Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Most stable kernel patchset for use with reiser4?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jake
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tnt wrote:
Any signs off reiser4 becoming stable on amd64 ?

:?:

They fixed a major bug and I switched 260Gb on AMD64 to reiser4, but I've gotten a few lockups since then. It could be my hardware or patchset, though.
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've had my computer lock up like 100 times playing with swsusp2, never had data corrupted with reiser4

even though your computer locked up, have u lost anyhting?
DrWoland
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can somebody explain what all this Staircase, Nicksched etc stuff is? I feel so left out of the loop! What are the differences/different kernels that use them?
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrWoland: they are cpu schedulers: they are responsible for managing all of the cpu calls (the kernel, xorg, firefox, gaim, or where ever else is running on your computer), different schedulers allocate cpu resources differently

...by the way, have you read The Master and Margarita?
fallow
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpalencia wrote:
And Works excelent, very stable, (never had a problem with previous versions), with deadline as I/O scheduler, reiser4 works the fastest I´ve seen yet.
Before this patchset I also tried cko, nitro and love.
Cko= the mos stable, but slower for reiser4
Nitro= faster, but has some problems with reiser4 (nitro-2.6.10-r4)
Love= better but too unstable for my taste (some lockups)
With this patchset, I havent had any issues, and seems the best for reiser4.
Try it, you´ll be glad you did

btw. :) have You tried love with update from genetic as from 0.3 to 0.4 ? some oopses was been releated to it and with update is much better. latest update is to rc5 :)
http://vivid.dat.pl/fallow/pub/love-sources/2.6.11-rc4-love1/2.6.11-rc4-love1-upd04-to-rc5-info.txt

rmh3093 wrote:

I like it very much ;)
this is a program book in polish schools.

DrWoland : search the forum. is many of threads about it.

cheers.
"Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived" J-L. Picard ;)
DrWoland
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmh3093 wrote:
DrWoland: they are cpu schedulers: they are responsible for managing all of the cpu calls (the kernel, xorg, firefox, gaim, or where ever else is running on your computer), different schedulers allocate cpu resources differently

The Master and Margarita? No what is that?

Of course I've read it ;) It's an awesome book, I read it on nights like tonight when my printer and computer conspire to rob me of all sleep and I need something to calm the nerves.
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fallow: did u put genetic back in love.... i was playing with .4 with the new phenotypes and I like how it was working with nicksched and reiser4... i havent done any benchmarks though, things just seemed snappeircoherentminds.org

..... side note, i took this class in college last quarter called "Dangerous Texts" and we read a bunch of Russian lit including Master and Margarita, yeah it wa a great book, you wont find that as a standard read though in the US, it should be though
fallow
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmh3093 wrote:
fallow: did u put genetic back in love.... i was playing with .4 with the new phenotypes and I like how it was working with nicksched and reiser4... i havent done any benchmarks though, things just seemed snappeircoherentminds.org

Yeah genetic-as is still in love, with latest update04 to is 0.4 version now. Phenotypes is nice idea imho and gives more possibilities to extend implementation. for me it`s running well , but I still prefer deadline as my main io scheduler.
I working on some port of J.Moilanen genetic implementation to brings a little of it to NickSched it`s also can be interesting in next version of love :) .

cheers.
"Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived" J-L. Picard ;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: