dhcpd and dhcpcd -h
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bumpus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 8:53 pm    Post subject: dhcpd and dhcpcd -h Reply with quote

I'm looking for a way to make dhpcd play nicely with the hostname information provided by dhcp clients with the dhcpcd -h option. My problem is that I have a few laptops and a handful of PCMCIA network adapters (some wired, some wireless) and I would like for each laptop to always get the same IP address regardless of which ethernet adapter I happen to stick in.

It would seem like this should be possible since the dhcpcd -h option exists, there must be a server that can take advantage of it. I've even noticed that the names are logged in the dhpcd.leases file, but I can't seem to find any option for dhcpd.conf that makes use of it.

Anyone have any ideas?
TwoTired
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure I understand it fully but you can pass options to dhcpcd in your ?etc/conf.d/net file

Where it says
    iface_eth0="dhcp"

Uncomment the line below and add your -h in the quotes at the end
    idhcpcd_eth0="-h"

Whether this will achieve your aim I dont know
bumpus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:30 pm    Post subject: I understand what to do in /etc/conf.d/net Reply with quote

My problem isn't that I don't know how to set dhcpcd -h hostname in /etc/conf.d/net, it's that i would like to be able to do something useful with the information that provides.

Generally dhcpd keeps track of which IP addresses is has issued by MAC address and this works just fine when you can assume that people don't go willy-nilly switching NICs between different machines. However, if you have some PC card NICs that all look the same they can easily get switched between different laptops and then the confusion sets in.

I would like for my DHCP server (which is a gentoo box running ISC dhcpd) to use the information provided by dhcpcd -h to always issue the same IP address to a particular computer regardless of which NIC I happen to have inserted at the particular time.

I'm quite certian that I don't need to make any further changes to /etc/conf.d/net on the client computers. The file I'm going to need to change is /etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf, I'm just not sure what options I need to use.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: