View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tiger683
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The functioning monitor mode patches are not available for above 0.13.
Cheers.

T
kontol
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger683 wrote:
The functioning monitor mode patches are not available for above 0.13.
Cheers.

T

You mean orinoco 1.5 don't support "monitoring mode"??. But well..we can ask fallow (if he doesn't mind), to put orinoco driver 1.3 plus monitor patch mode http://www.kismetwireless.net/code/orinoco-0.13e-dragorn3.diff if that's ok with that...or from here http://www.tzi.de/~plasmahh/orinoco.html driver for 1.3 + monitor patch
Tiger683
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do, but the guys from the second link say something about the support being not full.
Quote:

A: Well, the better depends on what card you have and what you want to do. Here is what I have noticed as main differences so far. 0.15 has quite a lot of changes, so it will fix bugs, add new features, be more stable, adds bugs be more unstable etc. So if it just works for your card (which should do on older ones) the 0.13e is as good as the 0.15 from what I can say. The main difference is that with the 0.15 the Monitor mode does not work properly, and attempts to add a patch for that failed, causing my card to freeze. I dont know exactly why that happens, since in 0.13e it does not happen. Also the 0.15 has removed the per-packet stats when in rfmon mode. So if you plan to use some software that needs rfmon such as kismet then you will want to use the 0.13e driver. If you just want a working card, use the 0.15 driver.

T
traceqnt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`m reading this from some time but I`must add something .

I have a request about scheduler. I think this thread is more important than this https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-2119119.html , so I`m writing here.

In my opinion NickScheduler is working very well and I want to use it with next release instead of also good but not my preferable Staircase.
I think that genetics for NickScheduler can be a good addition as option in menu config.

So keep up very well working NickSched. Staircase as option is not required.
Love-Sources users are used to using NickSched from long time ;) .
For me the IngoSched can be a alternative but I want to see genetics in NickSched definitly more than another scheduler as option .

that`s all.
thanks.
and pozdrowienia(greetings) from Poland ;)
darkfolk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa. Just whoa.

Yesterday, my comp was running my games on PCSX at 30fps max. Today, after I installed love-sources (rc5): 60fps.
No skipping whatsoever. Sound quality high. Truly amazing sight. Now, I don't know what did the trick; I reniced X, and love-sources was compiled with:
Code:

CONFIG_CFLAGS_STRING="-march=pentium4 -mtune=pentium4 -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -momit-leaf-frame-pointer -fprefetch-loop-arrays -mfpmath=sse -fbranch-target-load-optimize2 -msse2 -msse -mmmx -ftracer -falign-functions=32"

Genetic Anticipitory scheduler is new to me as well. What I found weird was that nitro-sources could not take those CFLAGS, these sources could. I'm never going back.
Keep up the good work. :D
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

monitor mode and scanning masically the same, monitor mode was dropped because some of the new firmware dosent support it, instead of using kismet, you can u airsnort

'iwlist eth2 scanning' will show all of the AP's around which means packet sniffing will work also
Tiger683
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx for clarifying, i am not an expert on this area.

Cheers,

T
feld
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

succsessfully recreated my hardlock 3 times last night. no ssh even available.

1. I was compiling something.
2. Using hal, dbus, and gnome-volume-manager to manage my device -- I plug in my USB key.
3. copied and pasted one text file onto the drive.
4. Right click the drive and unmount.
5. unplug the drive.
6. instant lockup!

not sure whose fault it is.... may test tonight by downgrading to stable hal and dbus

-Feld

if (random(65535)< 65500) { hose(partition); for (i=0;i<100000000;i++) print_crap(); }
fallow
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmh3093 wrote:
would it be possible to see these patches in your next release

[url]coherentminds.org/linux/orinoco-0.15rc2.patch[/url]
http://coherentminds.org/linux/toshiba_fixes.patch
http://coherentminds.org/linux/cpad-2.6_v1.1.patch

and config-nr-tty-devices.patch ...... i know you have that around somehwhere so I didnt provide a link

config-nr-tty-devices is in this love release already ;)

about toshiba and cpad - ok :)
about orinoco I see that is a little discussion in here. I`m also not an expert in this :)
IF You definitly precise the version I try to add it into next release :P :)
rmh3093, If You have some time - I see that are You use this patch etc - maybe You will prepare some good working patch for futher 2.6.11-> 2.6.11-love1 release and I add Your patch then do this release :) will be nice.

traceqnt wrote:

In my opinion NickScheduler is working very well and I want to use it with next release instead of also good but not my preferable Staircase.
I think that genetics for NickScheduler can be a good addition as option in menu config.
So keep up very well working NickSched. Staircase as option is not required.
Love-Sources users are used to using NickSched from long time ;) .
For me the IngoSched can be a alternative but I want to see genetics in NickSched definitly more than another scheduler as option .
that`s all.
thanks.
and pozdrowienia(greetings) from Poland ;)

Hello my friend :P :) I`m thinked very similar - simply - ok :)

feld wrote:
2. Using hal, dbus, and gnome-volume-manager to manage my device -- I plug in my USB key.
5. unplug the drive.
6. instant lockup!
not sure whose fault it is.... may test tonight by downgrading to stable hal and dbus
-Feld

so it`s seems that is hard releted to the usb support. Milu has similar problem with usb I think.
so , in the further release will be no any bk`s for usb support etc. just usb from 2.6.11-vanilla.
sorry for this also :)

cheers. :)

and small btw.

maybe is here somebody who will be able and have intend to making some nice wallpapers for us :P :)
I think will be nice to have a love-sources nice wallpapers on the desktop.

"Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived" J-L. Picard ;)
xming
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My box locked hard again without oops after 3 days of uptime. I will try the new patch
martin.k
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work!!!
Now switched from 2.6.11-rc4-nitro1 to 2.6.11-rc4-love1 with genetics :D
Everything works now faster (with genetic as).
Much faster than my first try 2.6.9 + zaphod + genetic anticipatory IO scheduler (from Jake Moilanen's patchset).
Xorg starts & works faster... etc, etc...
LRU #299256
fallow
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xming wrote:
My box locked hard again without oops after 3 days of uptime. I will try the new patch

I hope will be better, If not , then with next release :P :) :D
martin.k wrote:
Great work!!!
Now switched from 2.6.11-rc4-nitro1 to 2.6.11-rc4-love1 with genetics :D
Everything works now faster (with genetic as).
Much faster than my first try 2.6.9 + zaphod + genetic anticipatory IO scheduler (from Jake Moilanen's patchset).
Xorg starts & works faster... etc, etc...

great to hear this :)
and thanks to You , that You first pointed me to genetic implementations on the polish forum :)
will be a little genetic tuned nickscheduler as well in the next release :)

cheers. :)
"Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived" J-L. Picard ;)
velociphile
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vrln wrote:
Unfortunately my system just locked up after about ~5 hours of uptime. It was neat while it worked though. Seems like it was too early to say it worked after all. No idea what caused it, since there's nothing in the logs. I'd quess it's related to SMP though (seems like single CPU people (or non HT p4) haven't had any problems with Nicksched) - anyone using this with SMP/SMT (p4)?

I something strange on my SMP system - after some hours of uptime I get a sort-of lock, where the screen blanks if I am in X or stops printing keyboard input if I am on a tty. However, something is still responding as I can (sometimes) switch between ttys, but I can't log out or dmesg.
I don't get the same problem with 2.6.10-gentoo-r6, my stable kernel.

Apart from that - wow, my first time with Love-sources and while the system was up I saw my Climatepredication.net avg timestep drop about 0.5%. Doesn't sound a lot but thats working against over 200 hours of CPU time with gentoo-dev-sources. Seriously had no idea a kernel patchset could make that much difference. Great stuff, I'm converted. Looking forward to the next release... Thanks fallow.

Vista will solve all your problems. People keep telling me so it must be true.
fallow
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

velociphile wrote:
vrln wrote:
Unfortunately my system just locked up after about ~5 hours of uptime. It was neat while it worked though. Seems like it was too early to say it worked after all. No idea what caused it, since there's nothing in the logs. I'd quess it's related to SMP though (seems like single CPU people (or non HT p4) haven't had any problems with Nicksched) - anyone using this with SMP/SMT (p4)?

I something strange on my SMP system - after some hours of uptime I get a sort-of lock, where the screen blanks if I am in X or stops printing keyboard input if I am on a tty. However, something is still responding as I can (sometimes) switch between ttys, but I can't log out or dmesg.
I don't get the same problem with 2.6.10-gentoo-r6, my stable kernel.

Apart from that - wow, my first time with Love-sources and while the system was up I saw my Climatepredication.net avg timestep drop about 0.5%. Doesn't sound a lot but thats working against over 200 hours of CPU time with gentoo-dev-sources. Seriously had no idea a kernel patchset could make that much difference. Great stuff, I'm converted. Looking forward to the next release... Thanks fallow.

no problem. maybe If You have logs or somehting then it will be more objective :) however - nice :)

btw. Superb avatar from " PI " - PI & Requiem for a Drem Rox :) Darren Aronofsky rox :)

cheers.
Deranger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fallow wrote:

feld wrote:
5. unplug the drive.
6. instant lockup!
-Feld

so it`s seems that is hard releted to the usb support. Milu has similar problem with usb I think.
so , in the further release will be no any bk`s for usb support etc. just usb from 2.6.11-vanilla.
sorry for this also :)

I don't think this is BK stuff's fault. I am running my own pathset, which is based on vanilla 2.6.11 and I'm getting lockups when unmouting USB devices. However, I am using genetic anticipatory I/O scheduler. I'll change I/O scheduler and report how it goes... :P
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: