Audigy 2 NX sound [FIXED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matrixhax0r
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:50 am    Post subject: Audigy 2 NX sound [FIXED] Reply with quote

Hello eveyone. I got one of those Audigy 2 NX USB "sound cards". I got the drivers and thing all working plus I can hear sound and stuff (7.1 yay!).
The gentoo wiki on usb sound was really helpfull.

There seems to be a problem with xmms though. There's a crackling problem that makes everything sound really bad. I've looked around google and it seems like people have tried to fix it by upsampling? (/etc/asound.conf) and downsampling by configuring the mpg123 plugin. None of them seem to work. The weird part is that mplayer can play the exact same files flawlessly which makes me wonder. My mplayer and xmms are both configured to use ALSA. I also noticed that anything playing thourgh ESD has the same problem as ALSA.

Any ideas fellas?

[edit]
Okay. here's how I got mine working:

First off, I am using NTPL 2.6 kernel. I did one of those Stage 1 on a Stage 3 tarball installs. The 2.6 kernel part "might" matter.
I turned on EHCI, Full speed transactions, UHCI, USB Storage and USB HID. ParticulariIy disabled "USB audio support" in the USB section because that is a driver for USB speakers and I don't want it messing with my sound driver.
Then I compiled sound support into the kernel. I compiled ALSA, Sequencer support, OSS Mixer API, OSS PCM API, RTC Timer support as modules. Uh, I was "forced" to compile OSS Squencer API into the kernel. I made a module Emul10k1 under PCI devices (I'm pretty sure it's not doing anything though). I made a module USB Audio/MIDI driver under USB devices.

Then I modified my make.conf to have ALSA_CARDS="usb-audio"
Emerge some alsa programs:
Code:

emerge -p alsa-lib alsa-utils alsa-oss alsa-tools alsa-firmare
[ebuild   R   ] media-libs/alsa-lib-1.0.8
[ebuild   R   ] media-sound/alsa-utils-1.0.8
[ebuild   R   ] media-libs/alsa-oss-1.0.8
[ebuild   R   ] media-sound/alsa-tools-1.0.8-r1
[ebuild   R   ] media-sound/alsa-firmware-1.0.8

Here's are various lines from my /etc/modules.d/alsa:
Code:

alias snd-card-0 snd-usb-audio
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
alias /dev/mixer snd-mixer-oss
alias /dev/dsp snd-pcm-oss
alias /dev/midi snd-seq-oss
options snd cards_limit=1

Here is me asound.conf . I really didn't have a clue what is going on here. [edit] Here's an updated one with only what you reall need. BTW, how do you use the hardware mixing? [/edit] I also didn't really know if it was being loaded of not, so I made did "ln -s /etc/asound.conf ~/.asoundrc" to make sure.

Code:

pcm.usb-audio {
        type hw
        card 0
}

ctl.usb-audio {
        type hw
        card 0
}

pcm.!default {
        type plug
        slave {
                pcm "hw:0"
                rate 48000
        }
}

This should upsample things to 48khz so that you won't get crackle. You just need to set your ALSA using apps to use the default device. I haven't managed to get it to work with ESD yet.

Note that your audigy 2 NX must be turned on when alsa starts. If it isn't, it'll give a module not loaded error. You can just turn it on and restart alsa.

I am using 7.1 sound and the analog outputs. When I start alsamixer, I can see headphone, Digital In Toggle, Speaker, Speaker 1, Speaker 2, Speaker 3 toggle. Well in my situation, the only ones that matter are speker 2 and speaker 3 (note that in the gnome volume control, they start number by 1). Speaker 3 mute causes the red light on the sound card to turn on. There are controls for 8 different speakers on speaker 3. Speaker 4 toggle turns the sound off and on but don't turn on the red light. The rest of the controls don't matter.

There are various success stories of downsampling mp3's to 22 khz in xmms. Just open up xmms preferences. Select MPEG Layer 1/2/3 under Input Plugins. Configure. Down sample: 1:2 (22khz).

Good luck!

Last edited by matrixhax0r on Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:10 pm; edited 8 times in total
Arainach
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try turning your PCM down in your equalizer. Back when I was on onboard sound with PCM at 100% I would get distortion. With my Audigy 2 ZS, the problem seems to be gone, but it's worth a shot.
matrixhax0r
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip. It didn't really work tho.
Guinpen
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matrixhax0r, would it be possible to explain in larger detail what you did to make the card work in Linux? I have the exact same card and I've been trying to make it work for ages with no success. I do get crackling sound under XMMS, and in addition it's only over the two front speakers. Funnily, I haven't tried a different program, but I will do so. How did you get 7.1 to work? Are the channels independent or just replicated? What about USB1 vs USB2 or 192/24 vs 48/16? Any advice, tricks, links, or other type of info will be greatly appreciated.
Timitsch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd also be intrested in a "how-to" for the audigy. havent been able to get it running in gentoo.
Guinpen
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 7.1 system connected to that card. Under Linux, I get sound over the two fron speakers (not the center) and the subwoofer. The sound quality is much lower than in Windows, but is acceptable under one condition - the output must be sampled in 48000 Hz, not 44100. Since all mp3 files I have are in 41000 Hz format, I need a software app that will convert the input while playing it and sample it already in 48000 Hz to the soundcard. Can XMMS do this?
matrixhax0r
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMFG! It works! All I had to do was XMMS->Options->Output Plugin->ALSA->Configure->Audio device->default. Now if I figure out how to do this with esd.

I'm such a nerd. I'm gonna be listening to HL 2 music all day
palatin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got an audigy 2 nx, and followed your advices. While I can have sound on 2 speakers (out of 4), I found some strange and annoying problems :
- Stopping the soundcard while my computer being on totally blocks my keyboard, unless I stop the alsasound service before. (I had to ssh and stop it in order to get my keyboard back).
- The same actions kills my Xfce panel.

I noticed some more things :
- Despite being an usb-2 soundcard, plungging it on an usb-2 compliant plug makes it being used as an usb-1 device. Is this the same for you ?
- I don't get why only 2 speakers actually work. (The other 2 work using the headphones place however).
- Why did you advice installing the emu10k1 modules ? they are not loaded on boot, because the usb-sound driver is used.
raylpc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one question, how much power does the audigy 2 nx draw?
micmac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raylpc wrote:
I have one question, how much power does the audigy 2 nx draw?

Nothing from your computer, because it needs an external power supply (so much for the mobility). Check out the Terratec USB 5.1 MKII. USB powered and fully supported by ALSA. Not a pain in the ... under Linux like the NX. And much cheaper.

Cheers

mic
Root Moose
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the Audigy 2 NX working using the advice in the first post above. I had to follow the kernel compiling instructions explicitly as above for it to work - including the emu10k1 module. Without it the audigy will not work - but it never gets loaded anyway...strange.

r@m
Guinpen
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's strange.. mine works (with limited features) with the usb-audio module, and does not need emu101k; in fact I couldn't ge tit to work with emu101k but without usb-audio. By te way, how can I get ANY surround out of this thing?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: