View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
caefer
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 11:07 am    Post subject: running photoshop Reply with quote

hi there,
[before you even think about it: do NOT try to convince me of gimp, since I won't be convinced so do NOT I repeat DO NOT try it!]

I love my gentoo box, the only reason I run a parallel w2k install is because I need my photoshop. is there a way to use it with wine or should I run a vmware install?
would that be any reasonable? would it be sucking slow?

do you guys see any chance adobe's osx release will be run on linux?

*sigh*
/christian
sgaap
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried ps 4.0 once with wine, it worked but far from stable, form time to time I try ps with wine but it never worked for me again.

I am now using the gimp, but when I want to use PS I fire up my vmware install :)
caefer
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgaap wrote:
[..] but when I want to use PS I fire up my vmware install :)

so, vmware is stable and photoshop on it is reasonable fast?
/christian
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think version6 has been reported to work under wine, but version 7 is a lost cause..

check them out at http://appdb.codeweavers.com/
caefer
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, I just found this:
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/photoshopOSX.html
so, if you can get aqua on a linux machine, then ps would be no prob, right?
might even run w/o aqua..
any thoughts?

/christian
hook
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. i doubt that you can run aqua on linux (yet!)
2. i doubt (=i'm sure it doesn't) it would run under linux just as it is

make some pressure on adobe to make a linux port ...that's the only way we can get progs like photoshop on linux

(deep inside i'm still a tux's little helper)
abhishek
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this but it is for photoshop 5.5.
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a graphics designer, so I don't have much experience in any of the graphical suites for Windows or Linux.

But i think it is going to be a very hard task to get Photoshop running under Wine or Winex as I believe that there is a huge amount of low-level programming using features that are very difficult to handle through Wine(x).

I see that you don't want people tell you to go to Gimp, so I'm not going to ask you :) But, it would have been interesting for the rest of us to hear, in a matter of fact posting, why Gimp can not be used. Is it that it is missing features or is it just a descision that you have made?

Erik
axxackall
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried Photoshop 5 (Mac version) on Mac-on-Linux (Macos 9.2) on Gentoo/PPC - works fine.

I found both Wine and WineX (on my Gentoo/x86 box) very buggy. Perhaps people who install it successfully have previously installed Windows partition. I don't. As a result in my case Wine can run by itself, but it cannot install anything. All advises and all docs did not help, so I gave up on Wine.

MOL on Gentoo/PPC works much more stable. Well, some devices (USB scanners, printers and TV/tuners) are not implemented yet. But if you need just MacOS for running such applications as Photoshop or Mac games or Mozilla with Flash plugin or Quicktime or Mac Office - it works just perfect.

Well, another minor problem of MOL I found - it overrides openfirmware settings to some default values, so I have to run ybin each time after MOL (put it to the script), but that is a really very minor problem.

I am not sure how it will help people with Gentoo/x86, but perhaps it would be useful for people with Gentoo/PPC to know.
sgaap
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

so, vmware is stable and photoshop on it is reasonable fast?

Yep...
lghman
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use VMware to run not only photoshop, but also Maya. Now I will admit there is a little slow down with Maya, but I have had not a single problem with photoshop on VMware. My Vmware system is a default Windoze 2000 installation.

--sonik
hook
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but still the only sane solvation for this constant problem would be to make the software industry make linux native versions of apps (and games) which we need

read this topic:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=212726

(deep inside i'm still a tux's little helper)
c_kuzmanic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use vmware to run photoshop, freehand, flash mx and a variety of other apps and it works perfectly. However, I do long for the day when native ports will finally be available. I have no doubt that it will only be a matter of time until that happens though:)
krusty_ar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tryed The Gimp??

:twisted: :twisted: :mrgreen: :twisted: :twisted:
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I use VMware to run not only photoshop, but also Maya.
There's a version of Maya for Linux, unless you're talking about the free version which is only win/mac.
NaN
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Codeweavers (http://www.codeweavers.com) has said that the next release of CrossOver Office will support Photoshop. The beta is being tested now and photoshop does install and run, but there are still a couple of rough edges.

I use it to run Quicken and MS Office 2k at work. Having Photoshop support will be great, though I personally like the gimp. CrossOver Office is worth the $50 if you want hassle free support for many of your windows apps. Certainly a lot easier and more stable than wine from cvs, and cheaper than VMWare. Probably quicker too...
dbezona
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebrostig wrote:
IBut, it would have been interesting for the rest of us to hear, in a matter of fact posting, why Gimp can not be used. Is it that it is missing features or is it just a descision that you have made?

At the risk of not sounding pro-linux enough, I'll throw in my two cents here ;)

I can think of a number of reasons - although my experience with the Gimp is limited, so if I am wrong on some points, by all means set me straight.

The main one, for me, is the learning curve. I have been using Photoshop since 2.0 - it's a VERY deep application capabilities-wise, which comes at a price in learning to work with it productively and efficiently. When you invest that kind of time and experience, moving to something that is as different as the Gimp UI-wise is a challenge.

Another is file exchanging - if you are working with a team of grpahic artists, often you pass around the native Photoshop file, with layers and such intact. AFAIK, the gimp uses a different format, so this would be tough.

Then there is the now fairly nice intergation with Illustrator, which allows passing files (or just paths and such) between the two apps. Although Gimp is a reasonable bitmap alternative to Photoshop in many cases, I have yet to find anything aprocahing Illustrator on Linux - let alone with the integration with Gimp to match.

If you are talking about print work, is handling color matching and all of the related issues therein. This one issue is why, until fairly recently, Photoshop wasn't just enough, but Photoshop on MacOS was virtually necessary. Linux and the Gimp (again, AFAIK) don't have the depth and breadth of tools that work with apps like Photoshop and Illustrator to assure that what you see on the screen will resemble the output you see at the end of the production cycle.

Along these lines, there is the huge number of Photoshop-specific plug-ins available. Some are just eye-candy, but many are important tools for a production print environment.

I do hope Adobe ports thier graphics tools over, but the core of thier business is still the professional graphic arts community (you know, the ones who actually pay the $900 a licsense for each app), and there are still too many holes in the Linux tool kit for there to be too much adoption of it in a production environment.

Let's be honest, the terrible time many people seem to have getting thier font situation sorted in X may seem like a nuisance for the average user just wanting thier desktop to look pretty, but it is a show stopper for people trying to crank out magazines and flyers and so forth. WYSIWYG is not an option, it's a requirement to do business.

The Gimp is actually fairly impressive, but until it can play nice with the rest of the pieces of the larger graphics production puzzle, Photoshop (on another platform, really) is still indespensible.
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, dbezona!

I think that was a very neutral and informed posting.

As I said, I'm not a graphics artist and I have never used any of the graphical suits other than just playing around with them, so I had no feel for either one, nor did I have any idea how well they stack up.

Erik
Carlo
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbezona wrote:
moving to something that is as different as the Gimp UI-wise is a challenge.

A very polite formulation. I would say the UI simply sucks. :twisted:

Beside this there are some pros and cons regarding the functionality compared to Photoshop, but up to now the latter wins the contest.

Carlo
plate
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, hell freezing over and a flock of Gentoo penguins figure-skating on the surface is more likely than Adobe producing native Linux applications. They were the power behind Carbon, if you know what I mean.

And if you don't, I'll just explain it to you. :P Adobe had been moaning and shouting abuse at Apple ever since Rhapsody, and insisted they install a legacy API for applications that were designed for Mac OS 9.x and lower, so that they wouldn't have to learn any new tricks. Since Adobe is the main reason for the graphics industry to buy Macs in the first place, Apple didn't have a choice. Imagine Microsoft announcing XP and software vendors saying "Sorry, not right now, please", and you get the picture.

Adobe has finally come around to building native Cocoa support into their software, so it'll only take another five to ten years before GNUstep is advanced enough to allow backporting of Mac apps to x86. It'll be ready by the time the Hurd is operational, I suppose. 8O
lghman
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:
I use VMware to run not only photoshop, but also Maya.
There's a version of Maya for Linux, unless you're talking about the free version which is only win/mac.

Yea but I dont have that kind of money to spend on a program that I play with casually. Plus I couldnt *COUGH*find it*COUGH*

--sonik
SlCKB0Y
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonikntails wrote:
I use VMware to run not only photoshop, but also Maya. Now I will admit there is a little slow down with Maya, but I have had not a single problem with photoshop on VMware. My Vmware system is a default Windoze 2000 installation.

--sonik

Hey finally someone thats makes sense...errrr....not

You realise that there is a native version of Maya made for linux right?
cnawan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: running photoshop Reply with quote

caefer wrote:
hi there,
because I need my photoshop. is there a way to use it with wine or should I run a vmware install?
would that be any reasonable? would it be sucking slow?

1 can't speak for vmware, but ps7 works fine under wine (build 20031016). 1 was pretty nonplussed, 1 ran "wine setup.exe" & "wine photoshop.exe".. and that was it.. 1 was expecting some epic geeky battle.

Now 1 have American McGee's Alice running under winex too - both apps run just fine, no performance issues/gfx anomalies or anything.
You could use ps7+wine everyday and not care what was happening behind the scenes - 1 click a gnome-panel launcher & up pops photoshop - what more do you need?

(although... ps's palettes are on every desktop under fluxbox.. time for more googling methinks
Fence36
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think version6 has been reported to work under wine, but version 7 is a lost cause..

check them out at http://appdb.codeweavers.com/

I have also gotten PS7 to work under a default wine install. Ran install fine no problem. Runs 99% flawlessly. Build 20030911
Axklor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photoshop 7 now works flawlessly under wine due to Disney funding wine to allow photoshop to run on linux since Disney has chosen linux for their multimedia applications, there is a link elsewhere in this forum to the article.

I don't doubt the Gimp is as powerful as Photoshop but i never had the time to learn how to get photoshop equivalents out of it. Photoshop is now installed under wine and i couldn't be happier, now to get office xp working under wine, keeps giving me corrupt iso errors despite being able to install it perfectly under windows 2000 on my other machine...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: