Reiser4 questions/issue
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maximus2000
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reiser4 questions/issue Reply with quote

Hi,

I have created my /home directory as a reiser4 partion. I am having some issues. I know the reiser4 is not a stable fs yet, so I know to expect some issues. Here is what is happening:

1. I cannot copy large files/folders from my reiserfs partition to my reiser4 partion. It starts out fine but then locks my system up.
- I however have no issues doing the copy if I boot into the RIP cd

2. I have been using CrossOver Office to run my Lotus Notes. I seems not to work anymore. cxoffice is loaded in my /home dir along with my .cxoffice
wine runs fine but Lotus is seems to have issue running under wine. Well I seem to not be able to set it up properly.

I am running kernel 2.6.11-rc2-nitro and my /home partiton is the only reiser4 partition. Any help or suggestions would be great.
acasto
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been running reiser4 for a quite a while now and the only problems have been from messed up kernel compilations. As for it locking up your system, have you checked the output of "dmesg" to see if there is any file system errors being spit out? Also, you may try to add the following to your /etc/conf.d/local.start file
Code:
mount |awk '/reiser4/{gsub("/dev/","",$1); system("pgrep "$1" |xargs renice -19") }' > /dev/null
With reiser4 being more cpu intensive, this will give it higher priority.

- Adam

"You know the Nazi's had pieces of flare.. that they made the Jews wear."
Maximus2000
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kernel are you using? Is there anything in particular I should have compiled in my kernel beside using 8kb and reiser4 support? So far I love the speed of this fs. Thanks for the quick reply.
acasto
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using 2.6.10-ck5 with some the reiser4 patch and some additional patches. Any recent kernel with reiser4 support and those settings will work fine. I just did some stupid things like compiled it across distcc with -O3 optimizations. Not that that's bad or anything, just where alot of the FS stability lies in the kernel, and your using a rather new FS, it's not really a good example of what to do.

And before people call me a ricer for using -O3 on the kernel, I've just read in a few cases, one being in Linux Journal I think, about how using -O3 optizations could make the kernel better at things like music encoding and such. So I thought I would give it try.

- Adam

Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there were some minor issues with R4 on rc2 and rc3 , though I did not use them. There is a much improved , stable 2.6.11-nitro out so it would make a lot of sense to move to that.

rc does mean release candidate, by all accounts the release version is very stable.

I use 2.6.10-nitro4 and dont see your sort of problem.

R4 has not been accepted into the vanilla kernel yet but I have lost more date on ext3 when I had a h/w prob than I did on my R4 parts.

HTH 8)
Maximus2000
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentree,
Thanks I am going to emerge the stable nitro 2.6.11 now and see if I still have any of those problems thanks.
Maximus2000
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what I am doing wrong. Just switch to 2.6.11-nitro0. Formated a seperate partition as reiser4. Tried to copy some files into it and the cp command shows 99.9% cpu util and I am unable to kill it. ps does not show it as locked or anything. The only way I can stop it is a hard reset, since reboot,halt,shutdown, or changing the init do not work. The system does not lock up but it is pretty useless do to slow speed doing anything with cp or mv eating cpu time. Any thoughts to help me out. When I had it somewhat running on rc2 it was pretty dam fast and I liked it.
acasto
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maximus2000 wrote:
Not sure what I am doing wrong. Just switch to 2.6.11-nitro0. Formated a seperate partition as reiser4. Tried to copy some files into it and the cp command shows 99.9% cpu util and I am unable to kill it. ps does not show it as locked or anything. The only way I can stop it is a hard reset, since reboot,halt,shutdown, or changing the init do not work. The system does not lock up but it is pretty useless do to slow speed doing anything with cp or mv eating cpu time. Any thoughts to help me out. When I had it somewhat running on rc2 it was pretty dam fast and I liked it.

Have you tried the love sources 2.6.11, I was looking into the difference between love and nitro and have seen people mention they had some problems with nitro 2.6.11 ?

edit: Or you could just go here ftp://ftp.namesys.com/pub/reiser4-for-2.6/ and the reiser4 patch and patch a vanilla kernel yourself.

- Adam

bollucks
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

acasto wrote:
Also, you may try to add the following to your /etc/conf.d/local.start file
Code:
mount |awk '/reiser4/{gsub("/dev/","",$1); system("pgrep "$1" |xargs renice -19") }' > /dev/null
With reiser4 being more cpu intensive, this will give it higher priority.

That's a pretty cool approach. However, with the interactivity of reiser4 being a complaint wouldn't you want to run it more nice (positive values) instead of negative?
acasto
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bollucks wrote:
That's a pretty cool approach. However, with the interactivity of reiser4 being a complaint wouldn't you want to run it more nice (positive values) instead of negative?

I forget where I read that command from, a thread around the forums I think. Anyways, the nice issue is confusing, but to set something more nice, is to set it at a lower priority. So lower nice (negative values) give it higher priority, which is what you would wan with a filesystem. Here the info from the man page:

nice manpage wrote:
NAME
nice - run a program with modified scheduling priority

SYNOPSIS
nice [OPTION] [COMMAND [ARG]...]

DESCRIPTION
Run COMMAND with an adjusted scheduling priority. With no COMMAND, print the cur-
rent scheduling priority. ADJUST is 10 by default. Range goes from -20 (highest
priority) to 19 (lowest).

-n, --adjustment=ADJUST
increment priority by ADJUST first

--help display this help and exit

--version
output version information and exit

AUTHOR
Written by David MacKenzie.

REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>.

bollucks
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I know... I was saying that interactivity is hurt by reiser4's excessive cpu usage so you would want it lower priority / more +ve nice to improve interactivity.
acasto
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had any problem with interactivity or seen the cpu usage get too high. On modern cpu's I doubt it's much of an issue. Maybe also depends on which kernel your using.

- Adam

bollucks
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not my personal experience either; I was responding to comments by others in other threads.
Maximus2000
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Everything Seems to be working Reply with quote

Ok,

I downloaded the patch and applied it to a kernel-2.6.10-ck5. Compiled and booted upi fine. Nvidia woring great along with access to the reiser4 partion. Copying to and from works great and the speed is incrediable; especially from reser4 to reiser4. Thanks for all your suggestions and help.
superstoned
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Everything Seems to be working Reply with quote

Maximus2000 wrote:
Ok,

I downloaded the patch and applied it to a kernel-2.6.10-ck5. Compiled and booted upi fine. Nvidia woring great along with access to the reiser4 partion. Copying to and from works great and the speed is incrediable; especially from reser4 to reiser4. Thanks for all your suggestions and help.

btw your hangs and problems before had nothing to do with reiser4, as I had them too. it had to do with some problems in the 2.6.10 kernel (and probably -ck, con and I where unable to find out what it was - now it seems to be fixed - I blame vanilla...).
Maedhros
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Kernel & Hardware.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: