Quake3 sound issues
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BradB
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 9:56 pm    Post subject: Quake3 sound issues Reply with quote

I know from searching the forums & net that this has been done almost to death. However, nobody seams to have exactly my problem (or perhaps my searching skills are poor). Anyhow, I recently installed Q3A for Gentoo & was very pleasantly surprised that it worked very well out of the emerge, except for sound. I run alsa drivers on a VIA mobo AC97 (via686 chipset) I also run KDE. Using
Code:
artsdsp -m quake3

quake will run, but sound is delayed approx 1-2 seconds. Without this Q3 will lock up at the first access to /dev/dsp, or run without sound complaining that it needs mem-mapped sound.
Since I don't know much about OSS/ALSA, but did remember compiling kernel modules. So a quick "alsasound stop", "modprobe -r" the remaining modules & then modprobe the OSS modules and whalla I have OSS sound. Quake3 now loads find, with sound synced correctly - I like this. The first arena plays correctly, but all the Teir 1 arenas don't. They freeze as soon as you drop in & the voice normally announces you. I suspect that there is some kind of conflict where 2 or more sounds are playing at once.
Well that's about as much as I can remember, any help would be very appreciated. Oh, my GF card is a GF2GTS.

Cheers
Brad
Pigeon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens when you use a wm other than KDE? Try one without a sound daemon like blackbox, or even plain ol' twm. (I usually run q3 from twm- better performance)

The "alsasound stop; modprobe xxx" works because (I think) it forcibly kills arts (kde sound daemon) or at least shuts it off for a while. Arts' job is to mix all the sound streams together so you can use more than one sound-producing application at once. However, if your CPU usage is maxxed out like it is while playing quake3, arts doesn't get the CPU time it needs to mix all that together, and lags. At least, I think.

As for fixing it for use in kde, you could probably renice arts to a higher priority, which might slow down your computer a lot should arts wigg out on you, or you can run quake3 at a lowered priority, which may result in choppy gameplay. I'm not familiar with arts and kde in general, so I can't help you with option 1. A total shot in the dark would be 'ps -A|grep arts' and renice anything that comes up to a higher priority. For option 2, just do 'artsdsp -m nice quake3'.
BradB
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points. I tried running Quake via plain xdm - can't remember the results, I'll have to try that again.

Brad
tux-fan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have had that sound problem too. I solved it by not loading the artsd. U can disable the artsd in KDE's control center.
Russki
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a tip:
Sometimes, quake3 (and it's mods) have sound problems when you have esd+artsd running.
Check if you have esd running and kill it.

I never had ARTS in KDE enabled. ALSA did everything perfect.
xurf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had exaclty the same problem with arts/kde3.1/quake3 - a delay of 1-2 secs with 'artsdsp -m quake3', or a hang on startup without. Many thanks to Pigeon as

artsdsp -m nice quake3

works a treat.
Predator
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 7:34 pm    Post subject: Playing Q3 while listening with XMMS Reply with quote

Is there a possibility to run xmms and q3a at the same time?
w/ Gnome w/o esd !

When XMMS is running and I start q3a - loading stops at q3a sound initializing...

I think it's because /dev/dsp is in use, but there must be a way...

thanks
Uranus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have xmms using /dev/adsp and quake3 using normal /dev/dsp
Predator
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/dev/dsp is my only output device !

ess solo1 - alsa 0.90