Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gentoo on a PB: a few questions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo for Mac OS X (Portage for Mac OS X)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiff
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Gentoo on a PB: a few questions Reply with quote

I am looking for a new laptop and since I've had a chance to work on my uncle's Powerbook, I'm hooked! I still have a couple of questions though.

- Is it possible to run Wine on OSX? My first guess would be a big no-no but I couldn't really find a clear answer on that.
- Do all linux apps work in OSX? Or do I have to make a dualboot setup to do that?
- Is all the hardware supported on the Powerbook? (I'm looking especially at the Airport Express now)

Furthermore is there someone here with a 15" powerbook? I was wondering how long the battery lasts (i've heard from 2 - 6h, but nothing to clear).

That's about all I can think of right now, thanks already!
petlab
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell us which PB you have.. is it a 540c? :lol:

I suggest getting the gentoo portage which installs under OSX. then you can just emerge all kinds of programs.

check gentoo-portage.com to see if a package is supported. I think pretty much everything will work for you.

Happy PowerBooking!
neon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo on a PB: a few questions Reply with quote

Kiff wrote:
- Is it possible to run Wine on OSX? My first guess would be a big no-no but I couldn't really find a clear answer on that.

http://darwine.opendarwin.org/

Kiff wrote:
- Do all linux apps work in OSX? Or do I have to make a dualboot setup to do that?

I'm pretty sure that everything that has to do with linux kernel will not work...

Kiff wrote:
- Is all the hardware supported on the Powerbook? (I'm looking especially at the Airport Express now)

If you use OSX your hardware will always be supported ;) (are you still asking about gentoo@osx, aren't you?)

LINEE GUIDA DEL FORUM
Kiff
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo on a PB: a few questions Reply with quote

neon wrote:
Kiff wrote:

http://darwine.opendarwin.org/

Seems to be nice, but it will have to use an emulator to run Windows apps (QEMU I guess), so heavy tasks won't be a real option.

neon wrote:
Kiff wrote:

If you use OSX your hardware will always be supported ;) (are you still asking about gentoo@osx, aren't you?)

You got me there.. :)
I meant on Gentoo for PPC (so dualboot environment), is all hardware supported then?

PS: thx! :)
Eldomir
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't own a powerbook and don't even know the model you are talking about, but I can tell you the Airport Extreme doesn't work so far under Linux (do a search anywhere, tons of stuff about it).
neon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo on a PB: a few questions Reply with quote

Kiff wrote:
I meant on Gentoo for PPC (so dualboot environment), is all hardware supported then?

I own a 12" pbook. The airport extreme is not supported, there is no hardware acceleration for the nvidia card and no sleep support (there's only screen poweroff support). All the rest works very well ;)

P.S. Radeon based pbooks can use opensource drivers for acceleration... oh and they have sleep support (thanks to benh)

LINEE GUIDA DEL FORUM
Yogh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1.25GHz 15" PB and my battery last for about 2h getting up to 3+ if I have the screen turned all the way down and am not running the CD drive or anything intense. I think Apple said that my battery was supposed to last for 5h, but that must be with a computer sitting unplugged and completely idle with the screen off. I have NEVER had a battery last nearly as long as the specs say on any of my powerbooks.

As far as windoze emulation under OS X by far the best option is to use Virtual PC, but that costs money. I haven't tried it really, but it only has the same RAM as OS X so if you have 512 you can only give 384 max to VPC. That means you can't do much of anything with OS X while running VPC and 384 isn't much as far as XP is concerned. I have a friend with a big external HD and what he did was have three different win drive images, a 98, a 2000, and an XP, and he runs 98 whenever possible because it requires so much less RAM. Anything graphics intensive is also pretty much out for emulation, but that's true for almost any emulator. My friend just uses VPC for engineering apps that aren't available for Mac.

Good luck
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo for Mac OS X (Portage for Mac OS X) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: