Network Install PXE/tftp problems
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
behindthesky
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Network Install PXE/tftp problems Reply with quote

Hello all,

I'm trying to take my first steps into Gentoo by installing it on my machine (currently running Slackware). The problem is, this is a Mini-ITX computer, and it has no CD-ROM or floppy drives, just a 40gig hard drive.

I've been following two guides about installing by using a TFTP server, PXE, and DHCP from another machine on the network (in my case running Slackware):

http://www.menteb.org/index.php?show=linux&id=2#dhcp

and

http://howtos.linux.com/howtos/Clone-HOWTO/setting-up.shtml

So far, I have followed the guides and it seems to have worked. Both guides mention the files "kernel" and "rescue.gz" which are supposed to be in the "isolinux" directory on the install CD. I couldn't find either of these files, so I took an educated guess that "kernel" == "gentoo" and "rescue.gz" == "gentoo.igz". This may well be wrong.

I have got to the point of booting the computer I am trying to install onto, and selecting the Network Boot option. It finds the DHCP server running on the machine I am installing from, and gets its IP address fine. It then gives the error message PXE-T01: File not found, PXE-E3B: TFTP Error - File Not found and refuses to go any further.

I have tried to troubleshoot this, and the only possibilities I have come up with so far are (a) my assumptions about the "kernel" and "rescue.gz" files were wrong, or (b) there is a problem with the TFTP server. If I run "tftp localhost" and then "get gentoo" on the machine I am installing from, it works fine. However, the same commands run on another machine on the network gives a "Permission Denied" error message. Perhaps the network boot is having the same problem when it is trying to get the kernel from the install server, and therefore giving the "file not found" error?

If necessary, I can post my pxelinux.cfg/default and dhcpd.conf files, but before I did that I thought I'd check if there was anything glaringly obvious that I've done wrong.

Thanks for your help,
Jamie
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a Gentoo PXE install HOWTO here: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/altinstall.xml#doc_chap5
behindthesky
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimchi_sg wrote:
There is a Gentoo PXE install HOWTO here: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/altinstall.xml#doc_chap5

I have looked at that; isn't that a guide for installing a completely diskless system? i.e. no hard drive? It doesn't seem to be suited to what I want to do..
behindthesky
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: I have now fixed the permissions problem with tftp (I can now get files from the server machine to another machine on the network with no problem), but I'm still getting the "PXE-T01: File not found, PXE-E3B: TFTP Error - File Not found" error on boot.

Any ideas?
dragoncity99
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think u have not copy the pxelinux.0 to your /tftpboot directory.

CHeck ur pxelinux.cfg directory as well for ur rightconfig (the "default" file configuration)
zacman55
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having the exact same problem. I can retrieve the files on the computer in windows using a tftp client but recieve the file not found errors. I have memdisk and pxelinux.0 in the /tftpboot directory and the default configuration file in a pxelinux.cfg directory.

I followed instructions at this site http://silent.gumph.org/content/4/7/071-diskless-windows-pxe.html

I know the computer is talking to my bootp server as if I change the ip in /etc/bootptab, the laptop gets the new number on next boot.

I think the problem lies with my bios but the laptop does not have a cd or floppy drive so no way to boot the firmware update disks. If I could boot once then I think I would be in good shape. Any hacks?

Also, I don't get any messages about bootp or tftp in my /var/log/messages or syslog files. How can I enable logging for inetd services.
sanity
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I know what your problems are.

I was getting this error about not being able to find the file on the TFTP server from a PXE boot client, while my TFTP client worked just fine.

I finally figured it out. Here's how:

First of all, get rid of ALL bootp related resources on your TFTP/DHCP server. dhcpd provides bootp internally, via these config options:

Code:
allow booting;
allow bootp;

Second, for some reason, these options work for my dhcpd.conf:

Code:
next-server your.tftpd.server;
filename "/pxegrub";

Next-server is the name of the TFTP server. Make sure you use the "filename" command, there was some "option" command that would always screw it up, but the "filename" command worked.

If you want to use GRUB, you can copy pxegrub and stage2.netboot from /usr/lib/grub to /tftproot, and you should set filename to "/pxegrub". Also, you may want to specify a grub.conf file, which needs some special DHCP tweaking:

Code:
option grub-config code 150 = string;
option grub-config "(nd)/grub.conf";

The grub.conf can be used however you like. (nd) points to the TFTP server. With that in place, you can easily create a menu to allow each client to choose an OS on boot. I'm slowly porting my favorite boot CDs to be netboot-capable, and adding them to that grub config.

Finally, make sure you've got tftp-hpa installed, and NO other tftpd clients. Your /etc/conf.d/in.tftpd file should look like this:

Code:
# Config file for /etc/init.d/in.tftpd
# Remove the -l if you use [x]inetd

INTFTPD_PATH="/tftproot"
INTFTPD_OPTS="-l -s ${INTFTPD_PATH} -a your.ip.address"

The -l option forces it to not run from inetd. Inetd seems a little obsolete to me -- if a server isn't being used, it can be swapped out.
The -s option sets it to chroot to the TFTP root dir. If you have this set, you must NOT include the TFTP root dir in the "filename" command (back in dhcpd.conf).
The -a option sets it to run on a particular ip address / port, which is useful for me because this is on a gateway machine, and I don't want to provide TFTP to the entire Internet.

That's it. Any more configuration of the TFTP server is overkill, and that config right there should be enough to get you going. Also, tftp-hpa is one of only two TFTP servers I know of which actually support PXE booting -- there's something not implemented in some other ones.

You can always set up NFS if you need it, remembering (of course) that GRUB has no support for NFS, so the NFS server is only used after the boot.
saltine
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just posted a script to setup network booting.
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-322744-highlight-pxe.html
Perhaps it could help ya.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: