Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 25, 26, 27  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chiwi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey the guide is great!,
smtp works fine and fetchmail works fine too. I'm having problems with (i think) imap.
I've configured kmail correctly, but it seems that never receives any email. Although they are received because i can see them with another email client such as pine. I don't know if i'm missing something here.

please, i've searched everywhere, gone thruogh almost all posts and found nothing. I dont know what to do. I need some help here, let me know if you need some configuration files.

thanks guys.

c.
menetto
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: some changes to the spamassassin section Reply with quote

I have made an adjustment in the section for installing SpamAssassin. The emerge command is
Code:
emerge spamassassin
instead of
Code:
emerge Mail-SpamAssassin

I have also added information on spamassassin-ruledujour.
Sorry I didn't post it here, but I was waiting to log in, when it suddenly was saved. And I overlooked the section for changes :? .
Hope you like it though. Great tutorial btw. Maybe add a message about clamassassin? That's for virus scanning.
greatguru
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:23 am    Post subject: Thanks for the great guide!! Reply with quote

I'd like to thank beowulf for the EXCELLENT guide on this. I was just wondering if perhaps you could add the info given by LiamRoutt into the guide about creating your own certs. I followed the guide to the T earlier today and was frustrated b/c of the Thunderbird errors. Thunderbird doesn't like unsigned certs. or at least the default ones provided by postfix, so I was stumped for a couple hours until I found that posting on page 20. Adding it to the guide would be of great benefit to many who use Thunderbird....

also, another small note, but you (in several places) mentioned /etc/courier-imap/authdaemondrc when in fact it's /etc/courier-imap/authdaemonrc. I don't point this out to be a jerk, only because it stumped me for a little while when tab-completion wasn't getting the file and I was confused as to what file we were looking for...

EXCELLENT guide!!! Thanks a bunch beowulf!!!!!

-GreatGuru
bubbas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: bogotrainer2 script-update! Reply with quote

SCRIPT OUTDATED, newest informations in the Bogotrainer-Thread

Hi,

thank you very much for this excellent Howto, beowulf!

I had a little time these days and i was willing to learn python. So i decided to finetune the nice script from Chris Smith, because it is a little outdated and has some problems due to changes of bogofilter and courier-imap. In fact it was told already here in this thread that one needs to add the "courierimapkeywords" to the ignored folders. Also the name of the wordlist has changed so that the script run the database generation every time instead of only once.

So i wrote the script based on the old one, but with some fancier output and adapted to the current situation, also it is more configurable now.

If someone wonders why i put somuch work in the output, it is because i wanted to practice gentoo-like console output with python. All i can say is that i have found my favorite scripting language. Python is great for such small scripts!

Ok now to the script:

It is now in three parts. One is the real bogotrainer script (bogotrainer2.py) with some modifications and some more configuration options, second a module which contains all the output functions (md_output.py) and third another module (md_dirtest.py) which contains some tests if all necessary folders exist. All three parts have to be in the same folder but only bogotrainer2.py needs to be executable (chmod +x bogotrainer2.py). You can find the scripts at the end of my posting in a tar.gz archive which also contains a readme i recommend to read before use, especially for the configuration options! The scripts were too large to post here in the thread and im not sure if all the identation would be ok, so i think its better to download it:
bogotrainer-2.1.0.tar.gz

For using it just follow the section 9. Bogofilter Mail Filtering Solution of this Email System For The Home Network thread until point 9.1.4. Then follow my instuctions here.

Copy all three files bogotrainer2.py, md_output.py and md_dirtest.py to a directory.

for example:
Code:

~/bin/bogotrainer2.py
 ~/bin/md_output.py
~/bin/md_dirtest.py

Adapt bogotrainer2.py to your needs changing the configuration options. If you have doubt about how to do that read the included readme.txt
Change your maildir if you use something different than ~/.maildir/
Also make sure your bogofilter directory exists and is set correct
in the script.

for example:
Code:

~/.bogofilter/

If you created your ".Spam", ".Spam.False-Positives", ".Spam.False-Negatives"
like descriped in part 9.1.1 your done, otherwise change the configuration in the script. If you use a Ham Folder other then ".Ham" then also configure it.

Make the script executable
Code:

chmod +x ~/bin/bogotrainer2.py

Run it for generating the database with your messages
Code:

~/bin/bogotrainer2.py

In your ~/.procmailrc add these recipies before all your other recipies:

Code:

# filter mail through bogofilter, tagging it as spam and
# updating the wordlist
:0fw
| bogofilter -d ~/.bogofilter/ -u -e -p

# if bogofilter failed, return the mail to the queue, the MTA will
# retry to deliver it later
# 75 is the value for EX_TEMPFAIL in /usr/include/sysexits.h
:0e
{ EXITCODE=75 HOST }

# file the mail to spam-bogofilter if it's spam.
:0:
* ^X-Bogosity: Yes, tests=bogofilter
.Spam/

This was taken from the bogofilter manpage!

where "~/.bogofilter/" has to be the same as you used in the script
configuration above and "./Spam" has to be your spamfolder

Add this line to your crontab:

Code:

user@server $ crontab -e

01 23 * * * ~/bin/bogotrainer2.py >/dev/null 2>&1

This sets it to run once a day at 23:01, you can change it. Once a day is about right.
This was wrong on the howto on the first page of this thread because like it is there it will run every minute from 23.00 to 23.59
every minute!

From here you can go on with the original thread again.

I want to thank beowulf for this guide, without it i wouldn't have a running mailsystem *g*
Thx to Chris Smith for the original bogotrainer script, i learned much from it!
Thx to Merlin-TC for pointing out that imap folders containing whitespaces werent working. Fixed now!
Thx to MarkG for poiting out problems with imap folders containing some special characters. Fixed now!

I have to say no warranty for what this script does to you or your mail. I have tested it as good i could but there can always be
situations a script doesn't what one expects. You are free to use and modify it but please let us all know about so we can make
it better or correct errors!

sorry for bad english!

if you want to contact me dont doubt in writing me a PM, i will answer as early i can. I would like to hear your sugestions and also if you find any error!

salu2

vale

ChangeLog:

06-01-2005
Initial public release 2.0

06-03-2005
Version 2.1 released
* moved md_bgt.py to md_output.py
* added more tests for checking if all needed directories exists
* moved directory tests to md_dirtest.py, for more clarity
* added support for imap directories containing whitespaces
* fixed broken specific Hamfolder (.Ham) support
* fixed missing import sys in md_output.py

22-03-2005
Version 2.1.1
* fix for special characters in imap folder names

Download Script:
Bogotrainer Thread

Last edited by bubbas on Sun May 08, 2005 2:57 pm; edited 6 times in total
stalinski
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real nice guide, exspecially the one with bogotrainer2 pleasures me...

Oki, now i will do a little bit Helper Work.

found by looking around in the protagee Tree and getting a little bit Help from a tutorial in the French Forum. ((Which was very annoying, cause i don't do speak a single word french...))
The guide will be found under: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=246082 written by chipsterjulien.
Thanks to him although i havent understood his French descriptions ;)

Virusprotection with Clamassassin and Clamav

what we need:
Code:
#emerge -a clamassassin clamav

Next we have to do some editworks with clamavs Configfiles:
/etc/freshclam.conf
comment:
Code:
9: #example

this is everything we have to do there ,)

Next, get /etc/clamd.conf
comment:
Code:
8: #example

uncomment the following lines:
Code:
76: FIxStaleSocket
133: User clamav
190: ScanMail
214: ScanArchieve

I also activated support for rar archieves
Code:
222: ScanRAR

Now we are finished with the configuration.

lets fire up freshclam:
Code:
/etc/init.d/clamd start

And you should get:
Code:
/etc/init.d/clamd start
 * Starting freshclam...                            [ ok ]

Add clamd to deafult runlevel:
Code:
rc-update add clamd default

Next thing we should create an virus folder:
Code:
maildirmake ~/.maildir/.virus

And adjust our .procmailrc:
Code:
#clamassassin Antivirus...
:0fw: clamassassin.lock
| /usr/bin/clamassassin

* ^X-Virus-Status: Yes
.Virus/

Or use:
Code:
#clamassassin Antivirus...
:0fw: clamassassin.lock
| /usr/bin/clamassassin

:0e
{ EXITCODE=75 HOST }

* ^X-Virus-Status: Yes
.Virus/

Now we should have finished everything.
Send yourself an email and you should see in its Headers:
Code:
X-Virus-Status: No

if there was a virus inside you should get:
Code:
X-Virus-Status: Yes

and a additional line showing which one was found.

I hope i could have helped a little bit ;)
digby_ttf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just like to say thanks for the great guide.

I have just one adjustment I'd make to clarify something.

6.2 Automating and Finalizing
Quote:

*/10 * * * * /usr/bin/fetchmail -a -s -m "/usr/bin/procmail -d \%T"

The commad above, most specificaly the -a option caused me some trouble.

I'd worked out how set one of my accounts to leave messages on server.
Quote:

set postmaster "2ls-beo"
poll pop.huah.com with proto POP3 uidl auth password user "beowulf_999" there with password "rpop-pass" is 2ls-beo here options keep warnings 3600

However I just could not work out why it kept fetching ones it had read already.
It turned out to be the -a option on fetchmail. This option tells it to collect everything regardless of status.

Whilst this is useful if you check a primary account on another machine, this is not so useful if you have a work account you need to check with the mail server we have just setup.

Looking into the fetchmail man page reveals the -f option which allows you to specify an alternate path.

Two cron jobs could then be set, one to run fetchmail with the -a reading an rc file that contains the accounts that are to be permanently downloaded, then another without -a that contains accounts that are to be left as found on the server.

I don't think I've explained this too well but I hope you get the idea.

Would it be possible to update the guide to mention the significance of the -a option in certain situations.

Once again, thanks for the guide.
aronparsons
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those wanting to use 465 for SSL communications, if Postfix keeps complaining, change the entry in 'master.cf' for 'smtps' to 'ssmtp'. 'smtps' is not defined in /etc/services, thus, Postfix won't start with it enabled. Just thought I"d add my 2 cents after spending a couple of hours hacking at it.

Sorry if this has been covered, I haven't read through all 22 pages of posts. :)
orionrobots
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Nice one Reply with quote

Having played with this to tighten up security on the orionrobots.co.uk mailserver - I spotted a few things. First I made a fix in the bogo script - so it ignored the courierimap keywords a hieracl directories. This was before I noticed the V2.
The other thing is that the clamassassin system is easier to set up than the amavis one initially linked to by the guide. I had a lot of problems with amavis.
If you find postfix log messages still referring to amavis when you have removed it - try this:

Code:
 postsuper -r

This will requeue all messages.
I am still playing with this set-up, but at the moment it is catching most spam and viruses, where before I was relying on client filters.

Orion
lysergicacid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: anyone had this prob please ? Reply with quote

[edit] deleted this post as fixed problem, gone back to gentoo vmail setup [/edit]

Last edited by lysergicacid on Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:29 am; edited 2 times in total
webnoelle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello :) first off i'd like to say that this is a great guide. I struggled through putting together my own email system, before finding this guide. I found some things I very much liked in here, so I went back and fine tuned my own system.

My question is, once SpamAssasin is up and running, and Spam is detected for someone, where does that message go? I remember running the

Code:
maildirmake -f spam ~/maildir

command. but I didn't see any directory or anything new actually created by that command. I am using squirrelmail, is there a way for that spam to be re-directed to say a squirrelmail folder or something?

Thanks to any help someone can provide!!!

[edit]

I found the .spam directory, but I'm not sure how to tell if the filter is processing correctly. The X-Spam-Level tag in the headers does not have a value next to it. Any ideas? Thanks!

My headers looks like:
Code:

X-Spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 3.0.2-gr0 (2004-11-16) on
     romeo.webnoelle.com
X-Spam-Level:
X-Spam-Status: No, score=0.0 required=5.0 tests=none autolearn=unavailable
     version=3.0.2-gr0
tkhobbes
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there

Please, could someone desperately help me! I did an emerge --world today and now the whole system does not work any more.

It seems to have something to do with new / different authentication mechanisms (or, more precise, with new configuration settings), but since I am not really an expert on these things (yet), I would appreciate if someone could tell me what to alter in order to get my system up and running again.

Neither Squirrelmail ("connection dropped by imap-server") nor my outlook-client (something about "temporary error") do work...

thanks a lot in advance
thomas
j-m
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tkhobbes wrote:
Hi there

It seems to have something to do with new / different authentication mechanisms (or, more precise, with new configuration settings), but since I am not really an expert on these things (yet), I would appreciate if someone could tell me what to alter in order to get my system up and running again.

Many threads in this forum: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewforum.php?f=18

Some hints:

configs moved to /etc/courier/authlib
/etc/init.d/courier-authlib start
cheeby
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice hints!

My system was back up and running in under five minutes. I had to edit authdaemonrc so as to remove authmysql from the authmodulelist:

Code:
authmodulelist="authshadow authpam"

since I noticed in the mail logs:

Code:
Feb  5 17:13:04 [authdaemond] failed to connect to mysql server (server=mysql.example.com, userid=admin): Unknown MySQL Server Host 'mysql.example.com' (1)

that authdaemon was attempting to use a mysql db for authentication, which I don't bother with on this sytem.

Thanks again!

cheeby
tkhobbes
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all

Thanks a lot - I searched through the forum yesterday already, but somehow nothing did work.
However, after re-booting the server today, everything is up and running again - so probably, I messed up with some init-scripts and lost the overview on which were restarted and which not... :)

thomas
carpman
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, having a little trouble getting this to work and am confused over couple of lines.

In section 3.2 you have line

Code:

smtpd_client_restrictions = permit_sasl_authenticated, reject

With this set email was not being accepted and client host was rejects, remove 'reject' and it is not rejected but i getting error about connection 127.0.0.0 refused. Went over guide again and found that i needed to edit this line:

Code:

smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_sasl_authenticated, reject

to this

Code:

smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_sasl_authenticated, permit_mynetworks, reject

Problem is this line does not exist in guide!

Wondering if you mean the first line:

Code:

smtpd_client_restrictions = permit_sasl_authenticated, reject

SATA Areca 1210 Raid
BFG OC2 8800 GTS 640mb
--------------------------------
Notebook
Samsung Q45 7100 4gb
carpman
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, not sure if this is related to my previous post but will list more details on my problems:

When receiving external email logs show:

Code:

Feb 18 15:34:47 smartmail postfix/smtpd[26610]: starting TLS engine
Feb 18 15:34:47 smartmail postfix/smtpd[26610]: connect from localhost[127.0.0.1]
Feb 18 15:34:47 smartmail postfix/smtpd[26610]: BB34D658B: client=localhost[127.0.0.1]
Feb 18 15:34:47 smartmail postfix/cleanup[26613]: BB34D658B: message-id=<20050218153412.6FC1CEDFDC@ws6-1.us4.outblaze.com>
Feb 18 15:34:47 smartmail postfix/qmgr[27960]: BB34D658B: from=<michael@mydomain.com>, size=1331, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Feb 18 15:34:47 smartmail postfix/lmtp[26614]: BB34D658B: to=<sysadmin@localhost.home.com>, orig_to=<sysadmin@localhost>, relay=none, delay=0, status=deferred (connect to 127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1]: Connection refused)
Feb 18 15:34:47 smartmail postfix/smtpd[26610]: disconnect from localhost[127.0.0.1]

The sysadmin account does receive error message mail from mailer-daemon ok

The other issue is connecting from kmail, this is for checking mail and trying to subscribe to folders which gives error 'connection to host 192.168.1.3 lost' with messages logs showing:

Code:

Feb 18 15:34:47 smartmail postfix/smtpd[26610]: disconnect from localhost[127.0.0.1]
Feb 18 15:35:57 smartmail imapd-ssl: Connection, ip=[::ffff:192.168.1.189]
Feb 18 15:35:57 smartmail authdaemond: ldap_simple_bind_s failed: Can't contact LDAP server
Feb 18 15:35:57 smartmail imapd-ssl: LOGIN FAILED, method=PLAIN, ip=[::ffff:192.168.1.189]
Feb 18 15:35:57 smartmail imapd-ssl: authentication error: Input/output error
Feb 18 15:35:59 smartmail postfix/qmgr[27960]: 12F1F6588: from=<michael@innes.com>, size=1331, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Feb 18 15:35:59 smartmail postfix/qmgr[27960]: 22DEB4EC0: from=<michael@innes.com>, size=1331, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Feb 18 15:35:59 smartmail postfix/lmtp[26614]: 12F1F6588: to=<sysadmin@localhost.getsmaart.com>, orig_to=<sysadmin@localhost>, relay=none, delay=1085, status=deferred (connect to 127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1]: Connection refused)
Feb 18 15:36:00 smartmail postfix/lmtp[26619]: 22DEB4EC0: to=<sysadmin@localhost.getsmaart.com>, orig_to=<sysadmin@localhost>, relay=none, delay=1276, status=deferred (connect to 127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1]: Connection refused)

any ideas?

cheers
SATA Areca 1210 Raid
BFG OC2 8800 GTS 640mb
Notebook
Samsung Q45 7100 4gb
carpman
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorted :)
SATA Areca 1210 Raid
BFG OC2 8800 GTS 640mb
Notebook
Samsung Q45 7100 4gb
tkhobbes
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all

It's me again. :)

Now, afte I have set up a Gentoo-client with evolution, I want to be able to connect to my IMAP-server, of course.
However, the connection does not work; Evolution (2.0.2) is either complaining about "connection refues" (when using SSL and authentication method=password) or about "authentication method digest-md5 not supported" when using SSL and authentication medhod digest-md5.

What do I need to do? I mean, it worked in Outlook, so it can't be... ;-)
carpman
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, ok i setting this up behind a firewall, smoothwall corp, and was wondering if i can set it so local users do not need all the security settings and can log on without them, just keeping the security side of things for remote logins?

Or is this not possible?

cheers
SATA Areca 1210 Raid
BFG OC2 8800 GTS 640mb
Notebook
Samsung Q45 7100 4gb
carpman
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have few points need clearing up:

when starting courier-imap-ssl the service starts ok but there is nothing about authdaemon.plain starting which is what is shown happening in this guide.

I can start the authdaemon.plain manually ok.

I have tried connecting to server via thunderbird, seem to connect ok but cannot subscibe any folders?

Also want to run fetchmail as daemon, how i set it so with anti virus it is forwarded to port 25 as suggested in guide.

also couple questions about config file:

/etc/conf.d/saslauthd

in the line
Code:

sasl_rimap-hostname""

should there be something between the "" ?

There is also a uncommneted line

Code:

SASLAUTHD_OPTS="${SASLAUTH_MECH} -a pam"

should this be uncommented?

cheers
SATA Areca 1210 Raid
BFG OC2 8800 GTS 640mb
Notebook
Samsung Q45 7100 4gb
rpmohn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tkhobbes wrote:
Hi all

It's me again. :)

Now, afte I have set up a Gentoo-client with evolution, I want to be able to connect to my IMAP-server, of course.
However, the connection does not work; Evolution (2.0.2) is either complaining about "connection refues" (when using SSL and authentication method=password) or about "authentication method digest-md5 not supported" when using SSL and authentication medhod digest-md5.

What do I need to do? I mean, it worked in Outlook, so it can't be... ;-)

I'm having this exact same problem with Evolution :( ! If you have resolved this, please tell me how!
Thanks! -RPM
bubbas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think you have made an non standard ssl certificate
rpmohn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bubbas wrote:

Sounds reasonable. I'll try making a new one...
rpmohn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmohn wrote:
bubbas wrote:

Sounds reasonable. I'll try making a new one...

No luck on that. Interesting piece of information -- I was able to setup mutt to use IMAP-SSL and connect sucessfully, so it seems to definitely be a problem with my emerge of Evolution :( . I'm about to emerge thunderbird and give that a try as well...

Any thoughts? -RPM
rpmohn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmohn wrote:
Interesting piece of information -- I was able to setup mutt to use IMAP-SSL and connect sucessfully, so it seems to definitely be a problem with my emerge of Evolution :( . I'm about to emerge thunderbird and give that a try as well...

Deleting the email accounts, closing evolution, then creating the email accounts all over again solved the problem. I'll never hear the end of this from my wife. :( :x :(
-RPM
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 22 of 27

Jump to: