View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure you note all that you did somewhere. and then don't forget to post back here...:)
dlong500
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here is the rundown on what I have done so far to my Redhat 9 VPS.

1) I ran the script devsk posted at the beginning of this thread

2) I emerged m4, automake, autoconf and libtool (and a few of their dependencies)

3) I created symlinks to /dev/null in /var/lib/init.d/started/ for common services that Portage looks for when installing applications. These services are handled by Redhat, so we fool portage:
Code:
ln -s /dev/null checkfs
ln -s /dev/null checkroot
ln -s /dev/null clock
ln -s /dev/null hostname
ln -s /dev/null localmount
ln -s /dev/null modules

4) I emerged a whole bunch of other programs (see below for entire list of emerged apps so far)

5) In order to try getting gentoo installed services (like Apache, Mysql), I did the following:
Code:
ebuild sys-apps/baselayout-1.9.4-r6.ebuild install
cp /var/tmp/portage/baselayout-1.9.4-r6/image/sbin/runscript /sbin/
cp /var/tmp/portage/baselayout-1.9.4-r6/image/sbin/runscript.sh /sbin/
cp /var/tmp/portage/baselayout-1.9.4-r6/image/sbin/start-stop-daemon /sbin/
cp /var/tmp/portage/baselayout-1.9.4-r6/image/sbin/rc /sbin/
cp -R /var/tmp/portage/baselayout-1.9.4-r6/image/lib/rcscripts/sh /lib/rcscripts

6) I opted to let Redhat handle dependency checking by creating wrapper scripts to control the gentoo style init scripts (It would be too much work to hack rc-update to work with the Redhat init system considering the small number of portage installed daemons I'm going to work with.) The following is a wrapper script I wrote for apache2:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
#
# Redhat Wrapper for Gentoo Startup script for the Apache Web Server
#
# chkconfig: - 85 15
# description: Apache is a World Wide Web server.  It is used to serve \
#              HTML files and CGI.
# processname: apache2
# pidfile: /var/run/apache2.pid
# config: /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf

# Source function library.
. /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions

start() {
        /etc/init.d/apache2 start
        RETVAL=0
        return $RETVAL
}
stop() {
        /etc/init.d/apache2 stop
        RETVAL=0
}
reload() {
        /etc/init.d/apache2 reload
        RETVAL=0
}

# See how we were called.
case "$1" in
  start)
        start
        ;;
  stop)
        stop
        ;;
  status)
        status $httpd
        RETVAL=$?
        ;;
  restart)
        stop
        start
        ;;
  condrestart)
        if [ -f /var/run/httpd.pid ] ; then
                stop
                start
        fi
        ;;
  reload)
        reload
        ;;
  graceful|help|configtest|fullstatus)
        $apachectl $@
        RETVAL=$?
        ;;
  *)
        echo $"Usage: $prog {start|stop|restart|condrestart|reload|status|fullstatus|graceful|help|configtest}"
        exit 1
esac

exit $RETVAL

This script (called httpd) simply passes commands to the gentoo-style script (apache2). This script is linked to the proper runlevels in Redhat's init system so I don't even have to mess with Gentoo-style runlevel handling. I could probably enhance this some for logging purposes to capture the result of the gentoo-style script and use that to create a return value instead of just hard-coding a success value.

7) I've tested rebooting my VPS and Apache2 starts up just fine. I'm currently working on getting Mysql installed by portage (just making sure none of the dependencies will mess with anything).

The following is the list of portage installed apps/utilities so far:
    app-arch/bzip2 *
    app-arch/cpio *
    app-arch/gzip *
    app-arch/ncompress *
    app-arch/tar *
    app-portage/gentoolkit *
    app-portage/ufed *
    app-shells/bash *
    app-shells/sash *
    dev-lang/perl *
    dev-lang/python *
    dev-libs/expat *
    dev-libs/openssl *
    dev-libs/popt *
    dev-perl/Locale-gettext *
    dev-perl/TermReadKey *
    dev-python/python-fchksum *
    dev-util/ccache *
    dev-util/dialog *
    dev-util/yacc *
    net-misc/iputils *
    net-misc/rsync *
    net-misc/wget *
    net-www/apache *
    sys-apps/coreutils *
    sys-apps/debianutils *
    sys-apps/diffutils *
    sys-apps/findutils *
    sys-apps/gawk *
    sys-apps/grep *
    sys-apps/groff *
    sys-apps/help2man *
    sys-apps/less *
    sys-apps/portage *
    sys-apps/procps *
    sys-apps/sed *
    sys-apps/texinfo *
    sys-apps/which *
    sys-devel/autoconf *
    sys-devel/autoconf-wrapper *
    sys-devel/automake *
    sys-devel/automake-wrapper *
    sys-devel/bc *
    sys-devel/binutils *
    sys-devel/binutils-config *
    sys-devel/bison *
    sys-devel/flex *
    sys-devel/gcc *
    sys-devel/gcc-config *
    sys-devel/gettext *
    sys-devel/gnuconfig *
    sys-devel/libperl *
    sys-devel/libtool *
    sys-devel/m4 *
    sys-devel/make *
    sys-devel/patch *
    sys-libs/db *
    sys-libs/gdbm *
    sys-libs/gpm *
    sys-libs/ncurses *
    sys-libs/readline *
    sys-libs/zlib *

The one thing I'm trying to figure out is how I can remove entries from the RPM database without affecting files installed by Portage. In other words, if I didn't remove an app using 'rpm -e <app>' before emerging it, how can I remove the entry from the RPM database without screwing up the portage installed app?

I'll post more as I get further...:D
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dlong500 wrote:

This script (called httpd) simply passes commands to the gentoo-style script (apache2). This script is linked to the proper runlevels in Redhat's init system so I don't even have to mess with Gentoo-style runlevel handling. I could probably enhance this some for logging purposes to capture the result of the gentoo-style script and use that to create a return value instead of just hard-coding a success value.

I usually name the red hat wrappers with .rh extension so that portage can keep on overwriting its scripts. Is apache2 the name of the gentoo script for apache or you renamed it that way? I don't see much point of doing the latter.
dlong500
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, appending a .rh extension sounds like a good idea that I'll start using, but to answer your question, portage created the apache2 init script with that name, so I just used httpd (which was previously the redhat name for the apache init script).

By the way, I see you have mentioned that glibc should not be emerged, but what about glib? Are there any others besides the ones you mentioned (baselayout, glibc) that you have had trouble with? So far I've had good luck (with a few hiccups along the way, such as having to disable sandbox for coreutils). I now have mysql under portage control as well. Soon will come vpopmail and horde!
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dlong500 wrote:
Yes, appending a .rh extension sounds like a good idea that I'll start using, but to answer your question, portage created the apache2 init script with that name, so I just used httpd (which was previously the redhat name for the apache init script).

By the way, I see you have mentioned that glibc should not be emerged, but what about glib? Are there any others besides the ones you mentioned (baselayout, glibc) that you have had trouble with? So far I've had good luck (with a few hiccups along the way, such as having to disable sandbox for coreutils). I now have mysql under portage control as well. Soon will come vpopmail and horde!

glib is fine. in fact, all of gnome/kde packages and its dependencies are ok to emerge. X is another thing which operates differently, only slightly though. the package contents were very different and I never took the chance. apart from that I don't remeber anything.
dlong500
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devsk wrote:
glib is fine. in fact, all of gnome/kde packages and its dependencies are ok to emerge. X is another thing which operates differently, only slightly though. the package contents were very different and I never took the chance. apart from that I don't remeber anything.

Cool. Fortunately I don't need to install anything gui related being that this system is a remote VPS, so X is not an issue. It won't be too long till I've got just about everything under portage control. Oh, I forgot to ask about one thing: what about emerging linux-headers? Would this mess with things given that I'm using a redhat-compiled kernel versus one that came through portage? I guess I'm not exactly sure what those headers are used for...
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dlong500 wrote:
devsk wrote:

Cool. Fortunately I don't need to install anything gui related being that this system is a remote VPS, so X is not an issue. It won't be too long till I've got just about everything under portage control. Oh, I forgot to ask about one thing: what about emerging linux-headers? Would this mess with things given that I'm using a redhat-compiled kernel versus one that came through portage? I guess I'm not exactly sure what those headers are used for...

glibc compiles against kernel headers...I picked up matching versions from a gentoo box and did emerge on linux26_headers, and updated my glibc to appropriate yum version. After that I emerged 2.6.9 nitro2 kernel. The setup (alongwith suspend to disk) has been so stable that I haven't upgraded after that.

unless you want a custom kernel, you can leave all these alone and let yum manage it.
dlong500
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I've got a question...

I've set up wrapper scripts to call the gentoo-style init scripts for apache2, mysql, and svscan (qmail). Everything works fine at first, but I discovered that when I used a reboot command none of the shutdown scripts for those above mentioned daemons ran. So, upon restarting, the wrapper scripts called the gentoo-style scripts but it didn't work because runscript thought the daemons were already started! I had to use the 'zap' command to clear them.

I then tried to use the shutdown command instead (shutdown -r now) but this still does not seem to run the shutdown scripts for those daemons. So that means every time I shutdown/reboot none of those daemons come back up because runscript thinks they're already running. Even worse, if the hosting provider were to take the system down when I'm gone for some reason, the daemons won't come back up when they put the system back online!! How can I get around this?

First, why are the shutdown scripts not running on a normal shutdown command? (The K symlinks are present in runlevels 0, 1, and 6)
Second, what happens if something crashes so the system is restarted without running the shutdown scripts? Does this mean I will have to manually go in and 'zap' those daemons' init scripts before I can restart them? That would be unacceptable for a system hosting websites and email...

Please help!!:?
dearborn98
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:34 am    Post subject: Can not get portage working in fedora core 1 Reply with quote

I need help installing portage on Fedora Core 1. I paste the script line for line. I recieve no errors up to the first "emerge -O portage" , at which point I get this error:

/usr/lib/portage/bin/ebuild.sh: line 255: einfo: command not found

/usr/lib/portage/bin/ebuild.sh: line 277: einfo: command not found

/usr/lib/portage/bin/ebuild.sh: line 279: einfo: command not found
/usr/lib/portage/bin/ebuild.sh: line 280: einfo: command not found
/usr/lib/portage/bin/ebuild.sh: line 281: einfo: command not found

/usr/lib/portage/bin/ebuild.sh: line 283: ewarn: command not found
/usr/lib/portage/bin/ebuild.sh: line 284: ewarn: command not found
/usr/lib/portage/bin/ebuild.sh: line 285: ewarn: command not found
/usr/lib/portage/bin/ebuild.sh: line 286: ewarn: command not found
/usr/lib/portage/bin/ebuild.sh: line 287: ewarn: command not found

/usr/lib/portage/bin/ebuild.sh: line 289: einfo: command not found

/usr/lib/portage/bin/ebuild.sh: line 291: einfo: command not found
/usr/lib/portage/bin/ebuild.sh: line 292: einfo: command not found
/usr/lib/portage/bin/ebuild.sh: line 293: einfo: command not found

Recalculating the counter... Counter updated successfully.
/usr/lib/portage/bin/ebuild.sh: line 336: einfo: command not found
/usr/lib/portage/bin/ebuild.sh: line 386: einfo: command not found
/usr/lib/portage/bin/ebuild.sh: line 387: einfo: command not found
/usr/lib/portage/bin/ebuild.sh: line 388: einfo: command not found
/usr/lib/portage/bin/ebuild.sh: line 389: einfo: command not found
>>> Regenerating /etc/ld.so.cache...
>>> sys-apps/portage-2.0.51.19 merged.

>>> clean: No packages selected for removal.

After this error reporting, I can still paste the rest of the script up to the end with no other errors. When I reboot, kde will not start, I only get a log-on screen.

Can any one help?
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

those errors are fine from first run. installing portage can not screw up kde. did you emerge anything after installing? even if you emerge kde and then logout and login, it should just work. I did the same thing and kde works fine.

wait a minute...does redhat install kde in /usr/lib/kde3 or something like that? I think portage updated your /etc/ld.so.conf with paths like /lib, /usr/lib, /usr/X11R6/lib but didn't include the ones it didn't know about. post your /etc/ld.so.conf.

btw, your portage install is gone through fine...

edit: I have updated the script to not screw up the existing ld.so.conf. (But, that doesn't mean you can run the updated script and get your kde to run as before because now script will be using the changed ld.so.conf to build the new ld.so.conf)

Last edited by devsk on Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dlong500 wrote:
Ok I've got a question...

I've set up wrapper scripts to call the gentoo-style init scripts for apache2, mysql, and svscan (qmail). Everything works fine at first, but I discovered that when I used a reboot command none of the shutdown scripts for those above mentioned daemons ran. So, upon restarting, the wrapper scripts called the gentoo-style scripts but it didn't work because runscript thought the daemons were already started! I had to use the 'zap' command to clear them.

I then tried to use the shutdown command instead (shutdown -r now) but this still does not seem to run the shutdown scripts for those daemons. So that means every time I shutdown/reboot none of those daemons come back up because runscript thinks they're already running. Even worse, if the hosting provider were to take the system down when I'm gone for some reason, the daemons won't come back up when they put the system back online!! How can I get around this?

First, why are the shutdown scripts not running on a normal shutdown command? (The K symlinks are present in runlevels 0, 1, and 6)
Second, what happens if something crashes so the system is restarted without running the shutdown scripts? Does this mean I will have to manually go in and 'zap' those daemons' init scripts before I can restart them? That would be unacceptable for a system hosting websites and email...

Please help!!:?

dlong, it should work. I am not sure why its not working. I probably need to look into daemon start/stop program.
dlong500
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

8) Ok, I figured it out...

I knew there was something I was missing about how the Redhat init/shutdown system worked. What happened is that I had not put a line in my Redhat wrapper scripts to create a file in the '/var/lock/subsys' directory. Evidently, this is the Redhat equivalent of the Gentoo 'var/lib/init.d/started' directory. It only executes shutdown scripts for files listed in this directory, and since I had not put entries in there upon each daemon startup, it never included apache, mysql, or svscan in the shutdown script run-through.

Now here's where it gets compounded...

The Redhat init system clears the '/var/lock/subsys' directory upon rebooting (obviously because the programs CAN'T be running at that time), but it does not clear the 'var/lib/init.d/started' directory, because (of course) it is Redhat, not Gentoo. So when the wrapper scripts called the Gentoo init scripts for the daemons, the start-stop-daemon looked at 'var/lib/init.d/started' and complained that the programs were already running!

So.... here's what I did. I modified the Redhat wrapper scripts to add the necessary info for the Redhat init/shutdown system to function properly (as in the apache2.rhw script below):
Code:
#!/bin/bash
#
# Redhat Wrapper for Gentoo Startup script for the Apache Web Server
#
# chkconfig: 2345 85 50
# description: Apache is a World Wide Web server.  It is used to serve \
#              HTML files and CGI.
# processname: apache2
# pidfile: /var/run/apache2.pid
# config: /etc/apache2/conf/apache2.conf

# Source function library.
. /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions

start() {
        /etc/init.d/apache2 start
        RETVAL=$?
        if [ $RETVAL = 0 ]; then
                touch /var/lock/subsys/apache2.rhw
        else
                rm -f /var/lib/init.d/started/apache2
        fi
        return $RETVAL
}
stop() {
        /etc/init.d/apache2 stop
        RETVAL=$?
        [ $RETVAL = 0 ] && rm -f /var/lock/subsys/apache2.rhw /var/run/apache2.pid /var/lib/init.d/started/apache2
        return $RETVAL
}
reload() {
        /etc/init.d/apache2 reload
        RETVAL=$?
        return $RETVAL
}

case "$1" in
  start)
        start
        ;;
  stop)
        stop
        ;;
  restart)
        stop
        start
        ;;
  reload)
        reload
        ;;
  *)
        echo $"Usage: $prog {start|stop|restart|reload}"
        exit 1
esac

exit $RETVAL

This should get the shutdown script to run under normal conditions, but in order to make sure that a system crash wouldn't leave start-stop-daemon thinking that apache was running, I created the following init script that clears the '/var/lib/init.d/started/' directory at bootup, and then resets the fake symlinks for the few programs we don't want gentoo init scripts to complain about:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
#
# Redhat Wrapper to initialize subsystem for Gentoo-style init scripts
#
# chkconfig: 2345 15 15
# description: Subsystem initialization for Gentoo-style init scripts
# processname: gentoo-init.rhw

case "$1" in
  start)
        if [ -f /var/lock/subsys/gentoo-init.rhw ] ; then
                echo $"Subsystem has already been initialized"
                exit 1
        fi

source /etc/init.d/functions.sh

# clear gentoo-style init script started directory
        rm -f $svcdir/started/*

# obviate the startup of these dependencies
        for dep in checkfs checkroot clock hostname localmount modules
        do
                ln -sf /dev/null "$svcdir/started/$dep"
        done
        touch /var/lock/subsys/gentoo-init.rhw
        RETVAL=0
        ;;
  stop)
        RETVAL=0
        ;;
  *)
        echo $"Usage: $prog {start|stop}"
        exit 1
esac

exit $RETVAL

This way, even a crash (or any other event that causes shutdown scripts to not be run) will not interfere with starting the daemons.

Mixing two different init systems is a bit more complicated than I thought it would be, but I think everything is straight now. I'm gradually getting to where I want to be with this system.:)

Edit: I should note that the idea for the startup initialization script was based off reading the following page made by someone giving instructions for running Gentoo in a chrooted environment on a Redhat system. While not quite the same idea as installing portage on another distro, it gives some valuable information concerning the interaction of gentoo scripts with a Redhat environment:
http://kapcoweb.com/p/static/docs/jc-gentoo-howto/jc-gentoo-howto.html

Last edited by dlong500 on Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
thoffmeyer
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love this, when I was running slackware, I put portage on it :P

Join us on IRC
Server: irc.freenode.net
Channel: #conrad
dearborn98
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:01 am    Post subject: Fedora Core 1 running Reply with quote

devsk:

Just wanted to say thank you. My Fedora 1 system is up and running with portage.

I use partition magic, so I always keep a copy of my operating system for back-up. I copied over my back-up system, re-ran the new scritp, everything runs fine now, including portage.

As weird as it may sound, I'm now going to try to install portage on SuSE 9.2. Any suggestions?

I have another computer installed with a Live CD Gentoo installation from scratch. It's running great, too.

I'm hooked on Gentoo. Portage a great feature!!!

You mentioned after the scripts, that services should not be emerged on other distros with portage. What do you mean by sevices? Do you mean web, mail, and other internet packages?

Anyways, thanks again for your help. :-)
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You mentioned after the scripts, that services should not be emerged on other distros with portage. What do you mean by sevices? Do you mean web, mail, and other internet packages?
please follow the posts above by dlong. that's exactly what we are discussing there. If you want to use portage for installing, setting andstarting up service daemons (like the ones mentioned by dlong), you need to do what dlong did. Its slightly involved and very doable and stable.

I wanna take a moment to thank dlong for reverse engineering some of the startup/shutdown issues and updating us here. Thanks, dlong!
semijoyful
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject: Portage for Fedora 3 Reply with quote

I absolutely love Gentoo. It's great to really get a crash test into Linux with that OS; however, I am currently running Fedora 3 on my system. I'm confused on what rescue file I'm supposed to download. I went to http://dev.gentoo.org/~carpaski/portage_rescue/, but I'm not sure which x86 file I need. Can someone steer me in the right direction. I'll post my results when I can.
Thnx-Semijoyful:D
dlong500
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Portage for Fedora 3 Reply with quote

semijoyful wrote:
I absolutely love Gentoo. It's great to really get a crash test into Linux with that OS; however, I am currently running Fedora 3 on my system. I'm confused on what rescue file I'm supposed to download. I went to http://dev.gentoo.org/~carpaski/portage_rescue/, but I'm not sure which x86 file I need. Can someone steer me in the right direction. I'll post my results when I can.
Thnx-Semijoyful:D

I would think you would want portage-rescue-2.0.51-r14-x86.tbz2 assuming your system is the x86 platform. That said, the script seems to work great for me.
semijoyful
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: More Portage ?s from a Fedora 3 user Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. I went ahead and copy and pasted the first script and ran it. I then copy and pasted the second script and ran that one. To see if I was successful, I ran emerge. The thing was that I received the following message before it started emerging:
Code:
portage: 'portage' user or group missing. Please update baselayout
         and merge portage user(250) and group(250) into your passwd
         and group files. Non-root compilation is disabled until then.
         Also note that non-root/wheel users will need to be added to
         the portage group to do portage commands.

For the defaults, line 1 goes into passwd, and 2 into group.
         portage:x:250:250:portage:/var/tmp/portage:/bin/false
         portage::250:portage

On top of that, when it does emerge, it gives me this for example:
Code:
01:24:39 (98.16 KB/s) - `/usr/portage/distfiles/texinfo-4.8.tar.bz2' saved [1,521,822/1,521,822]

>>> md5 src_uri ;-) texinfo-4.8.tar.bz2
>>> Merging sys-apps/texinfo-4.8 to /
find: /var/tmp/portage/texinfo-4.8/image//: No such file or directory
find: /var/tmp/portage/texinfo-4.8/image//: No such file or directory
>>> Regenerating /etc/ld.so.cache...
>>> sys-apps/texinfo-4.8 merged.

>>> clean: No packages selected for removal.

The "No such file or directory" bothers me.

What did I do wrong, and how can I fix it?
Thank you for all your help!
-Semijoyful:)
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

post output of
Code:
id -a portage
semijoyful
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the output. I thought that the first error was because I wasn't logged on as root, so I tried it again just for kicks. I must have missed something?
Code:
[freshjoy@localhost ~]$ id -a portage
id: portage: No such user
[freshjoy@localhost ~]$ su
Password:
[root@localhost freshjoy]# id -a portage
[root@localhost freshjoy]#

Thankful,
Semijoyful
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

semijoyful wrote:
I must have missed something?
Code:
[freshjoy@localhost ~]$ id -a portage

Why don't you just add the users as Portage suggests? Even the lines to paste into /etc/passwd and /etc/group are provided to you.
semijoyful
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, like I said I'm a n00b of sorts. I definitely learned a lot when I was setting up Gentoo. Anyways, I don't currently have a /etc/group or etc/passwd. I don't know if me running Fedora 3 has anything to do with that.
Trying to learn,
-Semijoyful
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
groupadd -g 250 portage
useradd -d /var/tmp/portage -g portage -u 250 portage
semijoyful
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thank you for the code, but it's not working:
Code:
[root@localhost freshjoy]# groupadd -g 250 portage
bash: groupadd: command not found
[root@localhost freshjoy]# useradd -d /var/tmp/portage -g portage -u 250 portage

Any ideas?
-Semijoyful[/quote]
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

semijoyful wrote:
I thank you for the code, but it's not working:
Code:
[root@localhost freshjoy]# groupadd -g 250 portage
bash: groupadd: command not found
[root@localhost freshjoy]# useradd -d /var/tmp/portage -g portage -u 250 portage

Any ideas?
-Semijoyful

Maybe they are called addgroup and adduser respectively.

Also, if you installed the "System Administration" packages during the Fedora install, there should be a graphical control panel for managing users and groups. You can use that instead.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 8 of 13

Jump to: