Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Installing Gentoo without Internet Connection - possible?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RaK2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:51 pm    Post subject: Installing Gentoo without Internet Connection - possible? Reply with quote

Hello guys,

I currently try to set up a vdr box for my living room. While googling I came across gentoo and heard the pean of praise from many linux enthusiast around the world.

After checking out the gentoo ressources out there in the net and this nice board I thought the portage/emerge concept seems to be very good.

I have a box on my desk with the devil inside ;-) (XP). This one is connected to my ISDN network. Through this box I get connected to the internet. The box is attached via USB and there is currently no linux driver available. So it is not possible to connect the ISDN box to my gentoo box to go online ;-(.

My vdr which will hopefully become a gentoo box is connected via ethernet to my XP box.

I came across the question if it will be possible to install gentoo on that box without having a direct internet connection via ppp.

Hopefully you can tell me something abot that.

TNX alot
TheCoop
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you will either need to use a stage 3 install, or you will somehow need to get and burn onto a cd all the packages gentoo will install with (where oyu get that list from i dunno)

"One World, One web, One program" - Microsoft Promo ad.
"Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Führer" - Adolf Hitler

Change the world - move a rock
PowerFactor
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From your description it sounds as though your XP box is doing connection sharing with the vdr box, and the vdr box is the one you want to install gentoo on. Is that so? If so then you have no problem. Gentoo will be able to access the net just fine if the XP box is properly configured.
If I misunderstood you could you please clarify?
carambola5
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: Installing Gentoo without Internet Connection - possible Reply with quote

RaK2 wrote:

My vdr which will hopefully become a gentoo box is connected via ethernet to my XP box.

Well, if you have ISDN coming into your XP box, and a working network between that and your vdr box, you can set up XP such that the second box gets internet access.

It's nothing specific to Gentoo. Heck, it's not even specific to Linux in general. You'll want to check out the "Internet Sharing Wizard" or something like that in XP. I've never done it, so I can't help you.

Good luck, and here's to your new vdr box... with Gentoo, of course!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: