Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
major problems with gentoo... EXTREAMLY unstable!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ee99ee2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:30 pm    Post subject: major problems with gentoo... EXTREAMLY unstable! Reply with quote

Okay recently I've been freezeing my computer about once a day at least. Don't know why, not had time to look into it (been extreamly busy). I think it's WinMX though that's doing it (WinMX running on Win2k in VMware). I've got 768MB of RAM, so it's not like I'm running out of memory.

But anyway, last night was the last straw. I've got to get this problem fixed. I've tried once before to get things stable, and what did kinda worked. I just upgraded my video drivers.

But anyway, I'm afraid I've got much more serious problem on my hands. Last night when it froze right before I went to bed, I rebooted and it came back. But it was really weird. Alot of my config files in /etc were blown away. They were back to their defaults like they were on the CD when I installed my system 2 months ago. Here's just some of the files that were affected:

/etc/fstab
everything in /etc/conf.d/
/etc/hosts
/etc/hostname

I mentioned this in in #gentoo, and I was told that it's because my journal was out of date? I use XFS on all 3 main partitions (/, /var/mp3s, /home... /boot is ext2). I was also told in #gentoo that if I use reiserfs, it wouldn't happen. Someone said they deleted everything on their system (rm -rf /) on accident, and rebuilt it from the reiserfs journal? Something tells me that's not accurate, but that doesn't matter.

I want to get to the root of this problem and find out what's wrong and what the hell caused my config files to get blown away like that. /boot, swap, and / are all on one physical hard drive... /var/mp3s and /home is on another physical [identical] hard drive.

This all started about a month ago when I did an emerge -u world and portage was upgraded. I know that's what caused it, but that wouldn't cause my file system to bomb (or being to bomb like I think it is now). Is there anything I can do to try to tack it down?

Oh, one more note. I checked the logs. Absolutly nothing in them. A couple weeks ago, I turned on kernel debugging (Magic SysRq key), after all this starting happening, b/c I read when the kernel crashes, with that feature on it'll log more info to the logs about the crash. Dunno, but it's not helping...

Any ideas about this perplexing issue would be greatly appricated...

-ee99ee2
BernieKe
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you have a nvidia graphics card?
do you use the nvidia (or NVdriver) driver?

if yes: that's probably the cause, i'm suffering from the same problem (although no data loss after hard resets)
it seems that the nvdia-driver locks up X for some reason
i've found some solutions on the forums, but none of them worked

the only thing that DID work is using the old and trusted nv-driver (without glx extensions), but you won't be able to run quake3 (fe.) anymore

Bernard
SlCKB0Y
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have xscreensaver running? I found with some versions of nvidia drivers, and xscreensaver, after a particular screensaver had been on for a while, i would get a total lockup.

if you have them running, then try disabling them.
ee99ee2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xscreensaver does run... yes... but it rarely locks up when it's running... I'm not running one of the OpenGL screensavers... just a black screen

If I don't run xscreensaver, how else can I lock my screen so I have to enter a password to get back in?

Also, I tried downgradeng the nvidia kernel and glx driver (to 2960-r1). I've been as high as the 4xxx one. I had a freeze tonight about an hour after I installed the 2960 one... so that didn't help...

-ee99ee2
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try disabling agp and see what happens.
ee99ee2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

umm...... what

my card is an AGP card...

-ee99ee2
BernieKe
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wasn't talking about an older nvidia-driver (I never tried it with the 2x series anyway (don't think they work on a geforce 4?)), i meant the standard nv you get whith X (like in putting nv instead of NVdriver or nvidia in the driver option, and disabling glx along with it)
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
umm...... what
my card is an AGP card...

AGP cards run in PCI mode if you disable AGP. AGP is pretty much a glorified PCI. To disable AGP you just add this option to your XF86Config file right underneath the driver line:
Code:

Driver "nvidia"
Option NvAGP "0"

Nvidia docs are here:
http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86_40/1.0-4191/README

I've never used XFS well except for one day were I tested out the performance as I wanted to compare it to Reiser so I can't really comment on it but I've used Reiser for many years and never had a problem with it.

I've setup several systems with nvidia cards that would randomly freeze up with the nvidia driver if agp was enabled so I just disabled it, none were gaming machines so I didn't really care but I did want to play videos on them and the nvidia driver is much better for that. I tried reducing the agp speed to 1x, making sure sba/fw was disabled, underclocking the agp bus, increasing the agp voltage, updating the bios on the mobos, nothing worked except disabling agp. These were all older systems with bx motherboards, one was a geforce 1 ddr and the other two were tnt 1's.
ee99ee2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.... I'll have to try that. Anyone know about my file system? Is there something I can do to check the validity of the journal??

-ee99ee2
Bowyakka
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lemme guess :)

You have XFS and prempt and nvidia drivers ??????

I found on my old mandrake box XFS to be rock solid (this was a machine without preempt) Even when it crashed I never lost files.

then I moved to gentoo and put XFS and premept in the same kernel , it seems (as far as I belive) that XFS utilises threads and that these threads get pre-empted when they should'nt be, I have had nothing but crashes all of which talk about xfs as being the cause. Also the crashes (like is mentioned in the gentoo install docs) seem to fry a lot of my data. Nvidia drivers seem to aggrivate this and increase the chances of these crashes .

My conclusion is to

1) use a kernel without preempt , lowlatency and the O1 patches( ie go and get a vanilla 2.4.20 and the apply the xfs patches found at oss.sgi.com to it)

2)Change filesystem to reiserfs (ext3 is too slow performance wise to bother with and jfs just doesn't have the feture set of xfs and reiser)

I changed my filesystems over (for my machine no mean feat it gave me an excuse to buy a dvd burner :) ) and used reiserfs , preempt and nvidia on the same kernel. After months of telling myself that it wasn't xfs it turns out that this was the cause of all my problems , I haven't had a major crash since ..........
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good thing stabilitywise is to disallow optimzations on binutils, gcc and most importantly glibc - it will hurt your preformance a bit (but no worst than any other linux distro). I think the stablity is worth it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: