SMP, long time to boot.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acidreign
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 5:35 pm    Post subject: SMP, long time to boot. Reply with quote

Long time reader, few time poster.

Wonder if anyone has had any problems with this setup.

Dual XP 2000+
Tyan MP760 Motherboard
1GB DDR Corsaire ram.

Problem 1)

After the lilo kernel selection screen, "Uncompressing Linux", is slower than when it ran on my pentium 133. I can literally walk to the kitchen, put the the tea on, get a cup out, get the milk out and come back in, and its just about done. (a good 40 seconds).

Problem 2)

Turning the machine off. This one is a doozy. As long as i use software, or the remove the "Jug plug" Standard connector at the back of the PSU, the machine will reboot normally next time i attempt to boot it.

When i use the button on the front of the machine, it will require a BIOS reset to bring the board back from its "dead state". Luckily the gentoo machine doesnt go down often so both problems are not that critical but It would be good if they could be solved. or at least know that someone else is having the problem.

Thanks in advance.

(BTW, psu isn't the problem)
ctford0
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think this is a common SMP problem. I have a gigabyte board with Dual 2000+'s and I can literally type reboot and 45 seconds later can login with ssh.... Plus my board is running RAID, which adds to the boot time to detect the array. Don't know what your problem could be.

Chris
ronmon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be kernel configuration. APM should be off, enhanced real time clock (in Character Devices) should be on. Check everything else for sanity and build a conservative kernel.

If that doesn't do it I would think hardware. In fact, that's what I think it is already, but it's easier to build a new kernel. :) Time to double check your BIOS settings and possibly re-seat everything on your motherboard.

As a long time SMP'er, I can tell you that they do not normally boot slowly. Quite the contrary.
Dragon561
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a tidbit of info. The only the athlon mps can run together, not the xps.
ronmon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good point, Dragon. I didn't catch that detail in the initial post, but it's easy to fix. Since XP's cost about half as much as MP's, I bought a pair of new XP1800+'s and patched the L5 bridges with the defogger repair kit method. It's quite simple, works like a charm and can save you a bundle.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: