OSS install. How do I get rid of it?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FINITE
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 6:47 pm    Post subject: OSS install. How do I get rid of it? Reply with quote

Just a quick question about getting rid of oss. I want to switch over to using alsa since it now supports my intergrated sound chip. Do I just delete all of the oss files and then emerge the alsa stuff? Thanks.

PS: I am using the free eval version of oss and its become a real pain in the arse doing "sound off" "sound on" every time my 30minutes of working sound runs out on me in the middle of watching a movie or listening to music. :D
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think so. btw. use ALSA_CARDS=<yourcard> emerge alsa-driver, this way it won't compile all the other drivers. check (desktop doc / other posts) on how to install.

Cya lX.
FINITE
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that that "ALSA_CARDS=via8233a" would work. I have to get some .c file from alsa's website. Unless the ebuild for alsa is has support the the via8233a south bridge. Thanks for the info on oss though.
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just download ALSA, configure, compile, and install yourself. Then, just emerge --inject it and you'll be off and flopping like a mackerel ;)
FINITE
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I shouldn't even worry about oss? Well accept for switching everything over to alsa. What is emerge --inject? Does that add the downloaded alsa to the "emergeable packages list"? I also assume that you are saying that just downloading the newest version of alsa from the site includes support for my sound chip, right?
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emerge --inject tells Portage that even though it didn't install it, said package is available. This allows you to add alsa to your USE variables without Portage constantly wanting to install ALSA for you.
FINITE
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so "emerge --inject alsa-driver" and it won't complain? and I would have to do that for all of the alsa? Also from what I have read, since I have the via8233a chip, I have to have the 1.19 version of the via8233.c file. What would I do with that file. The only way I can get it is as a text file. Where do I go from there. OR doi I just download the newest version of alsa-driver from the asla site and it has that file already? Help meeeeee........
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: