Hard Drive swapout
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
retroman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Hard Drive swapout Reply with quote

Hey all,

I have an ultra 5 running a mysql server on gentoo. Currently it is a 4gig drive and i would like to purchase a 70gig drive to replace it.
What I would like to do is copy the entire 4 gig over to the 70 seemlessly and run off of the 70 gig. Some questions though.

Knowing that the ultra5 is ata ide (currently)

Is there a maximum drive size?

Can I have more than one drive in the ultra 5 at one time?

Is there a standard procadire to mirror it across? cp -rv /???

Any advice would help.

thanx

jordan

P.S. My ultra 60 should be arriving this week as my new gentoo desktop at work!!
Rick
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard Drive swapout Reply with quote

Since I don't have any experience with the Ultra 5 I can't tell you about that, but if you want to copy the data of one disk to another then I would suggest using dd.
Ive used it a couple of months ago to replace a harddrive in a server and it worked perfectly.

I think I used "dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=64k" for it :)
Emphii
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Quote:
then I would suggest using dd.

NO! No dd, because the disks size are different.

If disks are same sized, then it would be ok, still I would find even same models (eg ST3457xX should dd to ST3457xX ; x=1-3 X=N,W,WD)

When you copy over, you may use cp, which also gives you possibility to change filesystem layout,
or make a tar package to the bigger size disk and then untar it for example via LiveCD. You can do the tar thing also from LiveCD. You just mount your
current gentoo disk to /mnt/gentoo and make new dir to /mnt, for example /mnt/newgentoo. This prevents to copy mounted 70gig disk to tar file too.

This LiveCD-thing would be most safe way to do it, and I recommend it, but anyone else might have different opinion.

Why not dd? Well, on HP-UX I've found, that if I copy disk over to another with dd - say 2gig to 9gig - The bigger one claims to be same sized as
smaller one. That is not what you, retroman, want to, is it?

Retroman wrote:
Quote:
Is there a maximum drive size?

I guess, it's the same size than in U10 - somewhere 127GB. You must have latest OBP installed
http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Systems/U5/U5.html

Quote:
Can I have more than one drive in the ultra 5 at one time?

Well. If there is two ide-channels, then you can. You may have to use separate ide-cable to install another drive, and be careful that it won't
shortcircuit anywhere if it can't be installed into the box. Perhaps you want to remove CD-drive to outside, while doing this overswap. You
just have to do it box open. =) No big deal.
Rick
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emphii wrote:
NO! No dd, because the disks size are different.
Oops, didn't think of that. That wasn't a problem for me since my drives where the same size back then :oops:
GenTimJS
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an ultra5 and have messed around quite a bit with drives.

I've found that up to 40 gigs, ive had zero issues.
With 80 gig drives, some (western digital) have worked fine and others (seagate) have been detected at wierd sizes (67 gig, 32gig, etc) by both solaris and linux.

In general, I -highly- suggest using the first disc in the solaris install CD set (free download) to partition the drive.. this will write a "sun disk label" on the disk pretty 'seamlessly' ... then use the gentoo CD, wipe the partitions, and do your normal thing.

As for the migration of data, if you mimic the partition layout you should be able to just copy all the data to the new partitions, remove the old drive and place the new one on the same ide location (primary slave, etc) as the old one was, then use the gentoo CD to chroot into your environment and re-install silo just for good measure.

that's just an idea however, and I could be full of crap.
retroman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Safe bet would be OBP Reply with quote

Looks like an upgrade of the OBP may be in order. this is what I have

'OBP 3.15.2 1998/11/10 10:35'

Would this version be something that should be upgraded to add a 40+ gig drive. If so is there a way to do it without a solaris partition

JCR
Emphii
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

retroman wrote:
Quote:
Would this version be something that should be upgraded to add a 40+ gig drive.

Atleast OBP version 3.31 there weren't problem to add 80gb disk to my U10. Only problem is to find proper layout. Some have done it via dos and some via Solaris.

Quote:
If so is there a way to do it without a solaris partition.

Well I tried many times to flash the patch with Gentoo - No success, so - You have to install Solaris for a while
to do the flashing. If possible, borrow 9 gig or similar disk somewhere and use that, if you don't want to (who want's to?) lose your Gentoo
installation. Solaris installation disks you get from Sun-site.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: