Mmmmmmm

Join us on IRC
Server: irc.freenode.net
Channel: #conrad
jannis
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my system sometimes locks when running OpenGL-Apps, but it still reacts on pings and I can SSH but this is described elsewhere as it keeps happening with 2.6.11-gentoo-r2.
On some older 2.6.X kernels (namely 2.6.9-nitro4) everything works well.
discomfitor
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legoguy wrote:
Hey Darckness, guess what? All of your releases with -r0 on them cannot be unmerged without unmerging all versions of nitro.

Nice going.

It automatically removes r0 (2.6.11_rc3-r0 -> 2.6.11_rc3) and therefore can't find the correct ebuild to unmerge.
I refuse to use nitro until you stop this r0 silliness. pre1, beta1, alpha1, whatever, just not the portage-[rule-]breaking r0.

Thanks for your hate, but I haven't changed anything on this release since I told you that I would stop using r0 back on page 12. Luckily you've decided to stop using it until the next version. Well done.
Morimando
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm i love nitro-sources and the idea of putting in nvidia and ati kernel is also nice (although it hasn't worked for me :( )
Hmm i hope this outweighs the bad guys a little bit 8)
gogds
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morimando wrote:
Hm i love nitro-sources and the idea of putting in nvidia and ati kernel is also nice (although it hasn't worked for me :( )
Hmm i hope this outweighs the bad guys a little bit 8)

I like nitro-sources although I'm not using Gentoo. I'm using Slackware and I really like the idea of putting nvidia in. It worked for me after removing certain lines from the Makefile as suggested by the nitro devs.

Thanks nitro devs for your work on this.
Lenz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great kernel patchset! Works fine on my machine for weeks and solved a lot of problems I have had before with gentoo-dev-sources! :) So keep you work up! :)

| Gentoo Linux since v1.4 (08-2003) [Screenshot]
| NetHack Highscore: 5.476.380 Pts., Val-Dwa-Fem-Law, ~ ascended to demigoddess-hood ~
discomfitor
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to thank everyone for all the support I've been getting lately. It's hard to stick with a project when everyone seems to be flaming you out of the universe, but I'm managing. I WILL continue development.

Two things of note:

As far as I know, seppe is working on the next nitro and it should be ready soon. There will be a definite cut back on features, and useless patches will be eliminated. In the coming releases I hope to somewhat change nitro's image. People seem to view it right now as some sort of "speed freak" or "ricer" patchset. This is not our aim, nor is it true. Nitro-sources is merely the desktop performance of ck-sources combined with several extra features. The aim is not speed, but to provide users with features that are not found in any other easily accessible kernel. Speed, if it occurs, is merely a side benefit ;).

Aside from nitro, I'm (hopefully) going to begin work on a new kernel-related project soon which will take everyone by surprise and is not controversial or flame-worthy (although somehow people might find a way...). I'm not at liberty to say much at the moment, but rest assured that everyone who uses nitro will love (Pun intended? Who knows? :D) it. The only hint that I feel is reasonable at the moment is to say that I am not working by myself on it. In fact, if all goes well there should be at least ten people making sure that this project is a masterpiece. Many of them are prominent figures who you know and love. Feel free to speculate, but I won't be able to say much until it either fails to work out, or until it succeeds wildly. If you're lucky, some other people who I plan to work with will see this post and drop some other hints. I suppose we'll see though.

DISCLAIMER: This is not like the nvati-drivers project. It will not violate any licenses, nor will it cause people to go nuts (except for those who REALLY get caught by surprise).

Last edited by discomfitor on Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pink
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darckness:

I know it is difficult when small minded people flame you every opportunity they get (you should see the hate emails I have had about the simple win4lin patches I offer, LOL), but bear in mind most of these people haven't offered anything to the community and all they want is perfection for free and give nothing back whatsoever.

Also bear in mind the number of people who are using it and who do like it :D

You, and the other devs', efforts are appreciated by the majority of people.

Good luck with the new project, whatever it is, and, as we say in England, keep your chin up!
Illissius
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Runtime selectable process schedulers? What is it?
(Best guess I have, based on the 'love' hint, if it was one at all, as that is biggest difference between nitro and love...)
Phlogiston
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

something else:

why is nitro-sources.org not up to date? It should be shouldn't it? :wink:
Varuna
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darckness: Thank you (and the other Nitro devs, of course) for your valued contributions to this great patchset. Even though I've used the more-or-less current versions of Nitro for months, I don't post on these threads much because things generally work! :) I use Reiser4 on all partitions and enjoy tweaking everything in sight while maintaining reasonable stability, so this patchset is ideal. As you're prolly a busy person, taking the time to document, support, and otherwise deal with the public must be tough in and of itself, so when some of those members of the public make your efforts feel decidedly unappreciated, it is very understandable that you would want to back off. While I would certainly respect any such decisions you make, I'm also quite glad that people of your dedication volunteer their time to contribute; it is definitely people like you, Tiger, and Seppe that make free/open-source tick.
loswillios
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running nitro0-e on my samsung x10 with a dsdt-initrd (patch is included in nitro0-e) but my log is filled with:
Code:
ACPI: acpi_ec_space_handler: bit_width should be 8

And laptop-mode is always on. I have to disable it everytime i boot.

greez
jan
seppe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phlogiston. wrote:
something else:

why is nitro-sources.org not up to date? It should be shouldn't it? :wink:

yeah it should, but I'm too lazy I guess :oops: ;)
I hope to get a new homepage for nitro-sources ready in a few weeks. This time completely seperated from my personal homepage/weblog :)

2.6.11-nitro1 is coming soon. There are already unofficial, unreleased patches for it in a secret directory I won't tell :p But with a little luck, 2.6.11-nitro1 final will be out tomorrow. Currently, I still have a little problem with Software Suspend 2, but I PM'ed darckness and I hope he can fix this.

Latest release I made: 2.6.13.2-nitro1
Morimando
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh next new nitro.. i keep changing kernel every week, seems that won't change..
I wonder what Darckness was talking about with the next big thing he's working on... maybe he's shaking his sleeves and a linux-2.10-darck-hour1 jumps out and makes out systems boot in 2 friggin seconds, making menuconfig with full-fledged hardware-detection and compilation itself right after emerging the source?
Now THAT would be really cool ;) One more question though: Can you add "works more stable"/"bit shaky"/"don't use for standard system" to your changelogs? would be a charm :twisted: ah well i love your kernels.. i tried love-sources too but after 1 day this heart at bootup and that "have a nice day" chased me off... also i was having hardlocks upon removing my usb-stick ^^ => Nitro rulez
hellz_hunter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm getting kind of frustrated
been working on this for the past two days and im getting nowhere fast
heh i dont even know where to start
with the gentoo-dev-sources 2.6.10-r6 kernel, nvidia-kernel package works fine with my system, xorg loads fine, unstable when resizing video on xine but overall just fine
now, with the nitro sources for x86, i abandoned all hope of compiling the built in nvidia module since i kept getting a seg fault (this was after i upgraded to gcc3.4)
i can only seem to compile the ~x86 nvidia-kernel package when using the latest nitro source, otherwise i get a kbuild error
loading the nvidia module is fine but when trying to run xorg i get hard freezes no matter what i do
in my xorg.conf do i still need the 'Option "NVAGP" "2" or should that be set as something else?
i'm just completely out of ideas, im going to try the 2.6.11-r5 and see if it works, then i can confirm that there is no hope for 2.6.11-semi-final nitro source to work on my system
if you need any information about my system or anything else please dont hesitate to ask as i really want this to work on my system, im just exhausted of ideas
p.s. other than the serious complications, great kernel :) i really do love it
hellz_hunter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, apparently staying up for 48 hours will do something to logical thinking,
just incase anyone else is having issuse
make sure ur using gcc 3.4 to avoid confusion
also make sure u have xorg to version 6.8.2
the latest nvidia kernels worked for me
and most importantly make sure ur using nitro-sources :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Page 14 of 14

Jump to: