Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Is mounting /dev/loop writable, seems it should be that way.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Decibels
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 4:19 pm    Post subject: Is mounting /dev/loop writable, seems it should be that way. Reply with quote

Having a little trouble on the learning curve with loopback devices. Seems a lot of stuff I am reading says I should be able to modify the contents as long as the file I am mounting is on a writeable media like a harddrive.

Example: Trying to edit the partimage iso. I have it stored on my harddrive.
Have no problem mounting in on the loop device, but even though it says:
Quote:
partimage-0.6.2-bootcd-1.iso: Linux rev 1.0 ext2 filesystem data

I always have to mount it with '-t iso9660'. Otherwise no files show up in the folder I mount it to.

According to this and others I have seen:
Quote:
After this an ls of /mnt will show all the files that will appear on the floppy disk when this image file is transferred to it. This is a "live" file system. That is, it can be modified just like any other read/write file system mounted as a block device. The changes made to the file system while mounted become part of the image file and will be reflected on the floppy constructed from that image. Of course, in our example the file image resides on a read-only medium so changes aren't possible, but when the image file resides on a writable medium, like the hard disk, then those kinds of changes become possible.

I understand that I probably can't change the contents of a iso9660 filesystem even if mounted on a writeable media, but if I mount it ext2 then it won't show any files or anything.

Also, I have tried to mount it writable and remount it so. I show it as such, but still no go.

Quote:
mount -rw -v -t iso9660 partimage-0.6.2-bootcd-1.iso /home/decibels/imagetest -o loop
mount: going to use the loop device /dev/loop0
/home/decibels/partimage-0.6.2-bootcd-1.iso on /home/decibels/imagetest type iso9660 (rw,loop=/dev/loop0)

The other option is to copy the contents of that folder and make a iso out of that. But that seems to fly in the face of being able to edit the iso in place on a writeable media like the harddrive it is saved on.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: