Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Most stable kernel patchset for use with reiser4?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
routerguy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:09 am    Post subject: Most stable kernel patchset for use with reiser4? Reply with quote

Hello. I know this question has been asked many times on the board. However, because the stability of different kernel patchsets often fluctuates dramatically, I would like to ask the question, as of today:

What is the most stable 2.6.x kernel patchset for use with reiser4?

I do am willing to sacrifice speed and bleeding edge features for stability. I only need good reiser4 support, and basically everything that gentoo-dev-sources provides. (gensplash, nvidia-glx, etc)

Thank you.:)
Dark Ninja
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you just patch the gentoo-dev-sources with the Reiser4 patch? That'd give you exactly what you want.
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all of the patchsets out basically all use the same reiser4 patches, so it dosent really matter, if you have dont have a 64bit processor your SMP enabled should be golden, most other peoples problems come from not having their system set up correctly, or bugs in other drivers
predatorfreak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmh3093 wrote:
all of the patchsets out basically all use the same reiser4 patches, so it dosent really matter, if you have dont have a 64bit processor your SMP enabled should be golden, most other peoples problems come from not having their system set up correctly, or bugs in other drivers

Well, patchsets like nitro which use staircase will have the worst reiser4 proformance, where as say love will have much better proformance.
VoVaN
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

predatorfreak wrote:
Well, patchsets like nitro which use staircase will have the worst reiser4 proformance, where as say love will have much better proformance.

Is that your opinion? Can you prove that? I'm using the latest stable kernel (2.6.10) patched with reiser4 from namesys (reiser4-for-2.6.10-1) and all ck patches (ck5 for 2.6.10). EVERYTHING works VERY FAST and STABLE!!!
As well I've P4 with SMP/HT enabled.

Code:
Linux vovan 2.6.10-ck5-reiser4 #1 SMP Mon Feb 14 19:06:07 CET 2005 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

Code:
vovan [pts/5 bg 0] /mnt/local/src>mount -v
/dev/sda3 on / type reiser4 (rw,noatime)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw)
none on /dev type ramfs (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
/dev/sda6 on /tmp type reiser4 (rw,noatime)
/dev/sda7 on /home type reiser4 (rw,noatime)
/dev/sda8 on /mnt/local type reiser4 (rw,noatime)
/dev/sdb3 on /mnt/backup type reiserfs (rw,noatime)
/dev/sdb6 on /mnt/portage type reiser4 (rw,noatime)
/dev/sdb7 on /mnt/data type reiser4 (rw,noatime)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
none on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
nfsd on /proc/fs/nfs type nfsd (rw)

fallow
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is no problem with 2.6.10 and Staircase , Predatorfreak foget to add that it is with 2.6.11-rc1/2/3 for ex. I didn`t tested rc4 yet. I hope with .11 will be ok.

it was been discuted and tested in the vivid-sources thread for ex. ( check it if You have a time/intend )

cheers.
"Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived" J-L. Picard ;)
routerguy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any special patches I need for x86? Or can I just apply the reiser4 patch to gentoo-dev-sources? Thank you.
DrWoland
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fallow wrote:
is no problem with 2.6.10 and Staircase , Predatorfreak foget to add that it is with 2.6.11-rc1/2/3 for ex. I didn`t tested rc4 yet. I hope with .11 will be ok.

it was been discuted and tested in the vivid-sources thread for ex. ( check it if You have a time/intend )

cheers.

Hmmm what is this problem? Link to a thread? I am running .11-rc4-nitro1, should I be concerned?
Master One
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell, that with patching latest "x86" development-sources 2.6.10-r1 with the 2.6.10-patch from namesys, I got some strange output in the system-log (something about keys and fsck? all the time), and the first time I started the system after the installation, it even came to a stop with a segfault.

That's why I returned to 2.6.11-rc4-nitro1, which runs smooth and stable without any unusual output, using deadline as i/o scheduler.
VoVaN
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master One wrote:
I can tell, that with patching latest "x86" development-sources 2.6.10-r1 with the 2.6.10-patch from namesys, I got some strange output in the system-log (something about keys and fsck? all the time), and the first time I started the system after the installation, it even came to a stop with a segfault.

That's why I returned to 2.6.11-rc4-nitro1, which runs smooth and stable without any unusual output, using deadline as i/o scheduler.

you have to patch 2.6.10 with reiser4-for-2.6.10-1 from namesys (some kind of final version of reiser4). I works very stable even with the latest ck patchset. I like nitro, but I don't like all these experimental stuff which comes with nitro... so I'm always using "the latest stable"... just reiser4 and ck.
Master One
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VoVaN wrote:
you have to patch 2.6.10 with reiser4-for-2.6.10-1 from namesys (some kind of final version of reiser4). I works very stable even with the latest ck patchset. I like nitro, but I don't like all these experimental stuff which comes with nitro... so I'm always using "the latest stable"... just reiser4 and ck.

I used the final version for 2.6.10 from namesys, and nevertheless it made those problems. I am not quite sure, maybe it's something in the ck patchset preventing those problems, but patching plain vanilla sources with reiser4-for-2.6.10-1 simply did not work out for me.
predatorfreak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fallow wrote:

cheers.

Ahh yes, I did forget to add that its a known prob only for 2.6.11-rc1/2/3.

/me hits his brain
fallow
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrWoland wrote:
fallow wrote:

cheers.

Hmmm what is this problem? Link to a thread? I am running .11-rc4-nitro1, should I be concerned?

as I said , I didn`t testet rc4 + Staircase , I hope that is ok now. The problems was been with rc1/2/3
IT was been talked around this post https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-2072003.html#2072003 .
It was been a main reason to return to O(1) in vivid and to choose NickSched.

but as I said rc1/2/3 , now the problems may gone ...

Mystic0 : for ex. I`m using reiser4 patches from mm broken-out with. There is also cko fixes and one amd64 fix. for me reiser4 from mm is working fine.

cheers.
"Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived" J-L. Picard ;)
bzcat_-|patch-p1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes nicksched interacts well with reiser4. Your best best is to go grab a kernel using nicksched.
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sure does :)
routerguy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I checked mm-sources had problems with the nvidia drivers. Is this still a problem? Also, isn't mm-sources the equivilant of using 2.7.x? I don't want bleeding edge features, just reiser4. (the irony...:wink: ) Nitro sounds a bit too bleeding edge. What about ck? Does that include nicksched or reiser4?
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my patchset 2.6.11-rc5-skunk2 has reiser4 and is not based on -mm, it also includes nicksched or use -love that has reiser4 nicksched and some -mm patches, -no sources is based on -mm so u might not want that
davey_freeman@yahoo.com
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Most stable kernel patchset for use with reiser4? Reply with quote

Mystic0 wrote:
Hello. I know this question has been asked many times on the board. However, because the stability of different kernel patchsets often fluctuates dramatically, I would like to ask the question, as of today:

What is the most stable 2.6.x kernel patchset for use with reiser4?

I do am willing to sacrifice speed and bleeding edge features for stability. I only need good reiser4 support, and basically everything that gentoo-dev-sources provides. (gensplash, nvidia-glx, etc)

Thank you.:)

The namesys team works and tests directly on the mm patchset. Pull the bk tree from bkbits.net and apply the patches from Andrew Morton and namesys to get exactly the code Hans and the team work on.

This is also usually the fastest reiser4 code around with the vm changes in mm - especially for mmap() system calls (except MAP_FIXED) which are like 200% faster on my system.
bzcat_-|patch-p1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah no-sources is based on mm-sources. But we do offer nvidia compatibility. Its one of our main priorities. It is bleeding edge tho so I don't know how stable it can be for you. Its running fine for me. It is an experimental patchset but offers performance . =) Cko which is cko overloaded has reiser4 support but with staircase cpu scheduler as far as I know. Love sources is also bleeding edge but also has nicksched and reiser4. You can try them all and see what you like best.
mpalencia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: This is what I use_: 2.6.11-rc5-skunk2 Reply with quote

And Works excelent, very stable, (never had a problem with previous versions), with deadline as I/O scheduler, reiser4 works the fastest I´ve seen yet.
Before this patchset I also tried cko, nitro and love.
Cko= the mos stable, but slower for reiser4
Nitro= faster, but has some problems with reiser4 (nitro-2.6.10-r4)
Love= better but too unstable for my taste (some lockups)
With this patchset, I havent had any issues, and seems the best for reiser4.
Try it, you´ll be glad you did
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-2986139.html#2986139

There are 2 things infinite: the universe and human stupidity, but I am not sure about the first one. (Einstein)
routerguy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you are recommending that I use "no-sources"? Does this patchset have an ebuild? Can you point me to where I can find the files? I found a few threads here about them, but I'm not sure which one is the latest version. Thanks.:)
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cd /usr/src
tar xvjf /usr/portage/distfiles/linux-2.6.10.tar.bz2
mv linux-2.6.10 linux-2.6.11-rc5-skunk2
rm linux
ln -s linux-2.6.11-rc5-skunk2 linux
cd linux
patch -p1 -s < patch-2.6.11-rc5-skunk2
make menuconfig
Morimando
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm im using 2.6.11-rc3-nitro0 at the moment and it seems to work fine with reiser4..
or am i missing something?
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used nitro for a while too with reiser4 and I never noticed a "problem" but now that I have been using nicksched instead of staircase, I like it better
tnt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any signs off reiser4 becoming stable on amd64 ?

:?:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: