We're gonna need a montage.
stormer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:18 am    Post subject: It need to have difference Reply with quote

The motherboard cannot be the same. Celeron board have a 400 Mhz bus, and Pentium M (1.6 GHz) use 533 MHz bus. There probably is a small register difference, just enough to make autodetection fails on my version.
Parabola
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: It need to have difference Reply with quote

stormer wrote:
The motherboard cannot be the same. Celeron board have a 400 Mhz bus, and Pentium M (1.6 GHz) use 533 MHz bus. There probably is a small register difference, just enough to make autodetection fails on my version.

Actually, motherboards can easily run at multiple FSB speeds. In fact, most motherboards available can run 400, 533, or even 800MHz front sides (for desktop pentium architectures). Why would laptop boards be any different?

Anyway, I just checked and they are the same. the 6000d is indeed the only i6000 with a different motherboard.
stormer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Check on Intel site Reply with quote

On intel site, there are two boards, one fo celeron UP TO 400 Mhs FSB, and one for Pentium M UP TO 533 Mhz. This mean, the board is NOT exactly the same. I did not mean that this is why it works on Celeron and not on Pentium M, but it is probably the cause. We should all check our bios version to see if Dell wrote diffenrent Bios for these to Inspiron 6000 (note inspiron 6000d comes after I bout mine, new Inspiron 6000 is a downgrade of mine, which is nearer Inpriron 6000d but whithout the ati video card)
Parabola
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Check on Intel site Reply with quote

stormer wrote:
On intel site, there are two boards, one fo celeron UP TO 400 Mhs FSB, and one for Pentium M UP TO 533 Mhz. This mean, the board is NOT exactly the same. I did not mean that this is why it works on Celeron and not on Pentium M, but it is probably the cause. We should all check our bios version to see if Dell wrote diffenrent Bios for these to Inspiron 6000 (note inspiron 6000d comes after I bout mine, new Inspiron 6000 is a downgrade of mine, which is nearer Inpriron 6000d but whithout the ati video card)

I don't know what you are talking about. First off, where do you get the idea that Intel makes the motherboards for Dell's Inspiron 6000? Second, it doesn't appear that Intel makes notebook motherboards at all; at least I can't find them on their website. Third, the i915GM chipset supports both the Celeron and Pentium M processors, per their website, so that can't be what you are talking about. Fourth, the motherboard part numbers for the Celeron and Pentium M systems are the same but different for the I6000d. What do you read from that?

But hey, believe whatever you want.

As for your other question, the BIOS is the same for the I6000 Celeron, the I6000 Pentium M, and the I6000d, per Dell's website.
stormer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Your almost right Reply with quote

Ok, you are right that they don't do board, but they make chipset, and they specify which max speed is to given by which chips set.
http://www.intel.com/products/notebook/chipsets/index.htm

In regard to Dell spec, i6k with Celeron have a 400MHz max front bus, this is given by 915GMS chipset. Pentium M with a least 1.6 Ghz, come with 915GM chipset.

So, you are right that it is the same video chip, but not the same PCI Express controler (This technologie is use in replacememt of AGP I think).

Now, try to build one board with two set of Chipset, and show me the price !

p.s. This is a possibly the reason why it works for one and not for other, I did not mean it is the reason.

Last edited by stormer on Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
stormer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Other Reply with quote

An other remark, even if there is one driver for 915* / 910, there still is switch case for each card in kernel and xorg drivers....
stormer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: About i8k Reply with quote

i8k did not load whitout i8k.force as kernel parameter. Here is the output :

Code:
i8k: not running on a Dell system
i8k: vendor=Dell Inc., model=Inspiron 6000, version=A03
i8k: unable to get SMM Dell signature
i8k: unable to get SMM BIOS version

Parabola
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Your almost right Reply with quote

stormer wrote:
Ok, you are right that they don't do board, but they make chipset, and they specify which max speed is to given by which chips set.
http://www.intel.com/products/notebook/chipsets/index.htm

In regard to Dell spec, i6k with Celeron have a 400MHz max front bus, this is given by 915GMS chipset. Pentium M with a least 1.6 Ghz, come with 915GM chipset.

But what I'm saying is that the 915GM chipset is used in BOTH. Look here and you will see that the 915GM supports BOTH 533 and 400 and the GMS supports ONLY 400. That means that they are using the 915GM chipset for BOTH the Celeron and the Pentium M versions (hence, the same motherboard) and the chipset is capable of running at either 400 or 533 FSB speeds.

You'll also notice that the GMS chipset doesn't support Dual Channel DDR2, but the GM does. Dell's website states that the I6000's support Dual Channel DDR2. See here. This clearly shows they are not using the GMS chipset.

Quote:
So, you are right that it is the same video chip, but not the same PCI Express controler (This technologie is use in replacememt of AGP I think).

Now, try to build one board with two set of Chipset, and show me the price !

p.s. This is a possibly the reason why it works for one and not for other, I did not mean it is the reason.

For the GM, GMS, and GML, there is no 'video chip'. It's integrated with the chipset. It's called the GMA 900. The GML version of the chipset doesn't have this feature and utilizes an external video chip. This is most likely the chipset used for the I6000d and one of the reasons that the motherboard for this system is different.

You have the Celeron version of the I6000? Do me a favor and do an 'lspci -vv' and post the output here.
stormer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject: You are right Reply with quote

YES, it is the same video card. I know that. I just wanted you to notice that it it not the same video controller.
stormer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Pentium M version of i6000 Reply with quote

I have the pentium M version of i6000 (not 6000d : ( ).

I think lst PCI should be the same, as it does not differentiate GM & GMS:
Code:
0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/PM/GMS/910GML Express Processor to DRAM Controller (rev 03)
0000:00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller (rev 03)
0000:00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller (rev 03)
0000:00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Crporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #1 (rev 03)
0000:00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #2 (rev 03)
0000:00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #3 (rev 03)
0000:00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #4 (rev 03)
0000:00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 03)
0000:00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev d3)
0000:00:1e.2 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 03)
0000:00:1e.3 Modem: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 03)
0000:00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801FBM (ICH6M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 03)
0000:00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801FBM (ICH6M) SATA Controller (rev 03)
0000:00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
0000:03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX (rev 02)
0000:03:01.0 CardBus bridge: Ricoh Co Ltd RL5c476 II (rev b3)
0000:03:01.1 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C552 IEEE 1394 Controller (rev 08)
0000:03:01.2 Class 0805: Ricoh Co Ltd: Unknown device 0822 (rev 17)
0000:03:03.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG (rev 05)

stormer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Question Reply with quote

A question for you, have you read first part of this post. Because I'm telling that cause one user has a working i915 videcard on kernel 2.6.11 and xorg 6.8.2, same has me. But not working for me. The only diffenrences between both is the CPU. If you have this card working, and you don't think it is because of diferrences, why don't you write a good howto that we can reproduce?

Cheers,
Parabola
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: Question Reply with quote

stormer wrote:
A question for you, have you read first part of this post. Because I'm telling that cause one user has a working i915 videcard on kernel 2.6.11 and xorg 6.8.2, same has me. But not working for me. The only diffenrences between both is the CPU. If you have this card working, and you don't think it is because of diferrences, why don't you write a good howto that we can reproduce?

Cheers,

No, I do not have it working. Well, I got VESA to work, of course, but that isn't what we are talking about.

So, one guy (klavs?) has this working and you and I don't. Here are the possibilities:

1. His motherboard is different than ours. If this is the case, it is because of a version difference. I know for a FACT that the part numbers on the motherboards for two recently purchased i6000's (one Celeron, one Pentium M) are the same. Part numbers don't lie. Maybe he has an A00 board and we have an A01 or some other and therein lies the difference, I don't know. Maybe he has an older BIOS than us and the new BIOSes break it. There are lots of possibilities here.

2. (For me) I've only tried 2.6.10, which doesn't have support for the i915GM. I should give this a shot now that 2.6.11 is out.

All this being said, you cannot ignore the fact that the X.org developers clearly state that the support for i915GM is not in 6.8.2. See here.

So honestly, I do not know why his works and ours doesn't. There are dozens of other reasons why his may work and ours doesn't. I'm merely stating that the Celeron and Pentium M motherboards are the same and that your reasoning regarding why the motherboards have to be different (FSB speed) is flawed.

I guess I'll see if I can try this again tonight with 2.6.11. I really wish I knew a timeline of when 6.8.3 was going to be released. I've got XP nicely setup currently and would hate to blow it away for nothing, but I guess at worst case I can run with the crappy VESA modes until 6.8.3 if I can't get it to work this evening.
stormer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:04 am    Post subject: Good Reply with quote

Good!
Klavs
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I'm sorry to see yours don't work :(

I'm currently working on getting ipw2200 working in adhoc-mode. Just got a patch today, which made it associate and actually send packages for up to half an hour -before dying on me. A big improvement :)
I'm also working on i8kutils.. wrote the author - as I can see the windows GPL code has support for Inspiron 6000 now.

Here's my info on the graphics card - and if you can tell me where I can find other info - pls. do :)
It's a Celeron 1.3 version (cheapest :)
0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/PM/GMS/910GML Express Processor to DRAM Controller (rev 03)
Subsystem: Dell: Unknown device 0188
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
Capabilities: [e0] #09 [2109]

0000:00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller (rev 03) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11
Memory at dff00000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
I/O ports at ec38 [size=8]
Memory at c0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
Memory at dfec0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256K]
Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 2

0000:00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller (rev 03)
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
Memory at dff80000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 2

and here it works beautifyll with i810 driver and # epm -qa | grep xorg
xorg-x11-6.8.2

ie. not -r1 - perhaps there's a diff?

Klavs Klavsen
Denmark

Working with Unix is like wrestling a worthy opponent.
Working with windows is like attacking a small whining child
who is carrying a .38.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 2 of 13

Jump to: