Nitro kernel 2.6.11 Xorg error (SOLVED)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whabee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:17 am    Post subject: Nitro kernel 2.6.11 Xorg error (SOLVED) Reply with quote

I am running Gentoo 2004.3 on a P4 intel motherboard system, and I have kernel-2.6.10 running perfect. I am a huge gamer so I thought I would give the nitro kernel a try I followed the steps and emerged nitro 2.6.10 and recompiled nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx all went well there. I set all the things it told me to in xorg.conf then I rebooted my machine and the nvidia splash screen came up went away came up again and did this about 3 times, then I got am error that the GUI could not load because my mouse wasnt configured right, I am thinking humm whats the mouse got to do with it, any way I booted back into my normal 2.6.10 kernel and gnome loaded right up so I tried the nitro 2.6.11 kernel and got the same mouse error and crash as 2.6.10, anyone got any ideas?

Last edited by whabee on Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Arainach
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post this in the nitro thread; the nitro devs have said many times that they will not respond to threads like this, only to inquiries in their thread.
whabee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well after days and days of looking around on the internet I found the answer to my problem on some tiny website and by luck.

I needed to chance /dev/mouse to /dev/input/mice it works flawless now....
Benson
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whabee wrote:
Well after days and days of looking around on the internet I found the answer to my problem on some tiny website and by luck.

I needed to chance /dev/mouse to /dev/input/mice it works flawless now....

I think this hasn't something to do with nitro-sources - did you change to udev, because i had the same problem but found the solution in this forum! :wink:

rgds
Benson
whabee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first I thought it was a Nitro problem so I tried different kernels and after I tried nitro 2.6.11, love 2.6.11, gentoo 2.6.11 I found every 2.6.11 kernel I tried to load failed X with a mouse error so its not a nitro problem but a 2.6.11 problem because every gentoo 2.6.9 and 2.6.10 kernel I ran did fine with /dev/mouse. after all the reseach I did and all the things I tried that didnt work, the only thing I changed was /dev/mouse to /dev/input/mice and so far every 2.6.11 kernel I have tried loads up X now.
Benson
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah this is a small detail i didn't know too, and in the gentoo-doc's about udev there's nothing mentioned. But in my case, i always use the old kernel config, and this was the only thing i had changed while updating the kernel was that udev-thing. Compiling the kernel with the old /dev support solved the trouble, so as i mentioned in my first post, searching through this forum i finally found the small thing i had missed with udev and my mouse... ;-)

Anyway, always good to find the solution, next time you'll surely remember it! 8)

rgds
Benson
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved to US
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: