ALSA crashes system --HARD!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grooveman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 5:37 pm    Post subject: ALSA crashes system --HARD! Reply with quote

Hello!

I am new to gentoo, but so far I think it is just about the greatest thing int he world!

BUT---

I am having trouble with ALSA. It took me 3 days of compile time, but I finally have gentoo 1.4rc2 up and running with kde 3.1. The documentation to this point has taken good care of me.

I went to install the sound drivers, followed the steps very meticulously (6 times now). And every time I get to the line in the docs that says: "aplay /usr/kde/[3.1]/share/sounds/pop.wav I get a click from my speakers and the whole system freezes. I have to do a hard-reboot. I try that command again, and instantly, I get the same.

I have a emu10k1 sounblaster live. I have tried with emerging alsa-oss and without.

The other thing I noticed is that every time after I reboot, /dev/sound/dsp and /dev/dsp (the link) are gone! I think devfs is destroying them, but I edited /etc/devfsd.conf as directed in the docs.

I don't understand what is going on here! There is nothing in the logs what-so-ever about alsa.

Something is missing in the docs... there must be. Can someone please help me get this working?

Thanks,
grooveman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 9:55 pm    Post subject: :D AHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

Now I see!

This was going to be another sob-post... but now it is the post of TRIUMPH!

It had nothing to do with ALSA. It had nothing to do with OSS.

It had everything to do with the fact that the sound card was sharing an IRQ with the modem :? !

a "cat /proc/pci" showed me that... I popped the card out and voila! Now...
I just need to figure out what to do about that conflict... hopefully I can address it in the bios.

Has anyone else ever run into this with PCI cards? ISA, sure, but I never had this kind of problem with PCI cards.

Anyway, special thanks to grooveman for getting back to me ont his one! Oh... wait that's me! :wink:

See ya,
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: