[iptables] null nat mapping
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Colin Lindo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 9:47 pm    Post subject: [iptables] null nat mapping Reply with quote

hi all!

in the netfilter nat-howto you can find a short description of the "null nat mapping" (6.3.2).

well, there stands, that you can define the target "-j ACCEPT" to accept any connection, without doing nat on it.

i applied the following rule to one of my routers between two subnets (two nic's)..

#iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth1 -j ACCEPT

..because i wanted to achieve just a simple "packetforwarding", but it didn't work.

the usual "nat-rule"..

#iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth1 -j SNAT --to x.x.x.x

..works without problems.

thanks in advance for any explanation..

colin
jukka
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: [iptables] null nat mapping Reply with quote

hi colin,

Colin Lindo wrote:
i applied the following rule to one of my routers between two subnets (two nic's)..

#iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth1 -j ACCEPT

..because i wanted to achieve just a simple "packetforwarding", but it didn't work.

what does "didn't work" mean? what did you expect, and to what extent the results differed with your expectations?

Quote:
the usual "nat-rule"..

#iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth1 -j SNAT --to x.x.x.x

..works without problems.

let me guess: at least one of your nodes does not know a route for at least one node on the opposite side of the router.

an example: let's assume you have four nodes (A, B, C and D) and three subnets (X, Y and Z). node A resides in subnet X, node C resides in subnet Y, node B connects (routes between) subnets X and Y, and node D connects subnets Y and Z. let's further assume that node B is node A's default gateway, and node D is node C's default gateway. lets compare source nat and null nat mappings:
  • SNAT
    node A wants to connect to node C. packets go from node A via node B to node C, and because node B alters the source address of every packet to an address for which node C knows a route (i.e. node B's address), response packets from node C find their way back to node B, where the destination address of every packet is altered to that of node A. packets are then sent back to node A.

• NULL NAT
    node A wants to connect to node C. packets go from node A via node B to node C, and because node B does not alter the packets source addresses, and node C does not know how to send packets to subnet X, response packets from node C are sent to its default gateway, which is node D. what happens then is not predictable without knowing how node D is configured, but assuming it's a properly set up router it should drop or reject (no holy wars about this one, please ;-)) the packet, because its source address does not belong to a directly connected subnet.

if you don't understand what i'm trying to say you could try this: set up a null nat mapping, run e.g. tcpdump on all nodes, and send packets from node A to node C. see where they end up...

hth, jukka

Last edited by jukka on Wed Feb 19, 2003 10:47 am; edited 2 times in total
Colin Lindo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: [iptables] null nat mapping Reply with quote

thanx a lot jukka,

now i got the point!

p.s. i think you made a little node mistake in your explanation. here is the corrected version (changes are bold):

jukka wrote:
an example: let's assume you have four nodes (A, B, C and D) and three subnets (X, Y and Z). node A resides in subnet X, node C resides in subnet Y, node B connects (routes between) subnets X and Y, and node D connects subnets Y and Z. let's further assume that node C is node A's default gateway, and node D is node B's default gateway. lets compare source nat and null nat mappings:
jukka
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: [iptables] null nat mapping Reply with quote

Colin Lindo wrote:
p.s. i think you made a little node mistake in your explanation. here is the corrected version

you're right. there were even more errors. i think i was too tired ;-) (i applied the changes to my post)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: